Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:23 pm
finding z0
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

AC's been dead for several years. horn is dead, one frozen caliper and
a ball joint about to go. Any takers? Never burned a drop of oil. Did
I mention the shifter (5 spd) is really hard to move (bushings in the
linkage need changing).
My boat car. It's been sittiing in the yard for 2 months (since it got
hot and sticky) and when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I
trickle/float charged it back to health over several days with the
hood open, sometimes fully, sometimes almost closed, and sometimes
somewhere between the two. Yes it rained several times and hard. Now I
got battery, but smoke coming from the hood and the car won't start or
stay running. I think a belt is spinning but not turning its module
and so getting hot and smoking. I tried to get my hand to the belt I
thought might be the one to feel if it was hot, but couldn't get my
hand in there. I had no assistant. From where the smoke was coming, it
appears to be on the driver's side 2/3's of the way towards the
radiator (from the firewall). I checked the oil and it was low, but
the puppy is on an incline withn the front end up so I didn't aded
add'l oil. If I could get a mallet to whatever is not moving then
maybe it would start? If it starts I may just give it to the local
public radio station as a donation and move the trailer hitch to my
wife's 1998 Accord when she upgrades and if I can find some metal to
attach it to. Any non humorous suggestions here? What the hell, humor
or wit is always welcome. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 05:26 pm
Dean Dark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), finding z0
<julianstan@gmail.com> wrote:

>1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.


<snip tales of woe>

The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is
between $300 and $400.

IMHFO, your best bet is to donate it to a registered charity, and be
economical with the truth about its condition when it's tax time. Take
a $700 or so deduction. That way, you'll get $200 or $250 for it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:06 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

finding z0 <julianstan@gmail.com> wrote in news:881d5ed5-26b5-4973-be2a-
917b8b83d93b@x13g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

> 1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.
>
> AC's been dead for several years. horn is dead,




Most likely corrosion on the flat brass strip that goes to the contact
ring behind the steering wheel. Scrub that strip clean and you'll
probably find the horn comes back.



> one frozen caliper




If one is frozen, the other is close behind. Luckily, they are all easy
fixes. I just rebuilt all 4 of mine.



> and a ball joint about to go.




Easy replacement.



> Any takers?




If I was retired and you were close by, I'd snap it up.



> Never burned a drop of oil. Did
> I mention the shifter (5 spd) is really hard to move (bushings in the
> linkage need changing).




That's a fiddle, especially with an aftermarket cat in the way.



> My boat car. It's been sittiing in the yard for 2 months (since it got
> hot and sticky) and when I tried to start it the battery was dead. I
> trickle/float charged it back to health over several days with the
> hood open, sometimes fully, sometimes almost closed, and sometimes
> somewhere between the two. Yes it rained several times and hard. Now I
> got battery, but smoke coming from the hood and the car won't start or
> stay running. I think a belt is spinning but not turning its module
> and so getting hot and smoking. I tried to get my hand to the belt I
> thought might be the one to feel if it was hot, but couldn't get my
> hand in there. I had no assistant. From where the smoke was coming, it
> appears to be on the driver's side 2/3's of the way towards the
> radiator (from the firewall).




That would be a seized alternator, most likely. Loosen the belt to that,
and see if the alternator pulley spins by hand. If not, lucky you. You
need to pull the left driveshaft to replace the alternator.



> I checked the oil and it was low, but
> the puppy is on an incline withn the front end up so I didn't aded
> add'l oil. If I could get a mallet to whatever is not moving then
> maybe it would start? If it starts I may just give it to the local
> public radio station as a donation and move the trailer hitch to my
> wife's 1998 Accord when she upgrades and if I can find some metal to
> attach it to. Any non humorous suggestions here? What the hell, humor
> or wit is always welcome. Cheers
>



I like the donation idea.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:11 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

Dean Dark <dmdrake@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote in
news:qvmu46968mgjhtp0hrdsb4739kqsispda8@4ax.com:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), finding z0
> <julianstan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

>
> <snip tales of woe>
>
> The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is
> between $300 and $400.




Get somebody to crash into you and it's worth Basic Transportation to the
insurance company, or close to $2,000.

I live in simulated terror of anybody smacking /my/ '91 Teg. It wouldn't
take much more than a love-tap to total it. And I don't even have any rust.

348,000 miles and counting. I need to put a new odometer pic up on my
site...



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:26 pm
Dean Dark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:11:16 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>Dean Dark <dmdrake@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote in
>news:qvmu46968mgjhtp0hrdsb4739kqsispda8@4ax.com :
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), finding z0
>> <julianstan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

>>
>> <snip tales of woe>
>>
>> The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is
>> between $300 and $400.

>
>Get somebody to crash into you and it's worth Basic Transportation to the
>insurance company, or close to $2,000.


Sure, but the OP's car is not basic transportation. By his own
admission it's non-running and pretty much a basket case that probably
isn't worth anyone's time, effort or money to get back to being "basic
transportation." I'm not sure what an insurance company would make of
an obvious non-runner somehow getting creamed by a truck. It all
sounds very iffy, and I think it's a bad idea. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:48 pm
finding Z zero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

Tegger, where do you live again? Is it downhill from Indianapolis?

On Jul 27, 8:11*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> Dean Dark <dmdr...@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote innews:qvmu46968mgjhtp0hrdsb4739kqsispda8@4ax.com:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), finding z0
> > <julians...@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> >>1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

>
> > <snip tales of woe>

>
> > The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is
> > between $300 and $400.

>
> Get somebody to crash into you and it's worth Basic Transportation to the
> insurance company, or close to $2,000.
>
> I live in simulated terror of anybody smacking /my/ '91 Teg. It wouldn't
> take much more than a love-tap to total it. And I don't even have any rust.
>
> 348,000 miles and counting. I need to put a new odometer pic up on my
> site...
>
> --
> Tegger


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:49 pm
finding Z zero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

On Jul 27, 6:26*pm, Dean Dark <dmdr...@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:23:08 -0700 (PDT), finding z0
>
> <julians...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >1991 Integra 165K miles, bought it new.

>
> <snip tales of woe>
>
> The book value (US) of a mid-range Integra in rough condition is
> between $300 and $400.
>
> IMHFO, your best bet is to donate it to a registered charity, and be
> economical with the truth about its condition when it's tax time. Take
> a $700 or so deduction. *That way, you'll get $200 or $250 for it.


Yeah, but the battery is all charged. That's gotta be worth something.
BTW, my basic transportation is my 2001 Prelude, bought new. That's my
new car! And my 1981 Yamaha XS650 (bought 2 yrs. ago)....which has
been sitting around alot as well, but in the gaah rohge.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 09:37 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

finding Z zero <julianstan@gmail.com> wrote in
news:78346a1f-ebe3-4e3a-afd3-a3714265b413@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> Tegger, where do you live again? Is it downhill from Indianapolis?



Uphill. WAY uphill. It's so far uphill from you that border guards are
imposed along the way.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2010, 09:38 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

Dean Dark <dmdrake@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote in
news:tstu46dgrn1enbe3dedd8usmde909f81ml@4ax.com:

> It all
> sounds very iffy, and I think it's a bad idea. :-)



It was a thought. Not a good one, but a thought nevertheless.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jul 2010, 11:03 am
finding Z zero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: someone left the cake (Integra) out in the rain...

On Jul 27, 10:38*pm, Tegger <inva...@example.com> wrote:
> Dean Dark <dmdr...@gmailNOTTHISPART.com> wrote innews:tstu46dgrn1enbe3dedd8usmde909f81ml@4ax.com:
>
> > It all
> > sounds very iffy, and I think it's a bad idea. :-)

>
> It was a thought. Not a good one, but a thought nevertheless.
>
> --
> Tegger


After noticing my jib sail being somewhat moist (I keep it in the
hatchback), I moved the sail indoors and towelled out the puddles
under the hatchmat(?). Remember, this is my boat car.I propped up the
mat with a brick and supported the hatch open with the ice scrapper to
further dry out the rear. I've only replaced the lifters once in 19
years though they haven't worked for much of that time. Forgot to
close it last night and it poured. Why isn't there a rust hole where
you could use one? Now where'd I put that old ice pick......
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on left sunroof cracked in rain, 2008 Honda Accord Coupe? Spumonii Honda Technical 2 24 May 2010 12:46 pm
1994 Acura Integra LS - Transmission issue only in the rain?! dfa1977 Acura Technical 1 19 Nov 2009 11:16 am
Spoiler Alert: Rain, Rain Go Away! Downpour makes Petit Le Mans even more so skylight Acura News 0 28 Sep 2009 06:30 pm
Where can I find a cake tin to make a two layer cake? Caramieanne Acura Technical 8 03 Sep 2007 01:00 pm
Acura Cake? bosox2312 Acura Technical 3 22 Aug 2007 05:48 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.