Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Feb 2011, 08:05 am
mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

read over the weekend the excellent detail at
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html

question related to just lubricating the pin(s) on a honda cr-v (model year 2009 and
newer..)

is it possible to restrict maintenance to just inspecting and lubricating the pins, to
ensure free movement, when no need to do anything about the brake pads or other parts,
IOW, just to ensure the pins are moving freely ?

how often should that be done ? simply a matter of identifying pin location and
spraying some CRC or similar ?




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Feb 2011, 12:24 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

"mike" <hondo@maintenance.co.net> wrote in
news:iiou6u$44t$1@news.eternal-september.org:

> read over the weekend the excellent detail at
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html
>
> question related to just lubricating the pin(s) on a honda cr-v (model
> year 2009 and newer..)
>
> is it possible to restrict maintenance to just inspecting and
> lubricating the pins, to ensure free movement, when no need to do
> anything about the brake pads or other parts, IOW, just to ensure the
> pins are moving freely ?
>
> how often should that be done ? simply a matter of identifying pin
> location and spraying some CRC or similar ?
>

to lube the pins,you use a high temperature silicone grease.
you can buy small packets of it at auto parts stores.
DO NOT spray lube the pins.it will burn up and your pins will seize up.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Feb 2011, 07:21 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

"mike" <hondo@maintenance.co.net> wrote in
news:iiou6u$44t$1@news.eternal-september.org:

> read over the weekend the excellent detail at
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html




You should read the OTHER five pages. They're badly in need of updating,
but are still useful to those who have some mechanical savvy.



>
> question related to just lubricating the pin(s) on a honda cr-v (model
> year 2009 and newer..)
>
> is it possible to restrict maintenance to just inspecting and
> lubricating the pins, to ensure free movement, when no need to do
> anything about the brake pads or other parts, IOW, just to ensure the
> pins are moving freely ?




Brake service is a all-or-nothing thing: Do it all, or it's not done right.

Checking the pins means pulling the caliper, which involves 95% of the work
needed to service the brakes.



>
> how often should that be done ?




Once a year. At minimum. Until you have some history with the brakes.



> simply a matter of identifying pin
> location and spraying some CRC or similar ?
>




Read ALL the brake pages on my site, not just the first one.

Do NOT use ANYTHING other than Sil-Glyde on the pins and boots! Sil-Glyde
is sold by most auto part places, usually in the same place as the anti-
seize greases.

If you decide to actually perform this service, post here again and I'll
give a few more tips I haven't put on the site yet.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Feb 2011, 09:38 am
mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

Tegger wrote:
> If you decide to actually perform this service, post here again and I'll
> give a few more tips I haven't put on the site yet.


am all ears and ready to do job this weekend. post away, please.
thank you!



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2011, 09:27 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

"mike" <hondo@maintenance.co.net> wrote in news:iiro2b$llk$1@news.eternal-
september.org:

> Tegger wrote:
>> If you decide to actually perform this service, post here again and I'll
>> give a few more tips I haven't put on the site yet.

>
> am all ears and ready to do job this weekend. post away, please.
> thank you!
>
>
>



The pins on your CRV are very unlikely to be seized or in need of any
maintenance at all. For you, maintenance is unlikely to extend much further
than wiping off the dust and sanding/lubing the shims the pads ride on.
Have you seen a "B" service indicated on your Maintenance Minder?

Where do you live? That's /extremely/ important.

To get at the pads and pins:
Remove the caliper entirely by removing both bolts. Pull the caliper off
the pads and hang it from the suspension spring using a bent-up piece of
coat-hanger wire. Do not just remove the bottom bolt and swivel the caliper
up; that action masks seizing pins.

To see whether a pin is sticking or not:
1) Use your fingers to grab the pin by its head, and see if it's possible
to rotate it and move it in-and-out. It may take a bit of wiggling to get
it to move, but if it eventually does, and smoothly, then it's not seized.
2) Pull the pin out until the rubber boot's corrugations are flat. The boot
should NOT pop off the pin. You're not going to stretch the boot, just pull
it enough to flatten the corrugations.
Do this to all 4 pins. If the pins and boots pass both the tests above,
then they are fine; leave them alone.

As for the pads:
Try to tip the pad out of its mounting bracket. If the pad swivels easily,
then it is not seized. If you need to tug, or use a tool to make it move,
then it's stuck.

To sand/lube the shim surfaces:
Refer to my Web pages.
The primary update I have not yet added concerns lubrication of the shim
surfaces on the pad-mount bracket. The Web page shows the use of copper-
based anti-seize in that location, which is OK if you live in an area with
little snow. If you live in an area with lost of snow, Honda Canada Inc.
(HCI) has a completely different regimen, one I discovered only a few
months ago.

This fall, I followed HCI's procedures as outlined in "Service Letter"
VI-1-09. "Service Letters" are HCI's equivalent of American Honda's TSB's.
Luckily, we're having a very severe, snowy winter this year, so we're going
to get a pretty good test of HCI's instructions.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2011, 03:53 pm
M.A. Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

Tegger (invalid@example.com) writes:
> "mike" <hondo@maintenance.co.net> wrote in news:iiro2b$llk$1@news.eternal-
> september.org:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> If you decide to actually perform this service, post here again and I'll
>>> give a few more tips I haven't put on the site yet.

>>
>> am all ears and ready to do job this weekend. post away, please.
>> thank you!
>>
>>
>>

>


>
> The pins on your CRV are very unlikely to be seized or in need of any
> maintenance at all. For you, maintenance is unlikely to extend much further
> than wiping off the dust and sanding/lubing the shims the pads ride on.
> Have you seen a "B" service indicated on your Maintenance Minder?
>
> Where do you live? That's /extremely/ important.
>
> To get at the pads and pins:
> Remove the caliper entirely by removing both bolts. Pull the caliper off
> the pads and hang it from the suspension spring using a bent-up piece of
> coat-hanger wire. Do not just remove the bottom bolt and swivel the caliper
> up; that action masks seizing pins.
>
> To see whether a pin is sticking or not:
> 1) Use your fingers to grab the pin by its head, and see if it's possible
> to rotate it and move it in-and-out. It may take a bit of wiggling to get
> it to move, but if it eventually does, and smoothly, then it's not seized.
> 2) Pull the pin out until the rubber boot's corrugations are flat. The boot
> should NOT pop off the pin. You're not going to stretch the boot, just pull
> it enough to flatten the corrugations.
> Do this to all 4 pins. If the pins and boots pass both the tests above,
> then they are fine; leave them alone.
>
> As for the pads:
> Try to tip the pad out of its mounting bracket. If the pad swivels easily,
> then it is not seized. If you need to tug, or use a tool to make it move,
> then it's stuck.
>
> To sand/lube the shim surfaces:
> Refer to my Web pages.
> The primary update I have not yet added concerns lubrication of the shim
> surfaces on the pad-mount bracket. The Web page shows the use of copper-
> based anti-seize in that location, which is OK if you live in an area with
> little snow. If you live in an area with lost of snow, Honda Canada Inc.
> (HCI) has a completely different regimen, one I discovered only a few
> months ago.


>
> This fall, I followed HCI's procedures as outlined in "Service Letter"
> VI-1-09. "Service Letters" are HCI's equivalent of American Honda's TSB's.
> Luckily, we're having a very severe, snowy winter this year, so we're going
> to get a pretty good test of HCI's instructions.
>
> --
> Tegger



What's the HCI procedure?



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2011, 04:11 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in
news:iiv2c8$mt4$1@theodyn.ncf.ca:

> Tegger (invalid@example.com) writes:


>
>>
>> This fall, I followed HCI's procedures as outlined in "Service
>> Letter" VI-1-09. "Service Letters" are HCI's equivalent of American
>> Honda's TSB's. Luckily, we're having a very severe, snowy winter this
>> year, so we're going to get a pretty good test of HCI's instructions.
>>
>>
>>

>
>
> What's the HCI procedure?
>
>



Clean the parts free of rust as usual, then...

Lightly coat the entire of both sides of all the anti-squeal shims, plus
the back of the pad with Molykote M77--and ONLY M77, not anti-seize or any
other substance.

Then you use the M77 to coat the surfaces on the mount bracket which the
pads ride on, plus the shims that go between the pads and the mount
bracket.

Care must be taken to ensure that M77 does not get on any of the friction
surfaces.

The "before" pics in the "Service Letter" look exactly what I see every
spring (see my site). The "after" pics look pretty nice.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2011, 06:09 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:iiv2c8$mt4$1
@theodyn.ncf.ca:

> From: cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart)



That's not your real email address...


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2011, 02:53 pm
M.A. Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

Tegger (invalid@example.com) writes:
> cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in
> news:iiv2c8$mt4$1@theodyn.ncf.ca:
>
>> Tegger (invalid@example.com) writes:

>
>>
>>>
>>> This fall, I followed HCI's procedures as outlined in "Service
>>> Letter" VI-1-09. "Service Letters" are HCI's equivalent of American
>>> Honda's TSB's. Luckily, we're having a very severe, snowy winter this
>>> year, so we're going to get a pretty good test of HCI's instructions.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> What's the HCI procedure?
>>
>>

>
>
> Clean the parts free of rust as usual, then...
>
> Lightly coat the entire of both sides of all the anti-squeal shims, plus
> the back of the pad with Molykote M77--and ONLY M77, not anti-seize or any
> other substance.
>
> Then you use the M77 to coat the surfaces on the mount bracket which the
> pads ride on, plus the shims that go between the pads and the mount
> bracket.
>
> Care must be taken to ensure that M77 does not get on any of the friction
> surfaces.
>
> The "before" pics in the "Service Letter" look exactly what I see every
> spring (see my site). The "after" pics look pretty nice.
>
> --
> Tegger




Hasn't that procedure been around for a long time? I remember Honda OEM
pads (or was it new Honda OEM shims) came with a little packet of the
M77 grease? I assume it was M77.






Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2011, 02:56 pm
M.A. Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: pinging tegger, honda brake pin maintenance

Tegger (invalid@example.com) writes:
> cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote in news:iiv2c8$mt4$1
> @theodyn.ncf.ca:
>
>> From: cf005@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart)

>
>
> That's not your real email address...



It has a heavy-duty spam filter.


>
>
> --
> Tegger



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Brake And Car Maintenance Near Torrance CA skylight Honda Videos 0 26 Jan 2010 10:10 pm
2008 Civic Brake Maintenance Bill Mac Honda Technical 0 15 Sep 2009 03:18 pm
Q for Tegger re: parking brake on '02 Accord a Honda 2 3 28 Aug 2009 07:04 pm
Brake question for TeGGeR Sparky Spartacus Honda 3 4 21 Jun 2005 10:34 pm
Brake Question for TeGGeR Sparky Spartacus Honda 3 0 18 Jun 2005 04:13 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.