Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 01:07 pm
vatana@sbcglobal.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default changing manual to automatic

i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
possible to change it to automatic?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 01:39 pm
Elliot Richmond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

On 29 Mar 2006 11:07:02 -0800, vatana@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
>possible to change it to automatic?


We have experts on this list that may answer your question. If they
don't, my gues would be no. Not without an enormous amount of effort.
You might have to replace the engine and transmission as well as the
radiator, center console, throttle linkages, etc. It would cost a lot
more than the car is worth and a lot more than just going out and
buying another Honda of similar vintage.

By the way, there may be posters on this list who want to know why you
can't drive a manual. I assert that is none of our business.



Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 03:38 pm
tww
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic


"Elliot Richmond" <xmrichmond@xaustin.xrr.xcom> wrote in message
news:tbol22htb6uc6c41ch6ql6peqmlvps8mgv@4ax.com...
> On 29 Mar 2006 11:07:02 -0800, vatana@sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> >i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
> >possible to change it to automatic?

>
> We have experts on this list that may answer your question. If they
> don't, my gues would be no. Not without an enormous amount of effort.
> You might have to replace the engine and transmission as well as the
> radiator, center console, throttle linkages, etc. It would cost a lot
> more than the car is worth and a lot more than just going out and
> buying another Honda of similar vintage.
>
> By the way, there may be posters on this list who want to know why you
> can't drive a manual. I assert that is none of our business.
>
>
>
> Elliot Richmond
> Freelance Science Writer and Editor


Actually, the path of least resistance would be to learn how. But, failing
that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd for a Prelude with
an automatic.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:47 pm
Jason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

In article <T7DWf.4211$C85.1551@dukeread10>, "tww" <twaugh5@cox.net> wrote:

> "Elliot Richmond" <xmrichmond@xaustin.xrr.xcom> wrote in message
> news:tbol22htb6uc6c41ch6ql6peqmlvps8mgv@4ax.com...
> > On 29 Mar 2006 11:07:02 -0800, vatana@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> >
> > >i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
> > >possible to change it to automatic?

> >
> > We have experts on this list that may answer your question. If they
> > don't, my gues would be no. Not without an enormous amount of effort.
> > You might have to replace the engine and transmission as well as the
> > radiator, center console, throttle linkages, etc. It would cost a lot
> > more than the car is worth and a lot more than just going out and
> > buying another Honda of similar vintage.
> >
> > By the way, there may be posters on this list who want to know why you
> > can't drive a manual. I assert that is none of our business.
> >
> >
> >
> > Elliot Richmond
> > Freelance Science Writer and Editor

>
> Actually, the path of least resistance would be to learn how. But, failing
> that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd for a Prelude with
> an automatic.


Yes, I agree with you. I subscribe to a car magazine and someone asked the
editor (a mechanic) this same question. The answer was that it would cost
over $2000. In other words, trading the 98 Prelude in on a car that has an
automatic tranmission would be the best option. I know how to drive a car
that has a manual transmission but prefer a car that has an auto.
transmission. Lots of people are like me--I saw some statistics indicating
that the vast majority of people prefer an auto. transmission.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We respect those subscribers that ask for advice or provide advice.
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:49 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

"Jason" <jason@nospam.com> wrote
"tww" <twaugh5@cox.net> wrote:
>> But, failing
>> that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd
>> for a Prelude with
>> an automatic.

>
> Yes, I agree with you. I subscribe to a car magazine and
> someone asked the
> editor (a mechanic) this same question. The answer was
> that it would cost
> over $2000. In other words, trading the 98 Prelude in on a
> car that has an
> automatic tranmission would be the best option. I know how
> to drive a car
> that has a manual transmission but prefer a car that has
> an auto.
> transmission. Lots of people are like me--I saw some
> statistics indicating
> that the vast majority of people prefer an auto.
> transmission.


I think the Car Talk guys got asked this question a few
years ago. IIRC they similarly concluded it would be cheaper
to trade the car in.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:51 pm
Larry J.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

Waiving the right to remain silent, "Elle"
<honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> said:

> "Jason" <jason@nospam.com> wrote
> "tww" <twaugh5@cox.net> wrote:
>>> But, failing
>>> that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd
>>> for a Prelude with an automatic.

>>
>> Yes, I agree with you. I subscribe to a car magazine and
>> someone asked the
>> editor (a mechanic) this same question. The answer was
>> that it would cost
>> over $2000. In other words, trading the 98 Prelude in on a
>> car that has an
>> automatic tranmission would be the best option. I know how
>> to drive a car
>> that has a manual transmission but prefer a car that has
>> an auto.
>> transmission. Lots of people are like me--I saw some
>> statistics indicating
>> that the vast majority of people prefer an auto.
>> transmission.

>
> I think the Car Talk guys got asked this question a few
> years ago. IIRC they similarly concluded it would be cheaper
> to trade the car in.


This question is asked hundred of times everywhere, and always gets
answered the same.

Sort of like the old, "Can I turn my B&W TV into color..?"

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
about the environment!" - 'Denny Crane'
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 05:27 pm
James
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

Yes but this question would be more like going from color to Black and
White...

Going from manual to automatic you lose: gas mileage and performance, and
really gain nothing...

"Larry J." <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9795A1BF4E5Dthefrogprince@70.169.32.36...
> Waiving the right to remain silent, "Elle"
> <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> said:
>
>> "Jason" <jason@nospam.com> wrote
>> "tww" <twaugh5@cox.net> wrote:
>>>> But, failing
>>>> that the better option would be to try and trade the 5spd
>>>> for a Prelude with an automatic.
>>>
>>> Yes, I agree with you. I subscribe to a car magazine and
>>> someone asked the
>>> editor (a mechanic) this same question. The answer was
>>> that it would cost
>>> over $2000. In other words, trading the 98 Prelude in on a
>>> car that has an
>>> automatic tranmission would be the best option. I know how
>>> to drive a car
>>> that has a manual transmission but prefer a car that has
>>> an auto.
>>> transmission. Lots of people are like me--I saw some
>>> statistics indicating
>>> that the vast majority of people prefer an auto.
>>> transmission.

>>
>> I think the Car Talk guys got asked this question a few
>> years ago. IIRC they similarly concluded it would be cheaper
>> to trade the car in.

>
> This question is asked hundred of times everywhere, and always gets
> answered the same.
>
> Sort of like the old, "Can I turn my B&W TV into color..?"
>
> --
> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>
> "I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
> about the environment!" - 'Denny Crane'



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2006, 07:56 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

<vatana@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1143659222.775975.88580@z34g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
> possible to change it to automatic?
>

Possible, but not even remotely practical. I once drove a van that had been
crudely converted to an automatic - it could even be started in any gear!
Anyway, think of all the times we are asked whether it is a manual or
automatic when buying parts and you will understand the scope of the chore.

I agree with so many others - if you will not be able to drive a stick,
trading for an auto is the way to go.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:14 am
Burt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

"James" <Private@email.com> wrote

> Yes but this question would be more like going from color to Black and
> White...


Going from color to B&W TV is easy. Just turn down the saturation.
Going from B&W TV into color is a technical challenge. The tube and
the board has to be redesigned.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:14 am
Burt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: changing manual to automatic

<vatana@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> i have a 98 prelude waitn to be used, but i cant drive a manual, is it
> possible to change it to automatic?


We did a swap long ago that went fine. The transmission needs a
cooler so you will need a 12" x 12" x 1" cooler from the salvage yard. You
will need a gear selector with the safety switch and the cable. You will need
the throttle cable and a throttle lever. And if the tranny is controlled by a
central computer, which ours didn't, then get a harness and TCU and
figure out how it integrates with the ECU. You will need a drive plate.

You might wonder why, but the swap cost about $500 in parts but to
trade in for an auto would cost 5 times as much. Plus, we love the car.

There was an argument over the neutral safety switch. I was for
it. Overall, it turned out fine but the whole project was remotely
practical... My next project will have to be "how to convert to
electric and achieve 100-mpg." - don't laugh, it's already been done.

















Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Automatic to Standard in Honda Accord Devils Advocate Honda 2 9 09 May 2006 06:10 am
2006 Civic 38 mpg manual 40 mpg automatic? A. Smith Honda 2 35 16 Nov 2005 01:49 pm
CRX Automatic to manual information? dBaiTx Honda 2 5 21 Sep 2004 01:57 pm
Manual vs automatic Rob G Acura 9 28 Aug 2004 10:24 am
changing manual transmission fluid jabba Honda 3 10 27 May 2004 08:47 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.