Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05 Nov 2005, 12:23 am
karl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Battery light stays on


I would like to get help with this problem: after working on the
starter the

Battery warning light stays on all the time.
After starting the voltage moves to 14.2 V (at battery).

The Service Manual, p 25-28, suggests that the alternator is defective
and says that it should be checked. But I consider the probability very
low that the alternator fails at the same time work is done on the
starter - I believe it is more likely that I inadvertently caused some
damage (maybe just a disconnection) to the wiring.

1984 Accord, 4 Door

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05 Nov 2005, 01:08 am
Charlie S
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery light stays on


The voltage at a fully charged battery is about 12.6 volts.

With the engine running, and the alternator working, the voltage will
be about 14.2 volts. If you have 14.2 volts, the alternator and
voltage regulator are working properly.

Check the wiring.

On 4 Nov 2005 22:23:53 -0800, "karl" <ottokarl@cognisurf.com> wrote:

>
>I would like to get help with this problem: after working on the
>starter the
>
> Battery warning light stays on all the time.
> After starting the voltage moves to 14.2 V (at battery).
>
>The Service Manual, p 25-28, suggests that the alternator is defective
>and says that it should be checked. But I consider the probability very
>low that the alternator fails at the same time work is done on the
>starter - I believe it is more likely that I inadvertently caused some
>damage (maybe just a disconnection) to the wiring.
>
>1984 Accord, 4 Door


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05 Nov 2005, 05:20 am
karl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery light stays on

Thank you; I agree with your diagnosis.

The question now is, which one of the wires (or connectors)
in the general area of the starter, if damaged, causes the battery
light to stay on.



Charlie S wrote:
> The voltage at a fully charged battery is about 12.6 volts.
>
> With the engine running, and the alternator working, the voltage will
> be about 14.2 volts. If you have 14.2 volts, the alternator and
> voltage regulator are working properly.
>
> Check the wiring.
>
> On 4 Nov 2005 22:23:53 -0800, "karl" <ottokarl@cognisurf.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >I would like to get help with this problem: after working on the
> >starter the
> >
> > Battery warning light stays on all the time.
> > After starting the voltage moves to 14.2 V (at battery).
> >
> >The Service Manual, p 25-28, suggests that the alternator is defective
> >and says that it should be checked. But I consider the probability very
> >low that the alternator fails at the same time work is done on the
> >starter - I believe it is more likely that I inadvertently caused some
> >damage (maybe just a disconnection) to the wiring.
> >
> >1984 Accord, 4 Door


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2005, 01:44 am
Burt S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery light stays on

"karl" <ottokarl@cognisurf.com> wrote in message news:1131189627.526080.285710@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

> Thank you; I agree with your diagnosis.
> The question now is, which one of the wires (or connectors)
> in the general area of the starter, if damaged, causes the battery
> light to stay on.


If you try this the light should go out:

1) Disconnect the connector at the back of the alternator.

2) Disconnect the choke heater connector or the EFE heater control
unit if it has one.

A broken connection between the charger and battery might light up
the light but that doesn't seem to be the problem.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2005, 05:04 am
karl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Battery light stays on

> From: "alt.autos.honda group" <noreply@googlegroups.com>
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:34:00 +0000
>
> ================================================== ===========================
> TOPIC: Battery light stays on
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...e334eaae74d523
> ================================================== ===========================
>
> == 1 of 2 ==
> Date: Fri 4 Nov 2005 22:23
> From: "karl"
>
> I would like to get help with this problem: after working on
> the starter the
>
> Battery warning light stays on all the time.
> After starting the voltage moves to 14.2 V (at battery).
>
> The Service Manual, p 25-28, suggests that the alternator is
> defective and says that it should be checked. But I consider
> the probability very low that the alternator fails at the
> same time work is done on the starter - I believe it is
> more likely that I inadvertently caused some damage (maybe
> just a disconnection) to the wiring.
>
> 1984 Accord, 4 Door




================================================== ============================
> == 1 of 1 ==
> Date: Sun 6 Nov 2005 07:44
> From: "Burt S."
>
> "karl" <ottokarl@cognisurf.com> wrote in message
> news:1131189627.526080.285710@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>
> > Thank you; I agree with your diagnosis.
> > The question now is, which one of the wires (or connectors)
> > in the general area of the starter, if damaged, causes the
> > battery light to stay on.

>
> If you try this the light should go out:
>
> 1) Disconnect the connector at the back of the alternator.
>
> 2) Disconnect the choke heater connector or the EFE heater
> control
> unit if it has one.




Thank you, but this test assumes the wiring to be correct; read on.

This problem was the result of really lousy work. When I reconnected
the disconnected wires I had forgotten how they had been connected and
I connected them by their length and ease of reconnecting them. My
first choice of wires to the air temp switch would have been correct
but they were a little short. I ended up connecting the wires of the
choke heater to the air temp switch, cutting both out of the circuitry,
and grounding "L" of the voltage regulator. I didn't notice that the
color codings didn't match, but I thought it is odd and I was
suspicious that two pairs of wires originating at the same place (near
the starter) of a harness are connected - this didn't make sense! And
again later when I looked for the cause of the ON battery light I was
suspicious about these two pairs of wires but did not act. I had a very
strange block.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery warning light stays on all the time. karl Honda 3 0 05 Nov 2005 12:59 am
95 Integra ABS Light stays on mrkrl@aol.com Honda 3 3 23 Feb 2005 10:46 am
ABS light stays lit on 92 Accord EX DaveT Honda 2 1 09 Sep 2004 02:49 pm
srs light stays on acurarl Acura 2 16 Dec 2003 12:39 pm
Re: TCS indicator light stays on on my '99 TL Paul Acura 2 07 Jul 2003 11:25 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.