Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default air filter at 18k miles?

Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
air filters.

Total ripoff or what?

J.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 01:15 pm
Clete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:04:01 -0700, JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid>
wrote:

>Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
>dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
>air filters.
>
>Total ripoff or what?
>
>J.



Yes
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 01:45 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
news:vilho653tuiuvjqeoqtp5kvp0l9olq84tj@4ax.com:

> Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
> dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
> air filters.
>
> Total ripoff or what?
>
> J.
>



What does your Owner's Manual say?

Are those filters included in the B1 service?

Part of the utility of the Owner's Manual is the schedule definitions that
were helpfully included by Honda. Not that anybody actually reads them, of
course...

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 01:57 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

I don't have the manuals here,
but apparently the rule of thumb is 15k to 30k miles,
and they are not standard B1 service.

Nor, apparently, are they included in the optional
Hondacare contract.

But I'm doing nothing but suburban driving, I would expect
them to last on the long end, not the short end, of
such a range. But googling around, apparently it's not
all that shocking to find them "dirty" even at the short
end. So, my guess is the dealer is being a little aggressive
about it, but maybe not outrageously so.

J.


On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:45:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
>news:vilho653tuiuvjqeoqtp5kvp0l9olq84tj@4ax.com :
>
>> Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
>> dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
>> air filters.
>>
>> Total ripoff or what?
>>
>> J.
>>

>
>
>What does your Owner's Manual say?
>
>Are those filters included in the B1 service?
>
>Part of the utility of the Owner's Manual is the schedule definitions that
>were helpfully included by Honda. Not that anybody actually reads them, of
>course...


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 02:37 pm
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?


"JRStern" <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in message
news:vilho653tuiuvjqeoqtp5kvp0l9olq84tj@4ax.com...
> Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
> dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
> air filters.
>
> Total ripoff or what?
>
> J.
>

Have a Toyota but ran into the same kind of push by the Dealer--They wanted
about $140 total for installing air filter and cabin air cleaner.
Aftermarket costs are about $16 ea (On-Line) and maybe about $35 ea at the
Dealer's. Both are relatively easy to install on my car. Check You Tube
for some videos on how to change them on your Model.
MLD

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 03:11 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
news:t2sho6ldmpt5l97ojac5hi4ino1jgrkk54@4ax.com:

> I don't have the manuals here,
> but apparently the rule of thumb is 15k to 30k miles,
> and they are not standard B1 service.




Then refuse the replacement. The dealer is trying pad his margins.


>
> Nor, apparently, are they included in the optional
> Hondacare contract.
>
> But I'm doing nothing but suburban driving, I would expect
> them to last on the long end, not the short end, of
> such a range. But googling around, apparently it's not
> all that shocking to find them "dirty" even at the short
> end.




These engines draw so little air for the surface area of the filter that
the filter would need to be /exceedingly/ filthy to affect air flow.

The old carbureted V8s used to draw so much air that you could tell by the
sound of the intake when the filter was getting clogged. And the filter
could look fairly clean and still be clogged enough to reduce air flow.

Yours are just dandy. Leave them until Honda says to change them.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 03:44 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:11:29 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote in
>news:t2sho6ldmpt5l97ojac5hi4ino1jgrkk54@4ax.com :
>
>> I don't have the manuals here,
>> but apparently the rule of thumb is 15k to 30k miles,
>> and they are not standard B1 service.

>
>
>
>Then refuse the replacement. The dealer is trying pad his margins.
>
>
>>
>> Nor, apparently, are they included in the optional
>> Hondacare contract.
>>
>> But I'm doing nothing but suburban driving, I would expect
>> them to last on the long end, not the short end, of
>> such a range. But googling around, apparently it's not
>> all that shocking to find them "dirty" even at the short
>> end.

>
>
>
>These engines draw so little air for the surface area of the filter that
>the filter would need to be /exceedingly/ filthy to affect air flow.
>
>The old carbureted V8s used to draw so much air that you could tell by the
>sound of the intake when the filter was getting clogged. And the filter
>could look fairly clean and still be clogged enough to reduce air flow.
>
>Yours are just dandy. Leave them until Honda says to change them.


well, they put a couple of dirty ones in a bag and gave them to me.

I suppose if these were really mine, they look dirty enough to offer
to replace. Just how dirty they have to be to matter, I dunno - the
service droid was at pains to tell me it wouldn't hurt the car if I
left them in longer.

Car on lease, for better or worse I'd like to have the dealer do all
service, which should be minimal over three years.

And I might not be back to the dealer for another six months for the
next oil change. All in all ... marginal, but I guess OK.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 04:03 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?


"Tegger" <invalid@example.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9EB096231ADC3tegger@208.90.168.18...
>
> Part of the utility of the Owner's Manual is the schedule definitions that
> were helpfully included by Honda. Not that anybody actually reads them, of
> course...


I forget where I was (probably taking one of my kids to a practice for
something) and one of the moms there asked me what I was reading. I showed
it to her and she asked where I got them. Told her form the glove
compartment and she should check hers.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:41 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

In article <vilho653tuiuvjqeoqtp5kvp0l9olq84tj@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:

> Took my 2010 Accord in for B1 service,
> dealer says I need $120 worth of cabin and engine
> air filters.
>
> Total ripoff or what?
>
> J.


Yeah, that service writer is ripping off management. He didn't even
mention the blinker fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:42 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: air filter at 18k miles?

In article <t2sho6ldmpt5l97ojac5hi4ino1jgrkk54@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:

> I don't have the manuals here,
> but apparently the rule of thumb is 15k to 30k miles,
> and they are not standard B1 service.
>
> Nor, apparently, are they included in the optional
> Hondacare contract.


True, they are wear items.

Who defined that "rule of thumb"?

If they are not standard B1 service items, are they mentioned AT ALL in
the service schedule?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The MM in my 07 Honda Accord V6 with 16K miles has not called for an air filter replacement... Ben K Honda Technical 2 24 Nov 2008 10:16 pm
If I take out the stock COTTON air filter and put a RUBBER K&N air filter will it make the... PlayinDaGame Honda Technical 4 30 Oct 2007 11:30 am
I need the locations of the cabin air filter and engine air filter on a 2007 honda accord V-6? Dick Honda Technical 1 23 Oct 2007 03:30 pm
Cabin Air Filter and Engine Air Cleaner Filter for 2007 Honda Civic? Lois Honda Technical 1 30 Sep 2007 11:16 am
Honda Odyssey A/C Filter (Dust and Pollen Filter) Replacement Hand Honda 2 3 09 Dec 2004 11:40 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.