Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2011, 12:44 pm
Red Butler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled
maintenance done on time.

Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine light
came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas cap and
something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all seemed normal.

I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's
stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.

Should I get the car checked?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

Red Butler <red@butler.biz> wrote in news:iiun9s$v6o$1@news.albasani.net:

> 07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled
> maintenance done on time.
>
> Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine light
> came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas cap and
> something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all seemed normal.
>
> I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's
> stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.
>
> Should I get the car checked?
>




You need to have the computer scanned for error codes (DTCs). There are
some 100 codes that can cause the MIL to illuminate.

Many auto parts places (except in CA) will loan you an OBD-II reader for
free so you can check for DTCs yourself. A garage will usually charge you
up to $80 to do it for you.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:52 am
Red Butler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

On 2/9/11 1:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Red Butler<red@butler.biz> wrote in news:iiun9s$v6o$1@news.albasani.net:
>
>> 07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled
>> maintenance done on time.
>>
>> Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine light
>> came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas cap and
>> something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all seemed normal.
>>
>> I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's
>> stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.
>>
>> Should I get the car checked?
>>

>
>
>
> You need to have the computer scanned for error codes (DTCs). There are
> some 100 codes that can cause the MIL to illuminate.
>
> Many auto parts places (except in CA) will loan you an OBD-II reader for
> free so you can check for DTCs yourself. A garage will usually charge you
> up to $80 to do it for you.
>


Thanks, I'll get it checked and report back.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2011, 08:44 am
Red Butler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

On 2/11/11 9:52 AM, Red Butler wrote:
> On 2/9/11 1:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> Red Butler<red@butler.biz> wrote in news:iiun9s$v6o$1@news.albasani.net:
>>
>>> 07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled
>>> maintenance done on time.
>>>
>>> Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine light
>>> came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas cap and
>>> something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all seemed normal.
>>>
>>> I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's
>>> stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.
>>>
>>> Should I get the car checked?
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> You need to have the computer scanned for error codes (DTCs). There are
>> some 100 codes that can cause the MIL to illuminate.
>>
>> Many auto parts places (except in CA) will loan you an OBD-II reader for
>> free so you can check for DTCs yourself. A garage will usually charge you
>> up to $80 to do it for you.
>>

>
> Thanks, I'll get it checked and report back.


Went by a nearby dealer who offered to scan it for $60-- commenting that
since the light is off, there's nothing wrong with it now. He said it
was most likely just reacting to some minor transitory event. I thanked
him and left.

I called my regular dealer (clear on the other side of town) and they
said about the same thing. The guy I spoke with said there's probably a
code in there but not to worry. He said he read/clear it for me at no
charge at my next regular service-- that will be in about 3 months given
the small amount I drive.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2011, 10:40 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light-- On, then Off

Red Butler <red@butler.biz> wrote in
news:ijm0jq$bt5$1@news.albasani.net:

> On 2/11/11 9:52 AM, Red Butler wrote:
>> On 2/9/11 1:48 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>> Red Butler<red@butler.biz> wrote in
>>> news:iiun9s$v6o$1@news.albasani.net:
>>>
>>>> 07 Accord EXL V6 automatic 30K miles, original owner, all scheduled
>>>> maintenance done on time.
>>>>
>>>> Yesterday after driving about 20 suburban miles, the check engine
>>>> light came on and stayed on. I pulled over, checked for loose gas
>>>> cap and something disconnected or dangling under the hood but all
>>>> seemed normal.
>>>>
>>>> I restarted the engine and the light went off after self-test. It's
>>>> stayed off since then with about 30 additional suburban miles.
>>>>
>>>> Should I get the car checked?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You need to have the computer scanned for error codes (DTCs). There
>>> are some 100 codes that can cause the MIL to illuminate.
>>>
>>> Many auto parts places (except in CA) will loan you an OBD-II reader
>>> for free so you can check for DTCs yourself. A garage will usually
>>> charge you up to $80 to do it for you.
>>>

>>
>> Thanks, I'll get it checked and report back.

>
> Went by a nearby dealer who offered to scan it for $60-- commenting
> that since the light is off, there's nothing wrong with it now. He
> said it was most likely just reacting to some minor transitory event.
> I thanked him and left.
>
> I called my regular dealer (clear on the other side of town) and they
> said about the same thing. The guy I spoke with said there's probably
> a code in there but not to worry. He said he read/clear it for me at
> no charge at my next regular service-- that will be in about 3 months
> given the small amount I drive.
>


for $60,you can BUY your own code reader.(I did.)
go to an Autozone,Advance Auto Parts,or Pep Boys,and they'll read it for
free.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 Honda Accord EX check engine light on and brake lamp light on? Mac L Honda Technical 1 12 Oct 2009 09:16 pm
97 honda accord that has a engine maintenence light on, not the check engine light...any idea lisa and donnie w Honda Technical 4 05 Feb 2009 08:40 pm
Check engine light on can I check for codes? suitedandbooted Honda Technical 0 24 Oct 2008 12:13 pm
1991 honda civic-Check engine light is on-how do i check it? Jonny Mick Honda Technical 3 01 Oct 2007 05:30 pm
97' Honda Passport w/ check trans and check engine light on Nutt Honda 2 2 13 May 2004 07:53 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.