Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:12 pm
Van
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fuel pump relay

I finally tracked down my intermittent no start condition on my 92 prelude
Si. If it is a hot day (90+), the car needs to sit until cool or it won't
start. For some reason it wouldn't start today when I tried to start it
this afternoon after it sat all day in the afternoon sun. I put my fuel
pressure gauge on it and it read zero. I tried tapping on the relay I
thought controlled the fuel pump but it didn't help. I decided to take the
car apart tomorrow and let the car sit and cool off this evening. Sure
enough, the car started fine tonight. Would temperature effect the relay
like this or the pump? Or the ground taps? Pressure, when I have it, is
right on the manual's specifications.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2005, 11:13 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

Van wrote:
> I finally tracked down my intermittent no start condition on my 92 prelude
> Si. If it is a hot day (90+), the car needs to sit until cool or it won't
> start. For some reason it wouldn't start today when I tried to start it
> this afternoon after it sat all day in the afternoon sun. I put my fuel
> pressure gauge on it and it read zero. I tried tapping on the relay I
> thought controlled the fuel pump but it didn't help. I decided to take the
> car apart tomorrow and let the car sit and cool off this evening. Sure
> enough, the car started fine tonight. Would temperature effect the relay
> like this or the pump? Or the ground taps? Pressure, when I have it, is
> right on the manual's specifications.
>
>

tegger.com. main relay.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 Sep 2005, 07:40 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
news:S_LXe.1529$q1.1026@newsread3.news.atl.earthli nk.net...
>I finally tracked down my intermittent no start condition on my 92 prelude
> Si. If it is a hot day (90+), the car needs to sit until cool or it won't
> start. For some reason it wouldn't start today when I tried to start it
> this afternoon after it sat all day in the afternoon sun. I put my fuel
> pressure gauge on it and it read zero. I tried tapping on the relay I
> thought controlled the fuel pump but it didn't help. I decided to take
> the
> car apart tomorrow and let the car sit and cool off this evening. Sure
> enough, the car started fine tonight. Would temperature effect the relay
> like this or the pump? Or the ground taps? Pressure, when I have it, is
> right on the manual's specifications.
>
>

As jim beam says, classic main relay symptoms (including the trouble when
hot). The cracked solder connections inside the relay assembly just seem
more troublesome when hot.

Look at the pictures TeGGeR has and verify you are looking at the right
relay. Dunno for sure about the Prelude, but if it was easy to find I bet it
is the wrong one.
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2005, 01:12 pm
Van
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

Thanks guys. Those sites make sense. I am ordering a main relay now.
Actually, I plan on doing the pump and cleaning grounds, later on, as
preventive maintenance for a 192k mile car.

"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:Pc2dnTx9qO_bnq3eRVn-1g@sedona.net...

> As jim beam says, classic main relay symptoms (including the trouble when
> hot). The cracked solder connections inside the relay assembly just seem
> more troublesome when hot.
>
> Look at the pictures TeGGeR has and verify you are looking at the right
> relay. Dunno for sure about the Prelude, but if it was easy to find I bet

it
> is the wrong one.
> http://tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
> http://tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
>
> Mike
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2005, 02:19 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

Van wrote:
>
> Thanks guys. Those sites make sense. I am ordering a main relay now.
> Actually, I plan on doing the pump and cleaning grounds, later on, as
> preventive maintenance for a 192k mile car.
>

========================

Forget the pump, unless your goal is to put 500,000 miles on the car.
(even then, why not wait?) Use google (groups) to see how many Honda
owners have no-start-on-hot-day problems. It's NEVER the fuel pump.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2005, 06:03 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in
news:fohYe.1722$vw6.366@newsread1.news.atl.earthli nk.net:

> Thanks guys. Those sites make sense. I am ordering a main relay now.


You could save yourself considerable money by resoldering it yourself.
If you already have a soldering iron and electrical solder(not plumbing
solder).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:04 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

Jim Yanik <jyanik@abuse.gov.> wrote in
news:Xns96D8C15C45204jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86:

> "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in
> news:fohYe.1722$vw6.366@newsread1.news.atl.earthli nk.net:
>
>> Thanks guys. Those sites make sense. I am ordering a main relay now.

>
> You could save yourself considerable money by resoldering it yourself.
> If you already have a soldering iron and electrical solder(not plumbing
> solder).
>



http://www.marklamond.co.uk/howto/el...main-relay.htm

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2005, 10:54 pm
Van
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay

Repairing the relay worked great. It was faster than installing a new one
since the relay could not be removed without removing the guages. I just
pryed the tabs apart and removed the circuit instead of the whole thing.
Sure enough, the solder joints for the coils on the relays were cracked.
Not just the fuel pump relay but also the EPU relay. Funny thing is that I
repaired relay boards for interphone systems in my old job. The relays
themselves were what failed most often so I have lots of experience
unsoldering and resoldering in new relays. This was a lot easier.

"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns96D8D67B322AEtegger@207.14.113.17...
> Jim Yanik <jyanik@abuse.gov.> wrote in
> news:Xns96D8C15C45204jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86:
>
> > "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in
> > news:fohYe.1722$vw6.366@newsread1.news.atl.earthli nk.net:
> >
> >> Thanks guys. Those sites make sense. I am ordering a main relay now.

> >
> > You could save yourself considerable money by resoldering it yourself.
> > If you already have a soldering iron and electrical solder(not plumbing
> > solder).
> >

>
>
> http://www.marklamond.co.uk/howto/el...main-relay.htm
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:33 pm
efic@yahoo_delete.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fuel pump relay


This is a very common problem. My son's car had the problem. It is
caused by a bad solder joint on the relay. It can be fixed with a
solder gun, once you get the darn thing out! Or, since you went to
all that work, replace it.


On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:12:34 GMT, "Van" <not@this.time> wrote:

>I finally tracked down my intermittent no start condition on my 92 prelude
>Si. If it is a hot day (90+), the car needs to sit until cool or it won't
>start. For some reason it wouldn't start today when I tried to start it
>this afternoon after it sat all day in the afternoon sun. I put my fuel
>pressure gauge on it and it read zero. I tried tapping on the relay I
>thought controlled the fuel pump but it didn't help. I decided to take the
>car apart tomorrow and let the car sit and cool off this evening. Sure
>enough, the car started fine tonight. Would temperature effect the relay
>like this or the pump? Or the ground taps? Pressure, when I have it, is
>right on the manual's specifications.
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a fuel pump relay problem? Gordon McGrew Honda 1 5 26 Jun 2007 09:44 pm
Is this a fuel pump relay problem? Gordon McGrew Honda 3 6 26 Jun 2007 09:44 pm
98 Acura fuel pump relay... willy Acura 10 17 Jan 2007 07:01 pm
93 Legend L (Fuel Pump Relay) gil Acura 8 19 Feb 2005 09:46 am
Relay or Fuel Pump or ??! Tony Muller Honda 3 2 09 Aug 2004 06:40 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.