Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 11:10 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Revitalizing Oxygen Sensors ? ?

I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
'trick'. :-)

I tried Google but didn't find it.

Anybody got some GOOD links to Oxygen Sensor diagnosis / helps?

I have access to a basic oscilloscope and other tools. I know Bosch is a
dead end, but they are as reliable as volkswagen :-(


Thanks, 'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:11 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?



"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:
>
> I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
> 'trick'. :-)
>
> I tried Google but didn't find it.
>
> Anybody got some GOOD links to Oxygen Sensor diagnosis / helps?
>
> I have access to a basic oscilloscope and other tools. I know Bosch is a
> dead end, but they are as reliable as volkswagen :-(
>
> Thanks, 'Curly'




What about bead blasting? Of course, if the enclosed silicon is kaput,
you're SOL...

JT

(Who appreciates parts recycling (back to me) whenever possible)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 01:39 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in
news:44199C0A.56B0B96D@interbaun.com:

> I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
> 'trick'. :-)
>
> I tried Google but didn't find it.




Guess what. I saved that message. Here it is, including the headers:


-----------------------------------------------------
Xref: news rec.autos.makers.honda:460297
Path: cyclone.bc.net!newsfeed.stanford.edu!sn-xit-02!sn-xit-12!sn-xit-
06!sn-post-02!sn-post-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!mcmurtri
From: Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com>
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda
Subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:55:20 -0800
Organization: Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com
Message-ID: <mcmurtri-E71487.20552029032005@corp-radius.supernews.com>
References: <1112108379.854052.254060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X)
X-Complaints-To: abuse@supernews.com
Lines: 28

In article <1112108379.854052.254060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
"contagiouss_blue" <akmukerji@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I have unfortunately fallen into the hapless section of society facing
> both a cash crunch and car trouble at the same time...looking for
> salvation here.
>
> I need to replace the oxygen sensor on my 1996 civic HX... is this a
> task uncomplicated enough for me to undertake armed with a set of
> tools? My skills : can use tools and can comprehend clear legible
> instructions. Will something like a Haynes Manual give me the required
> know-how for the job??
>
> Suggestions/tips are highly appreciated.


It's simple to remove it. An O2 sensor wrench would be easiest if it's
stuck on but mine came off easily with an adjustable wrench.

If it's failing because it's slow, you might be able to clean it. Fill
a stainless steel pan with 1/3 Lime Away tile cleaner (acid) and 2/3
purified water. Drop in the whole sensor and boil lightly for an hour
or two. Rinse thoroughly and boil it two more times using only purified
water. Mount it on the car and immediately drive to burn off the water.

I've done it twice so far. I figured the second time would ruin it but
it still works perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 01:46 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in
news:44199C0A.56B0B96D@interbaun.com:

> I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
> 'trick'. :-)
>
> I tried Google but didn't find it.
>
> Anybody got some GOOD links to Oxygen Sensor diagnosis / helps?




This page shows some waveforms, good and bad:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h37.pdf
Lots of official Toyota docs at Autoshop101.

Another one that looks good:
http://www.interro.com/techoxy.html




--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 06:03 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in
news:44199C0A.56B0B96D@interbaun.com:

> I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
> 'trick'. :-)
>
> I tried Google but didn't find it.
>





Guess what. I saved that message. Here it is, including the headers:


-----------------------------------------------------
Xref: news rec.autos.makers.honda:460297
Path: cyclone.bc.net!newsfeed.stanford.edu!sn-xit-02!sn-xit-12!sn-xit-
06!sn-post-02!sn-post-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!mcmurtri
From: Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com>
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda
Subject: Re: Oxygen Sensor
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:55:20 -0800
Organization: Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com
Message-ID: <mcmurtri-E71487.20552029032005@corp-radius.supernews.com>
References: <1112108379.854052.254060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
User-Agent: MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X)
X-Complaints-To: abuse@supernews.com
Lines: 28

In article <1112108379.854052.254060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
"contagiouss_blue" <akmukerji@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I have unfortunately fallen into the hapless section of society facing
> both a cash crunch and car trouble at the same time...looking for
> salvation here.
>
> I need to replace the oxygen sensor on my 1996 civic HX... is this a
> task uncomplicated enough for me to undertake armed with a set of
> tools? My skills : can use tools and can comprehend clear legible
> instructions. Will something like a Haynes Manual give me the required
> know-how for the job??
>
> Suggestions/tips are highly appreciated.


It's simple to remove it. An O2 sensor wrench would be easiest if it's
stuck on but mine came off easily with an adjustable wrench.

If it's failing because it's slow, you might be able to clean it. Fill
a stainless steel pan with 1/3 Lime Away tile cleaner (acid) and 2/3
purified water. Drop in the whole sensor and boil lightly for an hour
or two. Rinse thoroughly and boil it two more times using only purified
water. Mount it on the car and immediately drive to burn off the water.

I've done it twice so far. I figured the second time would ruin it but
it still works perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:17 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?


"Grumpy AuContraire" <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in message
news:4419AB76.117B2581@GrumpyvilleNOT.com...
>
> What about bead blasting? Of course, if the enclosed silicon is kaput,
> you're SOL...
>
> JT
>
> (Who appreciates parts recycling (back to me) whenever possible)


I think that would doom the sensor. My understanding is they are a porous
zirconia cup with platinum film inside and outside to create the electrodes.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:35 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:44199C0A.56B0B96D@interbaun.com...
>I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
> 'trick'. :-)
>
> I tried Google but didn't find it.
>
> Anybody got some GOOD links to Oxygen Sensor diagnosis / helps?
>
> I have access to a basic oscilloscope and other tools. I know Bosch is a
> dead end, but they are as reliable as volkswagen :-(
>
>
> Thanks, 'Curly'


The best explanation I've seen, complete with test info, is from Rick
Kirchoff http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

I've used a scope with some success before. Set the vertical up DC coupled,
to read a 0 volt to 1 volt range, and about 100 ms per division sweep. You
will see the .45 volt bias Rick describes until the sensor warms up, then it
quickly moves into the 0 volt to .9 volt transitions. The waveform is very
incoherent, of course, but you will see very rapid transitions... IIRC, on
the order of 10 ms for a good sensor. At idle the transitions should be
continuous; if you see periods when the transitions pause even though the
engine operation is steady there may very well be vacuum or fuel leaks. The
one I was looking at had a dripping throttle body injector. The ECU would
acquire an idle mixture for a second or two, then the voltage went high
(rich) and the ECU chased it until the mixture was lean and it had to find
the correct setting again. Stupid Taurus!

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:36 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in
news:34udnW8YX54hhofZnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@sedona.net:

>
> "Grumpy AuContraire" <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in message
> news:4419AB76.117B2581@GrumpyvilleNOT.com...
>>
>> What about bead blasting? Of course, if the enclosed silicon is
>> kaput, you're SOL...
>>
>> JT
>>
>> (Who appreciates parts recycling (back to me) whenever possible)

>
> I think that would doom the sensor. My understanding is they are a
> porous zirconia cup with platinum film inside and outside to create
> the electrodes.
>



Yep.
http://www.dynacer.com/oxygen_sensors.htm

Bead blasting would destroy the outer platinum. And you'd then not have the
ability of electron flow, which requires both an anode and a cathode...

I wonder if pure heat and no chemicals would do it, if you could heat up
the element enough to burn off contaminants? Platinum melts at 3,200F.
Exhaust gas in the combustion chamber is about 2,300F.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:37 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns978896596FE86tegger@207.14.113.17...
> "'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in
> news:44199C0A.56B0B96D@interbaun.com:
>
>> I once saw a web page where a guy claimed you could make an O2 sensor
>> work like new by boiling it in bleach, (or something like that). I've
>> got three Hondas (six O2 sensors) that might benefit from such a
>> 'trick'. :-)
>>
>> I tried Google but didn't find it.
>>
>> Anybody got some GOOD links to Oxygen Sensor diagnosis / helps?

>
>
>
> This page shows some waveforms, good and bad:
> http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h37.pdf
> Lots of official Toyota docs at Autoshop101.
>
> Another one that looks good:
> http://www.interro.com/techoxy.html
>
>
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


And http://users.cnnw.net/~fourty/uses.html


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2006, 01:24 am
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: __ 'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?

In article <Xns9788DBDA09F28tegger@207.14.113.17>,
"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote:

> "Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in
> news:34udnW8YX54hhofZnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@sedona.net:
>
> >
> > "Grumpy AuContraire" <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in message
> > news:4419AB76.117B2581@GrumpyvilleNOT.com...
> >>
> >> What about bead blasting? Of course, if the enclosed silicon is
> >> kaput, you're SOL...
> >>
> >> JT
> >>
> >> (Who appreciates parts recycling (back to me) whenever possible)

> >
> > I think that would doom the sensor. My understanding is they are a
> > porous zirconia cup with platinum film inside and outside to create
> > the electrodes.
> >

>
>
> Yep.
> http://www.dynacer.com/oxygen_sensors.htm
>
> Bead blasting would destroy the outer platinum. And you'd then not have the
> ability of electron flow, which requires both an anode and a cathode...
>
> I wonder if pure heat and no chemicals would do it, if you could heat up
> the element enough to burn off contaminants? Platinum melts at 3,200F.
> Exhaust gas in the combustion chamber is about 2,300F.


I tried that on a really dead sensor. The buildup melts when it's white
hot.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Oxygen Sensors Stacek the Wise Honda 2 6 28 Jun 2007 09:41 am
Multiple oxygen sensors: Some information TeGGeR® Honda 3 12 12 Aug 2006 08:48 pm
97 Accord Oxygen sensors Firebird Honda 2 8 05 Aug 2006 09:05 pm
O2 sensors? amsjsj Honda 2 8 04 Feb 2004 05:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.