Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Aug 2005, 04:22 pm
A. Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Problem Replacing Muffler 98 Civic

Replacing the muffler without tools was harder than
I thought it would be.

I got the old muffler off. How do I get the
gasket off? Is it hard to do?

This is the one part I dare not screw up since
the exhaust pipe has to stay.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Aug 2005, 07:20 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Problem Replacing Muffler 98 Civic

A. Smith wrote:
> Replacing the muffler without tools was harder than
> I thought it would be.


no kidding! i'm impressed. do you have it on video?

>
> I got the old muffler off. How do I get the
> gasket off? Is it hard to do?


no. it just pulls out. you clean out the debris, put the new one in,
and you're in business. in the immortal words of the haynes manual,
"assembly is the reverse of removal".

>
> This is the one part I dare not screw up since
> the exhaust pipe has to stay.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2005, 04:49 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Problem Replacing Muffler 98 Civic

"A. Smith" wrote:
>
> Replacing the muffler without tools was harder than
> I thought it would be.


Then what did you use exactly?

> I got the old muffler off. How do I get the
> gasket off? Is it hard to do?


Exhaust gaskets on Hondas are usually the ring type. These tend to get
crushed into a groove on the end of what's officially known as the B pipe
(the middle exhaust pipe). Sometimes you can pop these out with a small
screw driver. However, sometimes you need a small sharp cold chisel to get
under it though be extremely careful not to damage the B pipe. Hint, the
ring gaskets are pretty soft while the steel of the B pipe flange isn't so
if you're hammering away at it then your probably attacking the wrong thing
(a few light taps should be all that's necessary to get under it and then
pop it out with a screw driver).

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2005, 06:13 am
A. Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Problem Replacing Muffler 98 Civic

Eric wrote:
> "A. Smith" wrote:
>
>>Replacing the muffler without tools was harder than
>>I thought it would be.

>
>
> Then what did you use exactly?


OK, usually and appropriate tools.

>
>
>>I got the old muffler off. How do I get the
>>gasket off? Is it hard to do?

>
>
> Exhaust gaskets on Hondas are usually the ring type. These tend to get
> crushed into a groove on the end of what's officially known as the B pipe
> (the middle exhaust pipe). Sometimes you can pop these out with a small
> screw driver. However, sometimes you need a small sharp cold chisel to get
> under it though be extremely careful not to damage the B pipe.


I was going to try a channel lock, but the gasket is in a groove?

Hint, the
> ring gaskets are pretty soft while the steel of the B pipe flange isn't so
> if you're hammering away at it then your probably attacking the wrong thing
> (a few light taps should be all that's necessary to get under it and then
> pop it out with a screw driver).
>
> Eric


My tool of last resort is a Dremmel with a cut-off wheel. I thought I
would "carefully" cut the gasket in two.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'97 Accord muffler problem Orv Honda 2 0 27 Jun 2006 05:22 am
Best Muffler for 98 Civic HX? A. Smith Honda 2 8 18 Aug 2005 09:51 pm
muffler for 98 Civic EX azzuri Honda 1 1 12 Nov 2003 03:03 pm
muffler for 98 Civic EX azzuri Honda 2 1 12 Nov 2003 03:03 pm
Best option for replacing a muffler on my 96 3.2 TL (OEM or After market) Trevor MacLean Acura 1 13 Sep 2003 09:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.