Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 01:05 pm
robert sheldon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

This has hapened 4 times over a period of about 4 months. The car is
around normal operating temperature. Turn off the engine. Come back
in a few nimutes and it won't start. The starter turns over the engine
normally but there is not so much as a sputter. Sort of sounds like no
spark. At least there is gas in the tank and it runs normally later.
I have a Haynes manual and did some checking in the electrical section.
There two 20 amp fuses. #27 goes to the ignition switch which a month
ago I swear measured 1.5K ohms so replaced it. Maybe I measured wrong.
The car restarted fine for a month so I thought I had it beat. This
morning same problem and again it restarted after 15 minutes wait.
It's hard to fix something which only fails once a months and stays
froken for 15 minutes. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 01:41 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

robert sheldon wrote:
> This has hapened 4 times over a period of about 4 months. The car is
> around normal operating temperature. Turn off the engine. Come back
> in a few nimutes and it won't start. The starter turns over the engine
> normally but there is not so much as a sputter. Sort of sounds like no
> spark. At least there is gas in the tank and it runs normally later.
> I have a Haynes manual and did some checking in the electrical section.
> There two 20 amp fuses. #27 goes to the ignition switch which a month
> ago I swear measured 1.5K ohms so replaced it. Maybe I measured wrong.
> The car restarted fine for a month so I thought I had it beat. This
> morning same problem and again it restarted after 15 minutes wait.
> It's hard to fix something which only fails once a months and stays
> froken for 15 minutes. Any ideas???


google is your friend. this problem comes up on this group weekly.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 02:43 pm
Ianegon007
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

I would say faulty main relay.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 04:00 pm
robert sheldon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

In article <1124567009.387771.280290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
Ianegon007 <ianegon007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I would say faulty main relay.
>

Thanks for both of the speedy replies. Google steared me to a bunch of
good info. It seems that it might be a bad main relay or perhaps an
intermitant ignition module. As it only hapens once a month or so I
will probably never catch it when I have the facilities to test it.
The best move seems just to change the main relay and hope it never
happens again. So I have just 2 questions. Where is the main relay
located? Secondly, there were several references to the igniter. Must
be some part of a solid state ignition system but what is it?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 05:06 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

robert sheldon wrote:
> In article <1124567009.387771.280290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
> Ianegon007 <ianegon007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I would say faulty main relay.
>>

>
> Thanks for both of the speedy replies. Google steared me to a bunch of
> good info. It seems that it might be a bad main relay or perhaps an
> intermitant ignition module. As it only hapens once a month or so I
> will probably never catch it when I have the facilities to test it.
> The best move seems just to change the main relay and hope it never
> happens again. So I have just 2 questions. Where is the main relay
> located? Secondly, there were several references to the igniter. Must
> be some part of a solid state ignition system but what is it?


it's the main relay. just replace or resolder. check out tegger.com
for details on how to do it. don't worry about the igniter - it doesn't
give intermittent faults.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 06:21 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

"jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
news:OL6dndXUyMXJNJreRVn-pw@speakeasy.net...

> it's the main relay. just replace or resolder. check out tegger.com for
> details on how to do it. don't worry about the igniter - it doesn't give
> intermittent faults.
>

I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure the ignitor doesn't produce
intermittents. My daughter's '93 Accord was giving her intermittent trouble,
especially on starting. I resoldered the main relay - still intermittent. I
replaced the main relay and there was only one more intermittent before the
ignitor died completely (a week or two later, IIRC). No more since then. But
at least she has a new main relay now, and that's a good thing. And I
agree - the main relay is the way to bet.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 06:39 pm
robert sheldon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

In article <OL6dndXUyMXJNJreRVn-pw@speakeasy.net>, jim beam
<nospam@example.net> wrote:

> robert sheldon wrote:
> > In article <1124567009.387771.280290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
> > Ianegon007 <ianegon007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I would say faulty main relay.
> >>

> >
> > Thanks for both of the speedy replies. Google steared me to a bunch of
> > good info. It seems that it might be a bad main relay or perhaps an
> > intermitant ignition module. As it only hapens once a month or so I
> > will probably never catch it when I have the facilities to test it.
> > The best move seems just to change the main relay and hope it never
> > happens again. So I have just 2 questions. Where is the main relay
> > located? Secondly, there were several references to the igniter. Must
> > be some part of a solid state ignition system but what is it?

>
> it's the main relay. just replace or resolder. check out tegger.com
> for details on how to do it. don't worry about the igniter - it doesn't
> give intermittent faults.
>

Thanks again.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2005, 11:04 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.



robert sheldon wrote:
>
> This has hapened 4 times over a period of about 4 months. The car is
> around normal operating temperature. Turn off the engine. Come back
> in a few nimutes and it won't start. The starter turns over the engine
> normally but there is not so much as a sputter. Sort of sounds like no
> spark. At least there is gas in the tank and it runs normally later.
> I have a Haynes manual and did some checking in the electrical section.
> There two 20 amp fuses. #27 goes to the ignition switch which a month
> ago I swear measured 1.5K ohms so replaced it. Maybe I measured wrong.
> The car restarted fine for a month so I thought I had it beat. This
> morning same problem and again it restarted after 15 minutes wait.
> It's hard to fix something which only fails once a months and stays
> froken for 15 minutes. Any ideas???



---------------------------------

Search this group for more confirmation. When it won't start, turn the
key to position II, and smack the dash with your fist. You'll hear the
fuel pump run for two seconds. Start car. The vibration will keep it
going.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2005, 08:35 am
robert sheldon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

In article <4307FD57.F2E24D10@_interbaun.com>, 'Curly Q. Links'
<motsco_@_interbaun.com> wrote:

> robert sheldon wrote:
> >
> > This has hapened 4 times over a period of about 4 months. The car is
> > around normal operating temperature. Turn off the engine. Come back
> > in a few nimutes and it won't start. The starter turns over the engine
> > normally but there is not so much as a sputter. Sort of sounds like no
> > spark. At least there is gas in the tank and it runs normally later.
> > I have a Haynes manual and did some checking in the electrical section.
> > There two 20 amp fuses. #27 goes to the ignition switch which a month
> > ago I swear measured 1.5K ohms so replaced it. Maybe I measured wrong.
> > The car restarted fine for a month so I thought I had it beat. This
> > morning same problem and again it restarted after 15 minutes wait.
> > It's hard to fix something which only fails once a months and stays
> > froken for 15 minutes. Any ideas???

>
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> Search this group for more confirmation. When it won't start, turn the
> key to position II, and smack the dash with your fist. You'll hear the
> fuel pump run for two seconds. Start car. The vibration will keep it
> going.
>
> 'Curly'

My wife drives this one to work. I thik I'd better save this trick for
an emergency. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'91 accord made grinding sound but now sounds fine jrenfree@gmail.com Honda 2 2 24 Feb 2006 06:44 am
'91 accord made grinding noise but now sounds fine jrenfree@gmail.com Honda 3 2 23 Feb 2006 10:44 pm
Restart stalling on '99 Accord ULEV-4 Randy MacKenna Honda 3 6 30 Jun 2005 10:36 pm
Need advice... 95 Civic dies and won't start, but then starts and is fine. In2hoppn Honda 3 17 23 Jan 2005 02:41 pm
89 Accord cold weather - starts fine, but won't start again Phil Campbell Honda 3 1 25 Sep 2003 11:16 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.