Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2005, 11:47 pm
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default '83 lude flooding

It's been oos for maybe a couple months, but was running decent last time...
Long story short, I managed to jump it wrong, blew 65A main fuselink, replaced -
no start.
Seems flooded, plugs look awful (black and wet), replace.
Spark seems OK, plug wires all <7K, dist cap/rotor look decent.
Time passes trying to start (I have running truck jumped to it for power).
Finally pull air filter and gas just poured out.
I now see that whenever I crank it, gas comes (drips, semi-fast) from the "Air
Suction Port" (IIRC - it's a California emissions car) on the back plate over
the carbs, more or less to lower center. I have the service manual, but don't
see what this is connecting to.
Any ideas on where to start? I really just want to get it running, for now, as
have to move soon, and not a whole lot of time to mess with it.
BTW, it passed emissions with flying colors about 6 mos ago.

TIA.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Nov 2005, 11:46 pm
JP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding

I had a similar experience with my 86 accord, raw gasoline even running out
the tailpipe. The only way to get that much fuel (unless the fuel line is
spraying) is for the carburetor bowl to be overflowing due to stuck float
or, as in my case, a leaking seal on the float valve. A couple of o-rings
fixed my problem. Don't know how similar an 83 prelude would be, but check
the float.



JP


"Doug McCrary" <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:PpY9f.7738$N73.1909@trnddc04...
> It's been oos for maybe a couple months, but was running decent last
> time...
> Long story short, I managed to jump it wrong, blew 65A main fuselink,
> replaced -
> no start.
> Seems flooded, plugs look awful (black and wet), replace.
> Spark seems OK, plug wires all <7K, dist cap/rotor look decent.
> Time passes trying to start (I have running truck jumped to it for power).
> Finally pull air filter and gas just poured out.
> I now see that whenever I crank it, gas comes (drips, semi-fast) from the
> "Air
> Suction Port" (IIRC - it's a California emissions car) on the back plate
> over
> the carbs, more or less to lower center. I have the service manual, but
> don't
> see what this is connecting to.
> Any ideas on where to start? I really just want to get it running, for
> now, as
> have to move soon, and not a whole lot of time to mess with it.
> BTW, it passed emissions with flying colors about 6 mos ago.
>
> TIA.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2005, 03:04 pm
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding


JP <xjj_potterx@xhotmail.com> wrote ...
> I had a similar experience with my 86 accord, raw gasoline even running out
> the tailpipe. The only way to get that much fuel (unless the fuel line is
> spraying) is for the carburetor bowl to be overflowing due to stuck float
> or, as in my case, a leaking seal on the float valve. A couple of o-rings
> fixed my problem. Don't know how similar an 83 prelude would be, but check
> the float.
>
>
>
> JP
>

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four floats.
I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I have to tear the
whole thing apart...


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2005, 08:51 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding

"Doug McCrary" <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:CXuaf.2544$l23.1153@trnddc05...
>
> JP <xjj_potterx@xhotmail.com> wrote ...
>> I had a similar experience with my 86 accord, raw gasoline even running
>> out
>> the tailpipe. The only way to get that much fuel (unless the fuel line
>> is
>> spraying) is for the carburetor bowl to be overflowing due to stuck float
>> or, as in my case, a leaking seal on the float valve. A couple of
>> o-rings
>> fixed my problem. Don't know how similar an 83 prelude would be, but
>> check
>> the float.
>>
>>
>>
>> JP
>>

> Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> floats.
> I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I have to
> tear the
> whole thing apart...
>
>

Easy to try, although I've had success only the first of the three times I
tried it:

Disable the fuel supply (like by blocking the fuel supply hose) and get the
engine to start and burn off what is in the float bowl. The float will drop
and when the gas is reconnected it will flush out any grit that may be stuck
in the float valve. Some old tricks are still alive :-)

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2005, 10:50 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding

Doug McCrary wrote:
>
> Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> floats. I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I
> have to tear the whole thing apart...


I seem to recall that the '83 Lude had three carburetors, two main ones and
a small one in the middle for the CVCC valves. I believe that this setup
was rather problematic and was eliminated on '84 and up carbureted Ludes.

A factory service manual from http://www.helminc.com sounds like it might be
a good investment.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Nov 2005, 11:54 pm
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding


Eric <say.no@spam.now> wrote in message news:436AE882.81D9CAF2@spam.now...
> Doug McCrary wrote:
> >
> > Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> > floats. I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I
> > have to tear the whole thing apart...

>
> I seem to recall that the '83 Lude had three carburetors, two main ones and
> a small one in the middle for the CVCC valves. I believe that this setup
> was rather problematic and was eliminated on '84 and up carbureted Ludes.
>
> A factory service manual from http://www.helminc.com sounds like it might be
> a good investment.
>
> Eric


Thanks Eric. I'll check my manual for that 3rd carb, which sounds like could be
the source of the fuel coming out of the "air suction port". Might also explain
the rather poor performance of the car under (attempted) accelleration. I'd
thought it was just naturally gutless, but looking at it now, I can see it
"should" go pretty good, like my old Z.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04 Nov 2005, 11:58 pm
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding


----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Pardee <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com>
Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: '83 lude flooding


> "Doug McCrary" <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> news:CXuaf.2544$l23.1153@trnddc05...
> >
> > JP <xjj_potterx@xhotmail.com> wrote ...
> >> I had a similar experience with my 86 accord, raw gasoline even running
> >> out
> >> the tailpipe. The only way to get that much fuel (unless the fuel line
> >> is
> >> spraying) is for the carburetor bowl to be overflowing due to stuck

float
> >> or, as in my case, a leaking seal on the float valve. A couple of
> >> o-rings
> >> fixed my problem. Don't know how similar an 83 prelude would be, but
> >> check
> >> the float.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> JP
> >>

> > Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> > floats.
> > I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I have to
> > tear the
> > whole thing apart...
> >
> >

> Easy to try, although I've had success only the first of the three times I
> tried it:
>
> Disable the fuel supply (like by blocking the fuel supply hose) and get

the
> engine to start and burn off what is in the float bowl. The float will

drop
> and when the gas is reconnected it will flush out any grit that may be

stuck
> in the float valve. Some old tricks are still alive :-)
>
> Mike
>
>

Good idea! I'll try that tomorrow.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2005, 12:37 am
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding


Doug McCrary <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:IRXaf.575$Bx.543@trnddc01...
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Michael Pardee <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda
> Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:51 PM
> Subject: Re: '83 lude flooding
>
>
> > "Doug McCrary" <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > news:CXuaf.2544$l23.1153@trnddc05...
> > >
> > > JP <xjj_potterx@xhotmail.com> wrote ...
> > >> I had a similar experience with my 86 accord, raw gasoline even running
> > >> out
> > >> the tailpipe. The only way to get that much fuel (unless the fuel line
> > >> is
> > >> spraying) is for the carburetor bowl to be overflowing due to stuck

> float
> > >> or, as in my case, a leaking seal on the float valve. A couple of
> > >> o-rings
> > >> fixed my problem. Don't know how similar an 83 prelude would be, but
> > >> check
> > >> the float.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> JP
> > >>
> > > Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> > > floats.
> > > I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I have to
> > > tear the
> > > whole thing apart...
> > >
> > >

> > Easy to try, although I've had success only the first of the three times I
> > tried it:
> >
> > Disable the fuel supply (like by blocking the fuel supply hose) and get

> the
> > engine to start and burn off what is in the float bowl. The float will

> drop
> > and when the gas is reconnected it will flush out any grit that may be

> stuck
> > in the float valve. Some old tricks are still alive :-)
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >

> Good idea! I'll try that tomorrow.
>
>

Well, at least that proved the car is basically OK, and the carb is flooding.
Disconnected the fuel line before the filter, plugged it with a screwdriver, and
got the car to start. Ran fine for about two minutes.
Reconnected the line, and it flooded again. But I can see gas coming from what I
think is the accelerator port, and another place on the air filter base that
seems to be connected to the right carb by a hose.
I actually did this maybe three times, hoping for a different result, but it
seems the same each time, almost like a float is full of gas (sunk). It runs
maybe a minute after the gas line is reconnected.

Do you or anyone know where there are better drawings/pictures of this thing? I
think I've checked the whole manual on fuel and emissions, but still don't see
the carb hose or whatever it is.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2005, 12:44 am
Doug McCrary
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding


Doug McCrary <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:OOXaf.548$Bx.14@trnddc01...
>
> Eric <say.no@spam.now> wrote in message news:436AE882.81D9CAF2@spam.now...
> > Doug McCrary wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. It's dual carb, and apparently four
> > > floats. I was hoping maybe one of them was known for problems before I
> > > have to tear the whole thing apart...

> >
> > I seem to recall that the '83 Lude had three carburetors, two main ones and
> > a small one in the middle for the CVCC valves. I believe that this setup
> > was rather problematic and was eliminated on '84 and up carbureted Ludes.
> >
> > A factory service manual from http://www.helminc.com sounds like it might be
> > a good investment.
> >
> > Eric

>
> Thanks Eric. I'll check my manual for that 3rd carb, which sounds like could

be
> the source of the fuel coming out of the "air suction port". Might also

explain
> the rather poor performance of the car under (attempted) accelleration. I'd
> thought it was just naturally gutless, but looking at it now, I can see it
> "should" go pretty good, like my old Z.
>
>

Yes, I think that's close. When I tried Mike's idea, there was gas coming from
what I think you're talking about (not the air suction port I mentioned before,
but what looks like some sort of air intake for a carb). And yes, it looks to me
it may have been on 83-84's, perhaps killed mid-model year of 84.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06 Nov 2005, 11:31 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '83 lude flooding

"Doug McCrary" <DougMcCrary@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:Uwhbf.5063$dU6.3127@trnddc03...
> Well, at least that proved the car is basically OK, and the carb is
> flooding.
> Disconnected the fuel line before the filter, plugged it with a
> screwdriver, and
> got the car to start. Ran fine for about two minutes.
> Reconnected the line, and it flooded again. But I can see gas coming from
> what I
> think is the accelerator port, and another place on the air filter base
> that
> seems to be connected to the right carb by a hose.
> I actually did this maybe three times, hoping for a different result, but
> it
> seems the same each time, almost like a float is full of gas (sunk). It
> runs
> maybe a minute after the gas line is reconnected.
>
> Do you or anyone know where there are better drawings/pictures of this
> thing? I
> think I've checked the whole manual on fuel and emissions, but still don't
> see
> the carb hose or whatever it is.
>
>

Yep - my guess is that your float is full of gas. It's not very unusual.

Mike


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 GSR Flooding bill1618 Acura 18 02 Apr 2007 06:17 pm
Water flooding in Spare Tire compartment? Sparpa Honda 1 1 30 Oct 2005 10:18 am
Should I fix my Lude? disallow Honda 3 20 11 Apr 2005 06:54 pm
97 lude mocha Honda 3 1 27 Nov 2003 12:27 pm
flooding out steve Honda 3 1 24 Sep 2003 11:35 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.