Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default ATF overfill

I just brought home my Accord from a reg. maintenance where the ATF was
also replaced and when I checked the ATF level right after stopping the
engine (still hot!), I found the fluid level about a 1/4 inch above the
top mark. I'm pretty pissed by it but I wonder if this is an ignorable
issue or I should go back and get it fixed. I wish there was an easy way
to remove the excess fluid by myself but I don't know of any.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2010, 05:54 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill

In article <i7989f$72b$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Cameo" <cameo@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I just brought home my Accord from a reg. maintenance where the ATF was
> also replaced and when I checked the ATF level right after stopping the
> engine (still hot!), I found the fluid level about a 1/4 inch above the
> top mark. I'm pretty pissed by it but I wonder if this is an ignorable
> issue or I should go back and get it fixed.


Nothing should be ignored--if they did it wrong, they should make it
right.

This could be an honest mistake, or they could be incompetent.

Regardless, you know it's wrong--you don't need to ask us for permission
to go back and make them make it right. That's why you went to them in
the first place.


> I wish there was an easy way
> to remove the excess fluid by myself but I don't know of any.


You should never, ever feel like you have the responsibility to fix what
you paid to have done right the first time.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:34 am
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill


"Cameo" <cameo@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:i7989f$72b$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>I just brought home my Accord from a reg. maintenance where the ATF was
>also replaced and when I checked the ATF level right after stopping the
>engine (still hot!), I found the fluid level about a 1/4 inch above the top
>mark. I'm pretty pissed by it but I wonder if this is an ignorable issue or
>I should go back and get it fixed. I wish there was an easy way to remove
>the excess fluid by myself but I don't know of any.


Did you check the fluid per the Owner's Guide. I've never dealt with a Honda
automatic, but all the other automatics I am familar with call for checking
the fluid with the transmission hot in park with the engine IDLING. You
indicated you stopped the engine. This would definitely lead to a high
reading on the dipstick since the fluid would drain back into the pan. Be
sure you are measuring the fluid correctly! See your owners manual!

Ed


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2010, 02:03 pm
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill

"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Did you check the fluid per the Owner's Guide. I've never dealt with a
> Honda automatic, but all the other automatics I am familar with call
> for checking the fluid with the transmission hot in park with the
> engine IDLING. You indicated you stopped the engine. This would
> definitely lead to a high reading on the dipstick since the fluid
> would drain back into the pan. Be sure you are measuring the fluid
> correctly! See your owners manual!


Ed, I did it per Owner's Manual but that does not say that the ATF
should be checked with engine IDLING. Here is the relevant section from
the manual:

Check the fluid level with the engine
at normal operating temperature.

1. Park the car on level ground. Shut
off the engine.

2. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop)
from the transmission and wipe it
with a clean cloth.

3. Insert the dipstick into the
transmission.

4. Remove the dipstick and check
the fluid level. It should be
between the upper and lower
marks.

5. If the level is below the lower
mark, add fluid into the tube to
bring it to the upper mark. Use
Honda Premium Formula Automatic
Transmission Fluid or an
equivalent DEXRONŽ II Automatic
Transmission Fluid (ATF)
only.

6. Insert the dipstick back in the
transmission. Make sure the notch
fits in the dipstick guide and the
dipstick is down all the way.

-----------------------------------------------

As you see in step 1: "Shot off the engine."

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2010, 04:12 pm
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill


"Cameo" <cameo@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:i7as01$dft$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> "C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Did you check the fluid per the Owner's Guide. I've never dealt with a
>> Honda automatic, but all the other automatics I am familar with call for
>> checking the fluid with the transmission hot in park with the engine
>> IDLING. You indicated you stopped the engine. This would definitely lead
>> to a high reading on the dipstick since the fluid would drain back into
>> the pan. Be sure you are measuring the fluid correctly! See your owners
>> manual!

>
> Ed, I did it per Owner's Manual but that does not say that the ATF should
> be checked with engine IDLING. Here is the relevant section from the
> manual:
>
> Check the fluid level with the engine
> at normal operating temperature.
>
> 1. Park the car on level ground. Shut
> off the engine.
>
> 2. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop)
> from the transmission and wipe it
> with a clean cloth.
>
> 3. Insert the dipstick into the
> transmission.
>
> 4. Remove the dipstick and check
> the fluid level. It should be
> between the upper and lower
> marks.
>
> 5. If the level is below the lower
> mark, add fluid into the tube to
> bring it to the upper mark. Use
> Honda Premium Formula Automatic
> Transmission Fluid or an
> equivalent DEXRONŽ II Automatic
> Transmission Fluid (ATF)
> only.
>
> 6. Insert the dipstick back in the
> transmission. Make sure the notch
> fits in the dipstick guide and the
> dipstick is down all the way.
>
> -----------------------------------------------
>
> As you see in step 1: "Shot off the engine."


As I mentioned, I've never actually done anything with a Honda Automatic
(both of the Hondas I have been associated with were manuals). My Nissan,
Fords, and Mazda all say to check it with the engine idling in park. I
wasn't sure of the process Honda used, I wanted to point out the
importance of following the correct procedure.

If you have access to a fluid pump it is relatively easy to snake a tube
down the dip stick hole and suck out a small amount of fluid. But since you
paid for a fluid change, I'd suggest that you take it back to the shop that
did the work and let them handle it.

Ed


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Sep 2010, 06:36 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill

"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in
news:i7b3fs$cpv$1@news.eternal-september.org:


>
> As I mentioned, I've never actually done anything with a Honda
> Automatic (both of the Hondas I have been associated with were
> manuals). My Nissan, Fords, and Mazda all say to check it with the
> engine idling in park. I wasn't sure of the process Honda used, I
> wanted to point out the importance of following the correct procedure.




OP did it correctly. Honda automatics are a bit weird: They require to have
the fluid level checked with engine hot, and within one minute of shutting
it off.




--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22 Sep 2010, 12:46 am
Cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill

"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:i7b3fs$cpv$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> As I mentioned, I've never actually done anything with a Honda
> Automatic (both of the Hondas I have been associated with were
> manuals). My Nissan, Fords, and Mazda all say to check it with the
> engine idling in park. I wasn't sure of the process Honda used, I
> wanted to point out the importance of following the correct procedure.
>
> If you have access to a fluid pump it is relatively easy to snake a
> tube down the dip stick hole and suck out a small amount of fluid. But
> since you paid for a fluid change, I'd suggest that you take it back
> to the shop that did the work and let them handle it.


And that's exactly what I did. I drove back to the shop and the mechanic
took care of it. So now the ATF level is at the top mark.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22 Sep 2010, 06:07 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ATF overfill

In article <i7a8kq$q61$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
"C. E. White" <cewhite3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Did you check the fluid per the Owner's Guide. I've never dealt with a Honda
> automatic, but all the other automatics I am familar with call for checking
> the fluid with the transmission hot in park with the engine IDLING.


My 02 Odyssey specifies it with the engine off.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accord Oil Overfill jhenry9585 Honda Technical 0 08 Jul 2008 06:22 pm
what happen when you overfill a honda transmission? Bobcat Honda Technical 5 27 Sep 2007 01:04 pm
Overfill fuel. tjiamb Honda 2 4 13 Aug 2004 05:57 pm
Overfill fuel. tjiamb Honda 3 3 13 Aug 2004 05:57 pm
what happens if radiator/overfill tank is overfilled? keltronic Honda 3 4 13 Nov 2003 09:32 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.