Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 10:23 am
Vikings Fan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Check Engine Light

I would appreciate some feedback on the following issue I have with my Honda
Accord. First, some info. on my car:

It's a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-door Sedan with the VTEC engine. I am the
original owner and have used it primarily as a 2nd car and mainly for city
driving and relatively short trips. Therefore, It only has 76,000 miles on
it. I have taken good care of this car, for the most part, and it hasn't
needed much more than regular maintenance. I have changed the oil on
average about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It has not yet had the original
timing belt replaced. The Honda specialist who services my car says it's
probably OK for now, based on the limited mileage I have put on the car.

About 9 months ago, the yellow "Check Engine" Light started coming on
intermittently. Usually, it comes on either immediately or shortly after
starting my Honda when the engine is cold. If I shut the engine off and
re-start it, the "Check Engine" light will go away until my next cold engine
start. However, if I don't shut down and re-start the engine, the light
will stay on as long as I drive the vehicle (until I shut off the engine).
Sometimes the light comes on well after I have started up the cold engine.
But again, It will go away (temporarily) if I shut down and re-start the
engine.

During this time, I have had a comprehensive tune-up (including valve
adjustment) done on the car and replaced the muffler assembly. Neither one
of these things solved or even reduced the problem.

My owner's manual says that if the light goes off after shutting off and
re-starting the engine, that it is not as serious as the light staying on
continuously even after re-starting the engine.

From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can cause
the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not so serious.
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I could
diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a false positive due to
the age of the vehicle and the sensor not working properly?

Thanks for your help!



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 10:52 am
phil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

Vikings Fan wrote:

> I would appreciate some feedback on the following issue I have with my Honda
> Accord. First, some info. on my car:
>
> It's a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-door Sedan with the VTEC engine. I am the
> original owner and have used it primarily as a 2nd car and mainly for city
> driving and relatively short trips. Therefore, It only has 76,000 miles on
> it. I have taken good care of this car, for the most part, and it hasn't
> needed much more than regular maintenance. I have changed the oil on
> average about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It has not yet had the original
> timing belt replaced. The Honda specialist who services my car says it's
> probably OK for now, based on the limited mileage I have put on the car.
>
> About 9 months ago, the yellow "Check Engine" Light started coming on
> intermittently. Usually, it comes on either immediately or shortly after
> starting my Honda when the engine is cold. If I shut the engine off and
> re-start it, the "Check Engine" light will go away until my next cold engine
> start. However, if I don't shut down and re-start the engine, the light
> will stay on as long as I drive the vehicle (until I shut off the engine).
> Sometimes the light comes on well after I have started up the cold engine.
> But again, It will go away (temporarily) if I shut down and re-start the
> engine.
>
> During this time, I have had a comprehensive tune-up (including valve
> adjustment) done on the car and replaced the muffler assembly. Neither one
> of these things solved or even reduced the problem.
>
> My owner's manual says that if the light goes off after shutting off and
> re-starting the engine, that it is not as serious as the light staying on
> continuously even after re-starting the engine.
>
> From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can cause
> the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not so serious.
> Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I could
> diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a false positive due to
> the age of the vehicle and the sensor not working properly?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
>
>

Take to AutoZone for a FREE diagnosis...most likely your O2 sensor
(Oxygen Sensor) will be the cause.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 02:01 pm
Vikings Fan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light


Thanks Phil, but is the problem likely as simple as that? I hope so . . .
I'll start there.



"phil" <ndccpf1@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
news:K_%Pe.212$DV.60@trndny07...
> Vikings Fan wrote:
>
> > I would appreciate some feedback on the following issue I have with my

Honda
> > Accord. First, some info. on my car:
> >
> > It's a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-door Sedan with the VTEC engine. I am the
> > original owner and have used it primarily as a 2nd car and mainly for

city
> > driving and relatively short trips. Therefore, It only has 76,000 miles

on
> > it. I have taken good care of this car, for the most part, and it

hasn't
> > needed much more than regular maintenance. I have changed the oil on
> > average about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It has not yet had the

original
> > timing belt replaced. The Honda specialist who services my car says

it's
> > probably OK for now, based on the limited mileage I have put on the car.
> >
> > About 9 months ago, the yellow "Check Engine" Light started coming on
> > intermittently. Usually, it comes on either immediately or shortly

after
> > starting my Honda when the engine is cold. If I shut the engine off and
> > re-start it, the "Check Engine" light will go away until my next cold

engine
> > start. However, if I don't shut down and re-start the engine, the light
> > will stay on as long as I drive the vehicle (until I shut off the

engine).
> > Sometimes the light comes on well after I have started up the cold

engine.
> > But again, It will go away (temporarily) if I shut down and re-start the
> > engine.
> >
> > During this time, I have had a comprehensive tune-up (including valve
> > adjustment) done on the car and replaced the muffler assembly. Neither

one
> > of these things solved or even reduced the problem.
> >
> > My owner's manual says that if the light goes off after shutting off and
> > re-starting the engine, that it is not as serious as the light staying

on
> > continuously even after re-starting the engine.
> >
> > From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can

cause
> > the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not so

serious.
> > Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I could
> > diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a false positive due

to
> > the age of the vehicle and the sensor not working properly?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> >
> >

> Take to AutoZone for a FREE diagnosis...most likely your O2 sensor
> (Oxygen Sensor) will be the cause.
>
> Phil



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 02:57 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

Vikings Fan wrote:
>
> I would appreciate some feedback on the following issue I have with my Honda
> Accord. First, some info. on my car:
>
> It's a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-door Sedan with the VTEC engine. I am the
> original owner and have used it primarily as a 2nd car and mainly for city
> driving and relatively short trips. Therefore, It only has 76,000 miles on
> it. I have taken good care of this car, for the most part, and it hasn't
> needed much more than regular maintenance. I have changed the oil on
> average about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It has not yet had the original
> timing belt replaced. The Honda specialist who services my car says it's
> probably OK for now, based on the limited mileage I have put on the car.
>
> About 9 months ago, the yellow "Check Engine" Light started coming on
> intermittently. Usually, it comes on either immediately or shortly after
> starting my Honda when the engine is cold. If I shut the engine off and
> re-start it, the "Check Engine" light will go away until my next cold engine
> start. However, if I don't shut down and re-start the engine, the light
> will stay on as long as I drive the vehicle (until I shut off the engine).
> Sometimes the light comes on well after I have started up the cold engine.
> But again, It will go away (temporarily) if I shut down and re-start the
> engine.
>
> During this time, I have had a comprehensive tune-up (including valve
> adjustment) done on the car and replaced the muffler assembly. Neither one
> of these things solved or even reduced the problem.
>
> My owner's manual says that if the light goes off after shutting off and
> re-starting the engine, that it is not as serious as the light staying on
> continuously even after re-starting the engine.
>
> From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can cause
> the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not so serious.
> Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I could
> diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a false positive due to
> the age of the vehicle and the sensor not working properly?
>
> Thanks for your help!


==================================

Your timing belt is OVERDUE, based on TIME. Phil may be right about the
sensor . . Having the code read is the logical place to start. You don't
need a Honda dealer to do either.

Read this part of Tegger's FAQ regarding the belt
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#interference

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 05:29 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

"Vikings Fan" <ddd@eee.com> wrote in
news:Xz%Pe.16345$mb4.12947@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:


<snip>


>
> From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can
> cause the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not
> so serious. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem
> and how I could diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a
> false positive due to the age of the vehicle and the sensor not
> working properly?
>




A 1994 Civic is not OBD-II. AutoZone's free code reading service will be
useless determining the error stored in the ECU, unless they do OBD-1 as
well (do they?). In any case, AutoZone in California will not do free code
reads for you, if you happen to live there.

Check here:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#retrieve
Start from Page 13 of the PDF. You need to short the Service Connector with
a paper clip and read the flashes of the Check Engine Light.

There may be both long and short blinks, and the sequence will be delimited
by a long pause. A long blink is 10, and a short is 1, so the sequence
long-long-short is code 21.There may be more than one code stored, so watch
carefully!

If you do not have a free PDF reader, click here: www.adobe.com

You need to get the error code and post back here. If the CEL keeps coming
on, there is a persistent problem that needs attention.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 05:34 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in
news:Xns96BFBC1B88E34tegger@207.14.113.17:


> A 1994 Civic is not OBD-II. AutoZone's free code reading service will
> be useless determining the error stored in the ECU, unless they do
> OBD-1 as well (do they?). In any case, AutoZone in California will not
> do free code reads for you, if you happen to live there.
>
> Check here:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#retrieve
> Start from Page 13 of the PDF.



Guess I should give the URL to the actual PDF, no?
http://www.iequus.com/assets/manuals..._E_14JAN03.pdf

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Aug 2005, 05:45 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

Vikings Fan wrote:
> I would appreciate some feedback on the following issue I have with my Honda
> Accord. First, some info. on my car:
>
> It's a 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-door Sedan with the VTEC engine. I am the
> original owner and have used it primarily as a 2nd car and mainly for city
> driving and relatively short trips. Therefore, It only has 76,000 miles on
> it. I have taken good care of this car, for the most part, and it hasn't
> needed much more than regular maintenance. I have changed the oil on
> average about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. It has not yet had the original
> timing belt replaced. The Honda specialist who services my car says it's
> probably OK for now, based on the limited mileage I have put on the car.
>
> About 9 months ago, the yellow "Check Engine" Light started coming on
> intermittently. Usually, it comes on either immediately or shortly after
> starting my Honda when the engine is cold. If I shut the engine off and
> re-start it, the "Check Engine" light will go away until my next cold engine
> start. However, if I don't shut down and re-start the engine, the light
> will stay on as long as I drive the vehicle (until I shut off the engine).
> Sometimes the light comes on well after I have started up the cold engine.
> But again, It will go away (temporarily) if I shut down and re-start the
> engine.
>
> During this time, I have had a comprehensive tune-up (including valve
> adjustment) done on the car and replaced the muffler assembly. Neither one
> of these things solved or even reduced the problem.
>
> My owner's manual says that if the light goes off after shutting off and
> re-starting the engine, that it is not as serious as the light staying on
> continuously even after re-starting the engine.
>
> From reading this newsgroup, it seems like many different things can cause
> the "Check Engine" light to come on, some serious and some not so serious.
> Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I could
> diagnose/fix it? Could the warning light just be a false positive due to
> the age of the vehicle and the sensor not working properly?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
>
>

you can get a similar problem caused by a slow loss of coolant.
basically, the temp sensor in the head doesn't get properly immersed, so
it registers low - thus causing the engine to over-inject gas. this
causes the exhaust to remain too rich and the oxygen sensor registers an
error.

first, get the code for the error to confirm what the ecu thinks the
problem is.

second, check the coolant in the radiator [when cold, remove the cap and
look inside] - do /not/ assume that because the expansion bottle is
full, that the radiator is full.

third. find yourself a better "honda specialist". valve adjustment and
muffler replacement are just so low down the list of probable cause, you
can pretty much disregard them.

once you've done that, get on with the proper diagnosis. use whatever
the ecu says is code to start, then work from there. respond back to
group with the code[s] and any further diagnosis you've had.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Aug 2005, 07:18 am
B Squareman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light

"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote

> Guess I should give the URL to the actual PDF, no?
> http://www.iequus.com/assets/manuals..._E_14JAN03.pdf


Download Foxit PDF reader. Much less CPU demanding than Adobe's 11MB reader.

Foxit reader home
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Download
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/pdfrd.zip 1.3 MB




Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light On - What Should I do? doctornirav@gmail.com Honda 3 3 01 Jul 2007 08:10 am
1991 S light blinks and check engine light comes on vgn001 Honda 2 0 20 Mar 2007 12:31 pm
Check engine light on ¤jº~¥Á±Ú Acura 6 03 Nov 2006 03:54 pm
97' Honda Passport w/ check trans and check engine light on Nutt Honda 2 2 13 May 2004 07:53 pm
the check engine light and tcs light has just come on in my 2000 odyssey Chris Hardt Honda 3 1 12 Sep 2003 02:24 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.