Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:20 pm
randy@rlfarms.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 91 prelude dash gauges dead turn indicaters glowing

My Niece has a 91 Prelude, about a week after the stereo installers
got done with it, all gauges (tach, fuel and temp) are at the low end
of their scales and the turn signal and high beam indicators are half
light, untill you turn on the high beams, then the high beam indicator
goes out..... My conclusion: lost a ground to the IP. A .pdf manual
I found on line shows the above mentioned items are on a common ground
buss that hits the body (firewall) behind the dash in the center of
the car. Is anyone familiar with this, before I spend x amount of
time gaining access to the ground wires behind the stereo??????
Thanks for any insight to this problem!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:48 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 prelude dash gauges dead turn indicaters glowing

randy@rlfarms.com wrote:
> My Niece has a 91 Prelude, about a week after the stereo installers
> got done with it, all gauges (tach, fuel and temp) are at the low end
> of their scales and the turn signal and high beam indicators are half
> light, untill you turn on the high beams, then the high beam indicator
> goes out..... My conclusion: lost a ground to the IP. A .pdf manual
> I found on line shows the above mentioned items are on a common ground
> buss that hits the body (firewall) behind the dash in the center of
> the car. Is anyone familiar with this, before I spend x amount of
> time gaining access to the ground wires behind the stereo??????
> Thanks for any insight to this problem!!


definitely sounds like a grounding problem. why not take it back to the
stereo monkeys & make them fix it? they broke it.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2005, 08:52 am
randy@farm.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 prelude dash gauges dead turn indicaters glowing

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:48:49 -0700, jim beam <nospam@example.net>
wrote:

>randy@rlfarms.com wrote:
>> My Niece has a 91 Prelude, about a week after the stereo installers
>> got done with it, all gauges (tach, fuel and temp) are at the low end
>> of their scales and the turn signal and high beam indicators are half
>> light, untill you turn on the high beams, then the high beam indicator
>> goes out..... My conclusion: lost a ground to the IP. A .pdf manual
>> I found on line shows the above mentioned items are on a common ground
>> buss that hits the body (firewall) behind the dash in the center of
>> the car. Is anyone familiar with this, before I spend x amount of
>> time gaining access to the ground wires behind the stereo??????
>> Thanks for any insight to this problem!!

>
>definitely sounds like a grounding problem. why not take it back to the
>stereo monkeys & make them fix it? they broke it.



well, as luck would have it, it happened 2 weeks after the stereo was
installed... She took it somewhere, (probably not the stereo shop, not
sure) and they couldn't find the problem.... I'm an electronics tech,
used to taking care of pc's, plc's and remote controls for things
like load tap changer transformers, capacitor bank controls for
electrical substations, irrigation controls, for pumps and gates to
control canal flows and levels etc. data and telecom, pbx phone
switches, two-way radio systems etc. .... I just hate to work on cars,
even my own!!!!(did thousands of two-way and mobile phones 25 years
ago!! But I figure the guy I would take it to (if I ever took my
stuff anywhere for repair) doesn't like it either, and it's not his
car!!! So I fix my own stuff!!! I just don't pretzel under a dash
like I used to!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2005, 07:50 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 prelude dash gauges dead turn indicaters glowing

randy@farm.net wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:48:49 -0700, jim beam <nospam@example.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>randy@rlfarms.com wrote:
>>
>>>My Niece has a 91 Prelude, about a week after the stereo installers
>>>got done with it, all gauges (tach, fuel and temp) are at the low end
>>>of their scales and the turn signal and high beam indicators are half
>>>light, untill you turn on the high beams, then the high beam indicator
>>>goes out..... My conclusion: lost a ground to the IP. A .pdf manual
>>>I found on line shows the above mentioned items are on a common ground
>>>buss that hits the body (firewall) behind the dash in the center of
>>>the car. Is anyone familiar with this, before I spend x amount of
>>>time gaining access to the ground wires behind the stereo??????
>>>Thanks for any insight to this problem!!

>>
>>definitely sounds like a grounding problem. why not take it back to the
>>stereo monkeys & make them fix it? they broke it.

>
>
>
> well, as luck would have it, it happened 2 weeks after the stereo was
> installed... She took it somewhere, (probably not the stereo shop, not
> sure) and they couldn't find the problem.... I'm an electronics tech,
> used to taking care of pc's, plc's and remote controls for things
> like load tap changer transformers, capacitor bank controls for
> electrical substations, irrigation controls, for pumps and gates to
> control canal flows and levels etc. data and telecom, pbx phone
> switches, two-way radio systems etc. .... I just hate to work on cars,
> even my own!!!!(did thousands of two-way and mobile phones 25 years
> ago!! But I figure the guy I would take it to (if I ever took my
> stuff anywhere for repair) doesn't like it either, and it's not his
> car!!! So I fix my own stuff!!! I just don't pretzel under a dash
> like I used to!!!


at least you sound like you know what you'll be doing! if the prelude's
like my civics, it's pretty easy to strip down without too much pretzel
factor.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 Integra dash clock dead, head unit dead Chewy Honda 3 1 19 Mar 2006 07:16 pm
Gauges for Prelude shtbox@gmail.com Honda 2 1 01 Sep 2005 03:28 pm
Prelude dash removal Brian Spotts Honda 3 1 18 Jul 2005 10:03 pm
92 Prelude Type S -- speedometer goes dead intermittently Russ Honda 1 1 20 May 2004 11:51 pm
92 Honda Prelude Type S -- speedometer goes dead intermittently Russ Honda 2 2 03 Apr 2004 06:17 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.