Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 10:43 am
Peabody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Wiper blades

Are there genuine Honda wiper blade replacements? I've tried a
couple other brands, but they bounce a lot in light rain. If not
Honda, is there another brand that works well. 94 Accord if it
matters.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 11:35 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades


"Peabody" <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20101101-154342.609.0@news.cox.net...
> Are there genuine Honda wiper blade replacements? I've tried a
> couple other brands, but they bounce a lot in light rain. If not
> Honda, is there another brand that works well. 94 Accord if it
> matters.
>


Replace the blade only, not the wiper arm.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 12:31 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in news:20101101-154342.609.0
@news.cox.net:

> Are there genuine Honda wiper blade replacements? I've tried a
> couple other brands, but they bounce a lot in light rain. If not
> Honda, is there another brand that works well. 94 Accord if it
> matters.




Yes, there are genuine Honda wiper parts, and they are far superior to any
aftermarket alternative.

You can buy these parts:
1) The "refill".
This is the rubber part only (actually contacts the windshield), which is
part of the "blade". On most Hondas you need to keep the steel strips that
originally came with your factory refills. You transfer the strips to the
new refill, then install the new refill into the existing blade. The
refills are about $5-$7 each.
2) The "blade".
This is the part that clips onto the wiper arm which bolts to the car.
These are on the order of $40-$50 each, and come with a rubber "refill"
already installed.

If you have discarded your $40 factory wiper blades, OEM refills may not
fit properly into whatever aftermarket item is currently installed. You may
be able to find OEM blades at a wrecking yard. If not, bite the bullet and
get new blades at the dealer.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 04:52 pm
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

On Nov 1, 1:31*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:20101101-154342.609.0
> @news.cox.net:
>
> > Are there genuine Honda wiper blade replacements? *I've tried a
> > couple other brands, but they bounce a lot in light rain. *If not
> > Honda, is there another brand that works well. *94 Accord if it
> > matters.

>
> Yes, there are genuine Honda wiper parts, and they are far superior to any
> aftermarket alternative.
>
> You can buy these parts:
> 1) The "refill".
> This is the rubber part only (actually contacts the windshield), which is
> part of the "blade". On most Hondas you need to keep the steel strips that
> originally came with your factory refills. You transfer the strips to the
> new refill, then install the new refill into the existing blade. The
> refills are about $5-$7 each.
> 2) The "blade".
> This is the part that clips onto the wiper arm which bolts to the car.
> These are on the order of $40-$50 each, and come with a rubber "refill"
> already installed.
>
> If you have discarded your $40 factory wiper blades, OEM refills may not
> fit properly into whatever aftermarket item is currently installed. You may
> be able to find OEM blades at a wrecking yard. If not, bite the bullet and
> get new blades at the dealer.
>
> --
> Tegger


Honda doesn't make their own blades (most car makers do not either),
Valeo/SWF, Bosch, Anco, or Trico are the likely OEMs for them. Buying
the OEM blade or refill is just plain expensive and unnecessary.

I have used Trico's Exact Fit line on most foreign cars from Mercedes
to Honda, Toyota, and everything in between. They fit and look like
the originals and you can get them at any auto parts chain for under
$12 each depending on the blade size. They also work excellent. Anco
has a similar line called Contour. I have them on my Pontiac G6 and
they are nearly dead matches for the originals. They've been on there
a year and still clean great.

The trick is to keep the wiper blades clean and wash/clean them when
you wash the car. The ozone and dirt degrade the rubber.

On something that old, most times the blade is bent/weathered and a
new set of blades with the refills already attached does the trick.
The only time I buy refills alone are for my classic cars because I
want the look of the OEM arm (they don't see the rain anyway ).

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 05:12 pm
Peabody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

Tegger says...

> Yes, there are genuine Honda wiper parts, and they are
> far superior to any aftermarket alternative.


> If you have discarded your $40 factory wiper blades, OEM
> refills may not fit properly into whatever aftermarket
> item is currently installed. You may be able to find OEM
> blades at a wrecking yard. If not, bite the bullet and
> get new blades at the dealer.


Believe it or not, I kept the original Honda blades. I
could claim that's because I knew I would need them, but in
truth I just never got around to throwing them away. :-)

The old ones were still working fine, but the rubber was
starting to come apart, and I was afraid I'd end up gouging
the glass.

So I'll see about getting the refills.

Thanks very much.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 07:26 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

Joe <ponchoguy@gmail.com> wrote in
news:8ff7c40b-b54e-44be-a7a2-43100e4b7292@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

>
> Honda doesn't make their own blades (most car makers do not either),




No kidding.

Honda (like most automakers) makes precious few of their own parts, but
replies on outside suppliers for most of them.

The point here is that the parts sold under the Honda brand at Honda (and
Acura) dealers have been manufactured and tested to HONDA SPECS. That's the
ONLY way for the suppliers to get Honda to put Honda's highly-respected
brand-name on them. Honda, like most Japanese automakers, is /exceedingly/
exacting about the standards to which the parts are made that will carry
their brand. Those automaker specs mean EVERYTHING! It's a big part of the
reason OE is more expensive.

Just about all OE suppliers provide for the aftermarket as well, but there
is no way of telling if the aftermarket parts are made to the same quality
standards as parts from the same companies sold under the Honda brand.
Often (but not always!) they are decidely not.

For a fact, suppliers are prohibited from using automaker "blueprints" and
specs in designing their aftermarket parts. OEMs selling to the aftermarket
must design their aftermarket parts as close as they can come to OE without
actually using the official OE specs, tooling and jigs as provided by the
manufacturer. OE specs are copyrighted and "Property of..." appears on all
automaker-supplied tools and fitting-jigs.

I've been working on cars since 1981, using both OE and aftermarket parts.
I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that OE is almost always
best: It fits bets, works best, and lasts best.

You might get lucky with certain aftermarket (and some aftermarket is
indeed of pretty good quality), but the operative term here is "get lucky".
With OE Honda you are certain of top-quality: no "get lucky" needed.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 07:34 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in news:20101101-221220.410.0
@news.cox.net:

> Tegger says...
>
> > Yes, there are genuine Honda wiper parts, and they are
> > far superior to any aftermarket alternative.

>
> > If you have discarded your $40 factory wiper blades, OEM
> > refills may not fit properly into whatever aftermarket
> > item is currently installed. You may be able to find OEM
> > blades at a wrecking yard. If not, bite the bullet and
> > get new blades at the dealer.

>
> Believe it or not, I kept the original Honda blades. I
> could claim that's because I knew I would need them, but in
> truth I just never got around to throwing them away. :-)
>
> The old ones were still working fine, but the rubber was
> starting to come apart, and I was afraid I'd end up gouging
> the glass.
>
> So I'll see about getting the refills.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
>



You've been very wise!

When you install the refills, make ABSOLUTELY certain that ALL of the
little hooks catch the refill properly! Miss one and the glass may indeed
get scratched.

Also, be aware that:
If the metal strips are FLAT, they can go on any-which-way. If they are
CURVED, point them so the ends point UP (away from the windshield) for the
driver's side, and DOWN (towards the windshield) for the passenger side.

One last point: Refills are supposed to be replaced every year...at LEAST.
Replace them in the fall. And clean the glass before installing the new
refills.

Why people seem to think refills are supposed to last forever is quite
beyond me.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 08:21 pm
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

On Nov 1, 8:26*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> Joe <poncho...@gmail.com> wrote innews:8ff7c40b-b54e-44be-a7a2-43100e4b7292@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:
>
>
>
> > Honda doesn't make their own blades (most car makers do not either),

>
> No kidding.
>


---Then why are you telling the poster to spend $40 on blades that are
just reboxed from someone else?

> Honda (like most automakers) makes precious few of their own parts, but
> replies on outside suppliers for most of them.


----Some of those same suppliers supply everyone else in the industry
too.

>
> The point here is that the parts sold under the Honda brand at Honda (and
> Acura) dealers have been manufactured and tested to HONDA SPECS. That's the
> ONLY way for the suppliers to get Honda to put Honda's highly-respected
> brand-name on them. Honda, like most Japanese automakers, is /exceedingly/
> exacting about the standards to which the parts are made that will carry
> their brand. Those automaker specs mean EVERYTHING! It's a big part of the
> reason OE is more expensive.


---That is not 100% correct. Delco supplied Honda's batteries for
years. Delco of course being part of GM. Same battery brand you could
buy in the aftermarket. In fact, the replacements were better---they
had higher CCA ratings and reserve capacity ratings over the originals
that came in the car.

If you buy only dealer parts and believe, 'well it's OEM, it's
better', you're very ignorant of the automotive industry and the
market in general. You do realize that when a vehicle ages, the OEM
often changes suppliers. What that means is that you may very well get
an aftermarket part in that OEM box. For instance, the Honda OEM oil
filter may eventually be the same Fram (to the same specs) that you
buy in your local auto parts store. Or, it's the same Purolator (who
whoever the supplier of choice is).

I worked in the auto industry for 10 years, so I know your theory is
flawed .

>
> Just about all OE suppliers provide for the aftermarket as well, but there
> is no way of telling if the aftermarket parts are made to the same quality
> standards as parts from the same companies sold under the Honda brand.
> Often (but not always!) they are decidely not.


--Sure there is. Just ask them. I do it all the time. You have to
realize that they're not going to reinvent their oil filter for Honda
or for anyone else, because they normally don't have to. You're not
getting better motor oil from the Honda dealer as you are from your
local auto parts store, because Mobil Clean 5000 that GM put in the
car from the factory is in fact the same stuff you buy on your parts
store shelf. If you want proof, visit your local GM dealer and ask
them what Goodwrench motor oil is.

Honda does the same thing---from one of the major oil companies. And,
the newsflash is that they do it with virtually everything on the car.
So do most automakers.
>
> For a fact, suppliers are prohibited from using automaker "blueprints" and
> specs in designing their aftermarket parts. OEMs selling to the aftermarket
> must design their aftermarket parts as close as they can come to OE without
> actually using the official OE specs, tooling and jigs as provided by the
> manufacturer. OE specs are copyrighted and "Property of..." appears on all
> automaker-supplied tools and fitting-jigs.
>

----That is also incorrect, as tooling is often jointly shared between
the OEM supplier and the automaker. Ford TPS sensors from CTS
Corporation (who also supply vritually everyone else) is a good
example. Ford tells CTS what they need in a TPS, and it's made for
them.

AC Delco is considered an aftermarket, and that same PF61 oil filter
you buy in Walmart is the same as the dealer is selling you for $7.00
over the counter. Oftentimes, the aftermarket part even has the same
stamping and ID #s as the dealer part.

You also do realize that most of the aftermarket guys aren't making
those parts in their own facilities, they are reboxing parts from
suppliers---in most cases, especially on newer technology, the only
source IS the OEM supplier. And yes, they do sell to the aftermarket.

> I've been working on cars since 1981, using both OE and aftermarket parts..
> I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that OE is almost always
> best: It fits bets, works best, and lasts best.


---You've obviously never been on the inside in the manufacturer/
supplier end as I have. Then you'd know that statement is incorrect.
>
> You might get lucky with certain aftermarket (and some aftermarket is
> indeed of pretty good quality), but the operative term here is "get lucky".
> With OE Honda you are certain of top-quality: no "get lucky" needed. *


--Until they change their supplier to an aftermarket supplier and put
it in their box. At that point, you're paying double for an
aftermarket part that's no better than the one at your local auto
parts store.

>
> --
> Tegger


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

Joe <ponchoguy@gmail.com> wrote in
news:f40498a0-4e93-455b-85a5-473fc14f8311@k22g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:


>
> I worked in the auto industry for 10 years,




So did I.



> so I know your theory is flawed .




What "theory"? What I say is based on personal experience.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2010, 09:56 pm
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wiper blades

"Joe" <ponchoguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8ff7c40b-b54e-44be-a7a2-43100e4b7292@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
On Nov 1, 1:31 pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:20101101-154342.609.0
> @news.cox.net:
>
> > Are there genuine Honda wiper blade replacements? I've tried a
> > couple other brands, but they bounce a lot in light rain. If not
> > Honda, is there another brand that works well. 94 Accord if it
> > matters.

>
> Yes, there are genuine Honda wiper parts, and they are far superior to
> any
> aftermarket alternative.
>
> You can buy these parts:
> 1) The "refill".
> This is the rubber part only (actually contacts the windshield), which
> is
> part of the "blade". On most Hondas you need to keep the steel strips
> that
> originally came with your factory refills. You transfer the strips to
> the
> new refill, then install the new refill into the existing blade. The
> refills are about $5-$7 each.
> 2) The "blade".
> This is the part that clips onto the wiper arm which bolts to the car.
> These are on the order of $40-$50 each, and come with a rubber
> "refill"
> already installed.
>
> If you have discarded your $40 factory wiper blades, OEM refills may
> not
> fit properly into whatever aftermarket item is currently installed.
> You may
> be able to find OEM blades at a wrecking yard. If not, bite the bullet
> and
> get new blades at the dealer.
>
> --
> Tegger


Honda doesn't make their own blades (most car makers do not either),
Valeo/SWF, Bosch, Anco, or Trico are the likely OEMs for them. Buying
the OEM blade or refill is just plain expensive and unnecessary.

I have used Trico's Exact Fit line on most foreign cars from Mercedes
to Honda, Toyota, and everything in between. They fit and look like
the originals and you can get them at any auto parts chain for under
$12 each depending on the blade size. They also work excellent. Anco
has a similar line called Contour. I have them on my Pontiac G6 and
they are nearly dead matches for the originals. They've been on there
a year and still clean great.
-------------------------------------

Why bother with $12 after-market solution when you can get an OEM refill
for about half that price? Frankly, I've been replacing my refills about
twice a year and find the cost of those OEM parts pretty insignificant
compared to other parts.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda OEM wiper blades, any better than aftermarket? techman41973 Honda 2 25 27 Mar 2009 08:09 pm
Wiper Blades question Amber Honda 2 15 11 Feb 2009 01:59 pm
'01 TL noisy windowsheild wiper blades! Jack Acura 6 13 Apr 2007 08:19 pm
Squeeky Wiper Blades Humma Kavula Acura 4 17 Nov 2005 07:02 pm
windshield wiper blades that WORK? Chris Garcia Honda 3 10 17 Oct 2003 01:28 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.