Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2005, 11:34 am
T L via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Easiest job, installing a tachometer!


I just installed a tach on my 98 Civic LX (Canadian, so thats the cheap
version). It cost me about $100 canadian, and took 15 minutes. I'm very
impressed with the design, but it leaves me wondering, why don't they just
put a tach in all vehicles from the factory, especially if they are all
prewired for it? I didn't have to run any wires at all, so its just a little
weird. Like how much more could it cost to make all civic gauge clusters
with tachs? When you factor in part reduction, probably about the same, no?

t


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200507/1
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2005, 05:11 pm
Stewart DIBBS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Easiest job, installing a tachometer!


"T L via CarKB.com" <forum@CarKB.com> wrote in message
news:5219EBB9C241D@CarKB.com...
> Like how much more could it cost to make all civic gauge clusters
> with tachs?


I'd guess it PURELY a marketting decision. Base models don't have tachs,
up-market versions do, and its part of the package set.

Stewart DIBBS


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2005, 09:26 pm
Brian Stell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Easiest job, installing a tachometer!

Stewart DIBBS wrote:
> "T L via CarKB.com" <forum@CarKB.com> wrote in message
> news:5219EBB9C241D@CarKB.com...
>
>>Like how much more could it cost to make all civic gauge clusters
>>with tachs?

>
>
> I'd guess it PURELY a marketting decision. Base models don't have tachs,
> up-market versions do, and its part of the package set.


Absolutely market(ing) driven: *most* people don't really care about a
tach, or a good stereo/speakers (something I care about), or "name your
favorite item(s) here".

For base models: fewer items = lower cost = more sales.

People definitely price shop, hence the pressure to lower prices.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2005, 01:08 am
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Easiest job, installing a tachometer!

T L via CarKB.com wrote:
> I just installed a tach on my 98 Civic LX (Canadian, so thats the cheap
> version). It cost me about $100 canadian, and took 15 minutes. I'm very
> impressed with the design, but it leaves me wondering, why don't they just
> put a tach in all vehicles from the factory, especially if they are all
> prewired for it? I didn't have to run any wires at all, so its just a little
> weird. Like how much more could it cost to make all civic gauge clusters
> with tachs? When you factor in part reduction, probably about the same, no?
>
> t
>
>


Nothing is free, but you are probably right that the cost differential
to include it would be very small.

However, base models of most vehicles have very skinny profit margins
and Honda hopes almost nobody buys the stripper version. They take as
much out as possible in order to advertise a low price, then count on
the vast majority of people to pony up for the higher level vehicles in
order to get the long list of goodies. Pretty basic modern marketing .


John
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tachometer on a DX Cyberbilly Honda 3 4 04 Aug 2003 11:00 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.