Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:30 pm
Peabody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need advice on radiator replacement

So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. Barely broken in. :-)

It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
an inch long, It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
more or less. Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
to get any smaller.

I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself. The local
independent Honda/Accura repair shop is quoting me around $400.

I assume the fans unbolt and swing out of the way. That would
leave the upper and lower radiator hoses, and I assume the
transmission oil coolant connections. Anything else?

I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement, maybe some
detailed instructions on how to do this, and suggestions for where
to get the replacement radiator.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm particularly goosey about the
transmission cooling.

I guess it's silly to think of putting JB Weld on the crack? I
mean it looks like it's plastic, so I assume there's no way to
patch the crack effectively. Right?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:56 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in news:20101210-
183031.636.0@news.cox.net:

> So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. Barely broken in. :-)
>
> It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
> an inch long, It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
> more or less. Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
> to get any smaller.
>
> I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself.




This is a very easy job. Two clamps on top, the fans' electrical
connections, the hoses, then the rad just lifts out.



> The local
> independent Honda/Accura repair shop is quoting me around $400.
>
> I assume the fans unbolt and swing out of the way.




It's best to leave the fans attached to the rad when the rad is removed.



> That would
> leave the upper and lower radiator hoses, and I assume the
> transmission oil coolant connections. Anything else?





Leave the lower rad hose attached to the rad, and disconnect it at the
engine only. Remove the upper hose entirely.




>
> I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement, maybe some
> detailed instructions on how to do this,




It's easy. Once you start tearing into the job, it should be pretty
obvious.



> and suggestions for where
> to get the replacement radiator.




Any auto parts place. Try to get a Visteon rad, if you can get one. If
not, any aluminum rad will do. Aftermarket aluminum rads are of pretty
good quality.


>
> Any suggestions appreciated. I'm particularly goosey about the
> transmission cooling.




The lines will make a mess once they're detached, so have a drip tray
under there.


Replace the rad hoses (with new OEM) while you're in there. THIS is the
time to do it! And reuse the original hose spring-clamps if they haven't
been replaced with aftermarket worm-screw types.

Have some fine emery-cloth handy to clean up the hose stubs. Corrosion
will make new hoses very difficult to attach. A bit of dish soap on the
stub helps the new hoses slip on more easily.



>
> I guess it's silly to think of putting JB Weld on the crack? I
> mean it looks like it's plastic, so I assume there's no way to
> patch the crack effectively. Right?
>



You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying JB Weld, so I'd do that
first. Just don't expect long-term success. Thermal cycling will
eventually crack the JB Weld.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:01 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

On 12/10/2010 10:30 AM, Peabody wrote:
> So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. Barely broken in. :-)
>
> It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
> an inch long, It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
> more or less. Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
> to get any smaller.
>
> I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself. The local
> independent Honda/Accura repair shop is quoting me around $400.
>
> I assume the fans unbolt and swing out of the way. That would
> leave the upper and lower radiator hoses, and I assume the
> transmission oil coolant connections. Anything else?
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement, maybe some
> detailed instructions on how to do this, and suggestions for where
> to get the replacement radiator.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated. I'm particularly goosey about the
> transmission cooling.
>
> I guess it's silly to think of putting JB Weld on the crack? I
> mean it looks like it's plastic, so I assume there's no way to
> patch the crack effectively. Right?
>
>


decent quality new rads are so cheap, and the consequences of losing
pressure and the subsequently boiling coolant warping your cylinder head
so bad, it's not worth not replacing - patching doesn't work.

as for replacement, it's not hard, but there's quite a few steps
involved. suggest buying the factory service manual from helm.com -
while not cheap, it'll help you with many other repairs and will pay for
itself.

get a decent after-market branded rad from somewhere like
autopartsworld.com. don't go with metal tanks, go with plastic like the
oem - modern antifreeze formulations don't work with the solder on those
rads.

when refilling, use distilled or deionized [not softened] water with the
antifreeze, not tap water.

you might need a lube on the coolant hoses for reassembly. don't use
oil based, use water based. ky works great.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 03:54 pm
Ron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

On Dec 10, 1:56*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
>
> You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying JB Weld, so I'd do that
> first. Just don't expect long-term success. Thermal cycling will
> eventually crack the JB Weld.


JBW doesn't work worth a shit on plastic.

This is MUCH better.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...tic-Bonder.htm

Just bought some at Walmart for $6.00. Only difference is what I
bought has a 5 minute and not 20 minute set time.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 04:08 pm
Ron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

On Dec 10, 1:30*pm, Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. *Barely broken in. :-)
>
> It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
> an inch long, *It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
> more or less. *Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
> to get any smaller.
>
> I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself. *The local
> independent Honda/Accura repair shop is quoting me around $400.
>
> I assume the fans unbolt and swing out of the way. *That would
> leave the upper and lower radiator hoses, and I assume the
> transmission oil coolant connections. *Anything else?
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement, maybe some
> detailed instructions on how to do this, and suggestions for where
> to get the replacement radiator.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated. *I'm particularly goosey about the
> transmission cooling.
>
> I guess it's silly to think of putting JB Weld on the crack? *I
> mean it looks like it's plastic, so I assume there's no way to
> patch the crack effectively. *Right?


Very easy to replace!

This used to be a zip file download only. Looks like you now have to
use Rapid Share (free) to get the zip file.

http://manualspace.com/honda-accord-...ice-manual.htm

Look under "cooling" after download.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 05:18 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

Ron <BigELilE05@msn.com> wrote in
news:9562afc0-0127-4a79-aefd-b829e9143b59@o4g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 10, 1:56*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying JB Weld, so I'd do that
>> first. Just don't expect long-term success. Thermal cycling will
>> eventually crack the JB Weld.

>
> JBW doesn't work worth a shit on plastic.
>
> This is MUCH better.
>
> http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...ctite-Epoxy-Pl
> astic-Bonder.htm
>
> Just bought some at Walmart for $6.00. Only difference is what I
> bought has a 5 minute and not 20 minute set time.
>



I stand corrected.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:01 pm
Peabody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

Ron says...

> JBW doesn't work worth a shit on plastic.


> This is MUCH better.


> http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...c_s/overview/L
> octite-Epoxy-Plastic -Bonder.htm


> Just bought some at Walmart for $6.00. Only difference
> is what I bought has a 5 minute and not 20 minute set
> time.


Thanks. I'll keep that for future reference. But further
inspection reveals it's also leaking at the seams - where
the top tank connects to the body of the radiator. Looks
like several places. So it's time to replace it.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

On 12/10/2010 10:56 AM, Tegger wrote:
> Peabody<waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in news:20101210-
> 183031.636.0@news.cox.net:
>
>> So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. Barely broken in. :-)
>>
>> It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
>> an inch long, It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
>> more or less. Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
>> to get any smaller.
>>
>> I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself.

>
>
>
> This is a very easy job. Two clamps on top, the fans' electrical
> connections, the hoses, then the rad just lifts out.


the transmission hoses disconnect at the transmission. the a/c hoses
may need slight bending out of the way, but it's harmless to do so.


>
>
>
>> The local
>> independent Honda/Accura repair shop is quoting me around $400.
>>
>> I assume the fans unbolt and swing out of the way.

>
>
>
> It's best to leave the fans attached to the rad when the rad is removed.
>
>
>
>> That would
>> leave the upper and lower radiator hoses, and I assume the
>> transmission oil coolant connections. Anything else?

>
>
>
>
> Leave the lower rad hose attached to the rad, and disconnect it at the
> engine only. Remove the upper hose entirely.


yup.


>
>
>
>
>>
>> I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement, maybe some
>> detailed instructions on how to do this,

>
>
>
> It's easy. Once you start tearing into the job, it should be pretty
> obvious.
>
>
>
>> and suggestions for where
>> to get the replacement radiator.

>
>
>
> Any auto parts place. Try to get a Visteon rad, if you can get one. If
> not, any aluminum rad will do. Aftermarket aluminum rads are of pretty
> good quality.


i'd avoid the really cheap ones - they're pretty danged thin and
unbelievably easily punctured. visteon is a good call.


>
>
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated. I'm particularly goosey about the
>> transmission cooling.

>
>
>
> The lines will make a mess once they're detached, so have a drip tray
> under there.
>
>
> Replace the rad hoses (with new OEM) while you're in there. THIS is the
> time to do it! And reuse the original hose spring-clamps if they haven't
> been replaced with aftermarket worm-screw types.
>
> Have some fine emery-cloth handy to clean up the hose stubs. Corrosion
> will make new hoses very difficult to attach. A bit of dish soap on the
> stub helps the new hoses slip on more easily.


soap's not such a good idea - foaming is the last thing you need in
radiator coolant.


>
>
>
>>
>> I guess it's silly to think of putting JB Weld on the crack? I
>> mean it looks like it's plastic, so I assume there's no way to
>> patch the crack effectively. Right?
>>

>
>
> You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying JB Weld, so I'd do that
> first. Just don't expect long-term success. Thermal cycling will
> eventually crack the JB Weld.
>



--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:19 pm
Peabody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

Tegger says...

> Any auto parts place. Try to get a Visteon rad, if you
> can get one. If not, any aluminum rad will do.
> Aftermarket aluminum rads are of pretty good quality.


Well, O'Reilly and AutoZone appear to carry the same
radiator. At least they have the exact same price - $94.99.
I see there are some available online for less, but I'm
under some time pressure and will probably go for a local
one. Besides, they do have a lifetime warranty, which might
have some value at some point.

> Replace the rad hoses (with new OEM) while you're in
> there. THIS is the time to do it! And reuse the original
> hose spring-clamps if they haven't been replaced with
> aftermarket worm-screw types.


Well, the current hoses are original, but at 67k miles they
appear to be in very good shape. So I don't know. But I
understand what you're saying.

So do I have to remove something called the drip pan from
underneath the car? And will the standard wheel jack be
enough to do whatever lifting I'll need to do?

I have one other concern. I have replaced the thermostat
before, and remember having some trouble with the little
bleed valve that's used to remove any air. It didn't want
to shut off, so I'm worried what I may have done to it when
tightening it down. Since I'll need to use it again, I'm
concerned it may be damaged and I may not be able to get it
to close at all. Actually, I'm not quite sure how it
works. Would a parts store carry the right replacement
valve if I wanted to buy one just in case? Would there be
any risk in trying to remove the old one? I'm assuming the
body of the valve screws in to the thermostat housing or
whatever.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm
Ron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice on radiator replacement

On Dec 10, 7:18*pm, jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 10:56 AM, Tegger wrote:
>
>
>
> > Peabody<waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> *wrote in news:20101210-
> > 183031.63...@news.cox.net:

>
> >> So it's a 94 Accord with 67K miles. *Barely broken in. :-)

>
> >> It seems I have a small crack near the top of the radiator, about
> >> an inch long, *It's weeping, but still able to maintain pressure,
> >> more or less. *Anyway, I want to replace it - the crack isn't going
> >> to get any smaller.

>
> >> I'm pretty handy, and wonder if I can do this myself.

>
> > This is a very easy job. Two clamps on top, the fans' electrical
> > connections, the hoses, then the rad just lifts out.

>
> the transmission hoses disconnect at the transmission. *the a/c hoses
> may need slight bending out of the way, but it's harmless to do so.


What are you talking about? There are 2 rubber hoses with spring
clamps right there at the bottom on the radiator.

Talk about making a job harder than it has to be.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Honda radiator replacement. jimbo13 Honda Technical 1 20 Sep 2010 08:07 pm
Radiator replacement emonpla Honda 3 7 24 Mar 2008 10:32 am
90 Accord Radiator/Condenser Replacement tk121 Honda 2 0 15 Mar 2007 01:30 pm
Need radiator replacement for 88 Prelude 2.0Si Ron Honda 3 0 28 Nov 2004 02:10 pm
Radiator replacement help on '95 Accord PJ Honda 3 6 11 May 2004 01:49 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.