Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Aug 2010, 10:09 am
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

91 Acura , Integra GS. Probably the most popular model on this group,
thanks mainly to Tegger.

The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
seriously thinking of putting it to rest.

The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
typical odor of brakes over heating. The 2 front disk assemblies
could not be touched. Very hot
I removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
the disk was easy to turn.

Questions:
a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, coincidence?

b) Admitting the possibility that air would expand when hot and move
the pistons closer to the disks.I have tried to open the bleeder but I
was afraid to brake the nipple. It was frozen.

c) A common element to the 2 sides is the ABS, the master cylinder and
the hand brake if it operates the front wheels.

Except for the Air Condition the car runs well but also needs tires
and in Quebec one must buy 8 ( Winter and Summer tires) .
I am prepared to spend no more than about $300 .
During my 80 years of existence and more than a dozen cars, this one
was by far the most reliable one.

Thanks for the help

John
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Aug 2010, 01:01 pm
finding Z zero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Aug 11, 10:09*am, John <Y...@you.com> wrote:
> 91 Acura , Integra GS. *Probably the most popular model on this group,
> thanks mainly to Tegger.
>
> The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
> seriously thinking of putting it to rest.
>
> The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
> typical odor of brakes over heating. *The 2 front disk assemblies
> could not be touched. Very hot
> I *removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
> the disk was easy to turn.
>
> Questions:
> a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
> appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, *coincidence?
>
> b) *Admitting the possibility that air would expand when hot and move
> the pistons closer to the disks.I have tried to open the bleeder but I
> was afraid to brake the nipple. It was frozen.
>
> c) A common element to the 2 sides is the ABS, the master cylinder and
> the hand brake if it operates the front wheels.
>
> Except for the Air Condition the car runs well but also needs tires
> and in Quebec one must buy 8 ( Winter and Summer tires) .
> I am prepared to spend no more than about $300 .
> During my 80 years of existence and more than a dozen cars, this one
> was by far the most reliable one.
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> John


What's an 80 yr old doing in an Integra GS? OK I'm 66 but was only 47
when I bought it...lol...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2010, 05:46 pm
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:01:12 -0700 (PDT), finding Z zero
<julianstan@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 11, 10:09*am, John <Y...@you.com> wrote:
>> 91 Acura , Integra GS. *Probably the most popular model on this group,
>> thanks mainly to Tegger.
>>
>> The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
>> seriously thinking of putting it to rest.
>>
>> The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
>> typical odor of brakes over heating. *The 2 front disk assemblies
>> could not be touched. Very hot
>> I *removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
>> the disk was easy to turn.
>>
>> Questions:
>> a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
>> appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, *coincidence?
>>
>> b) *Admitting the possibility that air would expand when hot and move
>> the pistons closer to the disks.I have tried to open the bleeder but I
>> was afraid to brake the nipple. It was frozen.
>>
>> c) A common element to the 2 sides is the ABS, the master cylinder and
>> the hand brake if it operates the front wheels.
>>
>> Except for the Air Condition the car runs well but also needs tires
>> and in Quebec one must buy 8 ( Winter and Summer tires) .
>> I am prepared to spend no more than about $300 .
>> During my 80 years of existence and more than a dozen cars, this one
>> was by far the most reliable one.
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>>
>> John

>
>What's an 80 yr old doing in an Integra GS? OK I'm 66 but was only 47
>when I bought it...lol...


Well, to be more precise, I am 81.8 and sold my Jag E3 that I got new
in 1973 for about 11k and sold it for 30k. According to my doctor I
should be good to 120 so, presently I am middle age.
I keep the Integra GS for reliability and when I need 4 seats and
drive a 2 seat MB500SL for comfort and show off.

Have I satisfied your curiosity?

John
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2010, 06:26 pm
finding Z zero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Aug 12, 5:46*pm, John <Y...@you.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:01:12 -0700 (PDT), finding Z zero
>


>
> Have I satisfied your curiosity?


Would you like to adopt me and my family?

I paid 15.3K for the GS Integra in 1991 and sold it 2 days ago for
$500.
My new car is a 2001 Prelude (bought new), and I bought a 1981 650XS
Yamaha Special 3 yrs ago to satiate my sports car desire. Cheers!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2010, 07:38 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

John <Ya@you.com> wrote in news:skb566l20bviicfs9lj1s4ieak10tg22l8@4ax.com:

> 91 Acura , Integra GS. Probably the most popular model on this group,
> thanks mainly to Tegger.
>
> The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
> seriously thinking of putting it to rest.
>
> The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
> typical odor of brakes over heating. The 2 front disk assemblies
> could not be touched. Very hot
> I removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
> the disk was easy to turn.
>
> Questions:
> a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
> appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, coincidence?




They usually rust in tandem, but one usually does gets odoriferous before
the other. If you had an infrared thermometer ($80 at NAPA, cheaper at
Crappy Tire), you would see the difference in temperature.

Simple test: First drive of the day, driving normally, get out at the first
stop signal or sign and feel the wheel nuts with your fingertips. If you
can't tell one wheel from the other, go to the next stop and check again.
Eventually, checking very frequently, you should be able to detect that one
disc is getting noticeably hotter than the other. And that's the smelly
one. Do not brake too gently, as too-gentle braking activates only one of
the two diagonal circuits.



> During my 80 years of existence



You're doing well! My mother is 83-and-a-half. She hasn't driven a car in
20 years, and she's in no physical shape to be able to do that anymore, no
matter what. We've spent a lot of time in the hospital in the last six
months...



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2010, 09:46 pm
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:38:23 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>John <Ya@you.com> wrote in news:skb566l20bviicfs9lj1s4ieak10tg22l8@4ax.com:
>
>> 91 Acura , Integra GS. Probably the most popular model on this group,
>> thanks mainly to Tegger.
>>
>> The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
>> seriously thinking of putting it to rest.
>>
>> The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
>> typical odor of brakes over heating. The 2 front disk assemblies
>> could not be touched. Very hot
>> I removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
>> the disk was easy to turn.
>>
>> Questions:
>> a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
>> appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, coincidence?

>
>
>
>They usually rust in tandem, but one usually does gets odoriferous before
>the other. If you had an infrared thermometer ($80 at NAPA, cheaper at
>Crappy Tire), you would see the difference in temperature.
>
>Simple test: First drive of the day, driving normally, get out at the first
>stop signal or sign and feel the wheel nuts with your fingertips. If you
>can't tell one wheel from the other, go to the next stop and check again.
>Eventually, checking very frequently, you should be able to detect that one
>disc is getting noticeably hotter than the other. And that's the smelly
>one. Do not brake too gently, as too-gentle braking activates only one of
>the two diagonal circuits.
>
>
>
>> During my 80 years of existence

>
>
>You're doing well! My mother is 83-and-a-half. She hasn't driven a car in
>20 years, and she's in no physical shape to be able to do that anymore, no
>matter what. We've spent a lot of time in the hospital in the last six
>months...


Tegger

I am doing what you suggested but I get the impression that the heat
is decreasing. Only short trips of no more than 3 miles. The same heat
from both sides
When the car is parked over-night the pads are not blocking the
wheels. In the morning, on a horizontal brick drive way, when I place
the car in neutral, it may move about an inch or so.

I think that I am going to wait a few weeks and see the result . After
all, what can I lose? I may have to do a complete brake job. About a
$1k but this time I am going to the dealer. I was not pleased with my
last brake work . They replaced the calipers, the disks and the pads
(so they say) but after that, every time I applied the brakes the
car move to the left. With time the problem fix itself.

I will let you know is anything happens.

About your mother, I hope everything turns to your satisfaction. I
remember telling the doctor that I was old when I was 60 . Not any
more, he said, now you are middle age.
I have been looking after my youngest son (43) that has schizophrenia.
A perfect human being other wise.Fortunately he was born in a country
(Canada) that takes good care of the ones that can't help them self.
Except for my time (and lots of it) never spent a cent for the medical
and other services provided. He actually has improved with age. I use
to say that given another 200 years and he will be alright.

Regards







A
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2010, 05:28 pm
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:46:25 -0400, John <Ya@you.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:38:23 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
>wrote:
>
>>John <Ya@you.com> wrote in news:skb566l20bviicfs9lj1s4ieak10tg22l8@4ax.com:
>>
>>> 91 Acura , Integra GS. Probably the most popular model on this group,
>>> thanks mainly to Tegger.
>>>
>>> The car has no visible rust and less than 100 k miles but I am
>>> seriously thinking of putting it to rest.
>>>
>>> The other day, after about 5 miles on the highway , I smelled the
>>> typical odor of brakes over heating. The 2 front disk assemblies
>>> could not be touched. Very hot
>>> I removed one front wheel and found that the pads are touching but
>>> the disk was easy to turn.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> a) If the pistons don't go back due to rust, why does the problem
>>> appears on the 2 front wheels at the same time, coincidence?

>>
>>
>>
>>They usually rust in tandem, but one usually does gets odoriferous before
>>the other. If you had an infrared thermometer ($80 at NAPA, cheaper at
>>Crappy Tire), you would see the difference in temperature.
>>
>>Simple test: First drive of the day, driving normally, get out at the first
>>stop signal or sign and feel the wheel nuts with your fingertips. If you
>>can't tell one wheel from the other, go to the next stop and check again.
>>Eventually, checking very frequently, you should be able to detect that one
>>disc is getting noticeably hotter than the other. And that's the smelly
>>one. Do not brake too gently, as too-gentle braking activates only one of
>>the two diagonal circuits.
>>
>>
>>
>>> During my 80 years of existence

>>
>>
>>You're doing well! My mother is 83-and-a-half. She hasn't driven a car in
>>20 years, and she's in no physical shape to be able to do that anymore, no
>>matter what. We've spent a lot of time in the hospital in the last six
>>months...

>
>Tegger
>
>I am doing what you suggested but I get the impression that the heat
>is decreasing. Only short trips of no more than 3 miles. The same heat
>from both sides
>When the car is parked over-night the pads are not blocking the
>wheels. In the morning, on a horizontal brick drive way, when I place
>the car in neutral, it may move about an inch or so.
>
>I think that I am going to wait a few weeks and see the result . After
>all, what can I lose? I may have to do a complete brake job. About a
>$1k but this time I am going to the dealer. I was not pleased with my
>last brake work . They replaced the calipers, the disks and the pads
>(so they say) but after that, every time I applied the brakes the
>car move to the left. With time the problem fix itself.
>
>I will let you know is anything happens.




Let me update my novel.
Since it is very easy to replace the front brake pads, that is what I
did.
It isn't a perfect repair but it moved the cylinder's to a previous
position and it solve temporarily the problem . No more overheating.

Now I have another problem . The shift gear leaver it's so lose that
sometimes I can't fined the proper gear location. Since the car has
less then 100 k miles I think I am going to get the 2 rubber bushings
replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2010, 07:38 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

John <Ya@you.com> wrote in
news2abe6pdlm9teae65a3g3h4sh89vm3di4i@4ax.com:


>
>
>
> Let me update my novel.



Thanks for the update. Many people never bother.



> Since it is very easy to replace the front brake pads, that is what I
> did.
> It isn't a perfect repair but it moved the cylinder's to a previous
> position and it solve temporarily the problem . No more overheating.




As you've probably guessed, it's likely because the pistons have been
pushed-in to the point where the gummed/corroded part is now inboard of the
seal. As the new pads wear, the pistons will get sticky again.



>
> Now I have another problem . The shift gear leaver it's so lose that
> sometimes I can't fined the proper gear location. Since the car has
> less then 100 k miles I think I am going to get the 2 rubber bushings
> replaced.




The kit's about $50-60. This job is an absolutely disgusting pig to do,
even more so if you have an aftermarket cat installed.

If you've never done it before, you're in for a very unpleasant few hours.
To do it right, you need to remove the plastic cups from the shift lever
and sand the cylindrical receiver for those cups. Removal of the cups is
the tough part.

Then again, you might get lucky, and all that's wrong is the nut has backed
off. Try snugging the nut first.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2010, 03:44 pm
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 00:38:20 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>John <Ya@you.com> wrote in
>news2abe6pdlm9teae65a3g3h4sh89vm3di4i@4ax.com :
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Let me update my novel.

>
>
>Thanks for the update. Many people never bother.
>
>
>
>> Since it is very easy to replace the front brake pads, that is what I
>> did.
>> It isn't a perfect repair but it moved the cylinder's to a previous
>> position and it solve temporarily the problem . No more overheating.

>
>
>
>As you've probably guessed, it's likely because the pistons have been
>pushed-in to the point where the gummed/corroded part is now inboard of the
>seal. As the new pads wear, the pistons will get sticky again.
>
>
>
>>
>> Now I have another problem . The shift gear leaver it's so lose that
>> sometimes I can't fined the proper gear location. Since the car has
>> less then 100 k miles I think I am going to get the 2 rubber bushings
>> replaced.

>
>
>
>The kit's about $50-60. This job is an absolutely disgusting pig to do,
>even more so if you have an aftermarket cat installed.
>
>If you've never done it before, you're in for a very unpleasant few hours.
>To do it right, you need to remove the plastic cups from the shift lever
>and sand the cylindrical receiver for those cups. Removal of the cups is
>the tough part.
>
>Then again, you might get lucky, and all that's wrong is the nut has backed
>off. Try snugging the nut first.


Your message dissipated any ambition that I had for doing the work
myself.
I am just back from the local garage that order the required parts and
do the work next Wednesday. The total cost will be about $300
Once more many thanks

John
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2010, 04:44 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra 91 GS Smelled the typical odor of brakes over heating

John <Ya@you.com> wrote in
news:ramde6dobai012kp02hsf5l1d9v1t6rt2m@4ax.com:


>
> Your message dissipated any ambition that I had for doing the work
> myself.
> I am just back from the local garage that order the required parts and
> do the work next Wednesday. The total cost will be about $300
> Once more many thanks
>




Three hundred bucks for changing the shifter bushings? A pro can do the job
in about an hour without taking anything apart other than dropping the heat
shield for better access to the shifter. I'd say $150-200 would be more
reasonable.

Again, don't discount the possibility the nut has backed-off and the
shifter is just loose. The nut can and does back-off on its own.
Retightening it takes minutes and costs nearly zero.

If you're having that much trouble finding a gear, there's a good chance
the nut is just loose. Worn bushings on their own don't usually make the
lever THAT sloppy.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
integra over heating problem? lolzimjapanese Acura Technical 4 01 Oct 2008 12:31 am
Acura Integra 1995 Heating/AC suddenly doesn't work taikai Acura Technical 0 11 Jan 2008 10:03 am
Turned on headlights, smelled something burning, and noticed that the cooling fan fuse had melted.? Floyd D. Honda Technical 2 21 Aug 2007 03:34 am
over heating on 94 integra rs automatic INTEGRA94RS Honda 3 12 21 Nov 2005 04:32 am
Weird Heating problem 94 Integra Delpie Honda 3 2 22 Jan 2005 11:29 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.