Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:40 pm
Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 91 civic corrosion of rotor button

Hello all,

I was helping a friend recently with his 91 civic sedan (D15 engine code I
think). The car wouldn't start so we went through the ususal things and
finally arrived at the distributor. The contacts were corroded and we
cleaned them as a temporary fix. Car started right up. I suggested he
repalce the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button as a precaution. The cap and
rotor contacts were badly corroded. A couple of days later he had replaced
everything and the car ran fine for about three or four months.

Yesterday he called me because the car wouldn't start again. Again we
pulled the distributor cap to find that the new rotor button and contacts on
the cap were corroded. Though not as bad as the first time. Still they
were corroded bad enough that the car wouldn't start.

Why would these parts corrode that fast? We do live in a high-humidity
environment, but his is the only example of this I've seen. Is there some
sort of seal on the distributor cap that we missed? There wasn't one on it
to begin with, but that could have been ham-fisted by a previous owner.

This one is real a head scratcher for me. Any suggestions are appreciated
or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2005, 02:53 am
Joseph Wind
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 civic corrosion of rotor button

There is an O-ring that fits into the channel of the distributor cap. The
distributor cap should have come with one.

"Mike" <houchins_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ADpre.95810$8S5.61313@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
> Hello all,
>
> I was helping a friend recently with his 91 civic sedan (D15 engine code I
> think). The car wouldn't start so we went through the ususal things and
> finally arrived at the distributor. The contacts were corroded and we
> cleaned them as a temporary fix. Car started right up. I suggested he
> repalce the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button as a precaution. The cap

and
> rotor contacts were badly corroded. A couple of days later he had

replaced
> everything and the car ran fine for about three or four months.
>
> Yesterday he called me because the car wouldn't start again. Again we
> pulled the distributor cap to find that the new rotor button and contacts

on
> the cap were corroded. Though not as bad as the first time. Still they
> were corroded bad enough that the car wouldn't start.
>
> Why would these parts corrode that fast? We do live in a high-humidity
> environment, but his is the only example of this I've seen. Is there

some
> sort of seal on the distributor cap that we missed? There wasn't one on

it
> to begin with, but that could have been ham-fisted by a previous owner.
>
> This one is real a head scratcher for me. Any suggestions are appreciated
> or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:42 pm
D'Funk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 civic corrosion of rotor button

Thanks, I thought there might have been something like that. I'm sure the
cap was a cheap aftermarket unit and it may not have had one. I'll check
that and see. He'll be calling me again soon I'm sure.

Thanks a million

Mike


"Joseph Wind" <jw@neoplastic.ph.invalid> wrote in message
news:g2wre.13154$gL4.11382@trnddc07...
> There is an O-ring that fits into the channel of the distributor cap. The
> distributor cap should have come with one.
>
> "Mike" <houchins_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ADpre.95810$8S5.61313@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I was helping a friend recently with his 91 civic sedan (D15 engine code
>> I
>> think). The car wouldn't start so we went through the ususal things and
>> finally arrived at the distributor. The contacts were corroded and we
>> cleaned them as a temporary fix. Car started right up. I suggested he
>> repalce the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button as a precaution. The cap

> and
>> rotor contacts were badly corroded. A couple of days later he had

> replaced
>> everything and the car ran fine for about three or four months.
>>
>> Yesterday he called me because the car wouldn't start again. Again we
>> pulled the distributor cap to find that the new rotor button and contacts

> on
>> the cap were corroded. Though not as bad as the first time. Still they
>> were corroded bad enough that the car wouldn't start.
>>
>> Why would these parts corrode that fast? We do live in a high-humidity
>> environment, but his is the only example of this I've seen. Is there

> some
>> sort of seal on the distributor cap that we missed? There wasn't one on

> it
>> to begin with, but that could have been ham-fisted by a previous owner.
>>
>> This one is real a head scratcher for me. Any suggestions are
>> appreciated
>> or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2005, 07:51 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 civic corrosion of rotor button

"D'Funk" <houchins_m@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:ZMKre.123215$J25.98680@bignews6.bellsouth.net :


Bad boy, D'Funk.

You have posted two separate messages to two separate groups with the same
subject. (rec.autos.makers.honda is the other one)

Not only can neither side see how the thread has evolved, but posters in
one can't be educated by messages in the other, and cannot correct mistakes
in the other messages.

You should have cross-posted.



--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2005, 09:08 pm
D'Funk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 91 civic corrosion of rotor button

Sorry, Sometimes people in other groups get mad if you do cross post. They
say it attracts spammers. Next time I'll cross post it for auto
groups....<blush>.


"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9675D4361E1A3tegger@207.14.113.17...
> "D'Funk" <houchins_m@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:ZMKre.123215$J25.98680@bignews6.bellsouth.net :
>
>
> Bad boy, D'Funk.
>
> You have posted two separate messages to two separate groups with the same
> subject. (rec.autos.makers.honda is the other one)
>
> Not only can neither side see how the thread has evolved, but posters in
> one can't be educated by messages in the other, and cannot correct
> mistakes
> in the other messages.
>
> You should have cross-posted.
>
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99' Accord Brake Squeak - just replaced brakes, rotor and rotor again RvBTucker@gmail.com Honda 3 7 20 Jul 2005 09:15 pm
91 Civic corrosion of rotor button D'Funk Honda 3 7 14 Jun 2005 10:27 pm
91 civic corrosion of rotor button Mike Honda 1 0 13 Jun 2005 07:40 pm
battery corrosion on 95 Civic rjmoffatt@accesscomm.ca Honda 3 5 08 May 2005 08:15 am
Corrosion on Civic rear disk brakes? Ian Maione Honda 3 9 10 Jan 2004 05:56 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.