Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 May 2010, 09:59 pm
shallowpool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

I reinstalled the cylinder head after a valve job and need to check
the ignition timing. I've read about some kind of "service
connection" that needs to be grounded. I suspect this turns off any
computer controlled advance, etc. But, I cannot find such a
connection. Does it exist on this car? Where might I find it?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 May 2010, 09:34 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

shallowpool <shallowpool@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a1044fb1-9c49-41d2-90e9-
d90d199c653f@v18g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

> I reinstalled the cylinder head after a valve job and need to check
> the ignition timing. I've read about some kind of "service
> connection" that needs to be grounded. I suspect this turns off any
> computer controlled advance, etc. But, I cannot find such a
> connection. Does it exist on this car? Where might I find it?



You do have a Service Check connector. I do not have the docs that would
tell me whether it's in the engine compartment atop the driver's shock
tower, or in the passenger compartment at the top of the passenger kick
panel.

Either way, it's a 2-pin connector, blue or gray. You short the pins with a
paper clip, then start the engine and do the timing thing.

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 May 2010, 12:54 pm
shallowpool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

On May 27, 9:34*pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> shallowpool <shallowp...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a1044fb1-9c49-41d2-90e9-
> d90d199c6...@v18g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I reinstalled the cylinder head after a valve job and need to check
> > the ignition timing. *I've read about some kind of "service
> > connection" that needs to be grounded. *I suspect this turns off any
> > computer controlled advance, etc. *But, I cannot find such a
> > connection. *Does it exist on this car? *Where might I find it?

>
> You do have a Service Check connector. I do not have the docs that would
> tell me whether it's in the engine compartment atop the driver's shock
> tower, or in the passenger compartment at the top of the passenger kick
> panel.
>
> Either way, it's a 2-pin connector, blue or gray. You short the pins witha
> paper clip, then start the engine and do the timing thing.
>
> --
> Tegger


Hmm, I've looked and looked and looked all over this car. The only
thing I've found is what looks like a two pin white connector that is
not connected to anything and has a black plug in it. It is neatly
secured to another harness by what looks like some sort of factory
tape. It looks like it's never been accessed. It is deep behind and
just above the glove box. I can see it through the seam between glove
box and dash using a flashlight. I'll need to remove the glove box to
get at it.

I can try shorting that connector and see if it affects the timing
when shorted. I'm just worried about shorting that connector if it's
not the right one.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2010, 12:52 pm
shallowpool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

On May 30, 12:54*pm, shallowpool <shallowp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 9:34*pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
>
>
>
> > shallowpool <shallowp...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a1044fb1-9c49-41d2-90e9-
> > d90d199c6...@v18g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

>
> > > I reinstalled the cylinder head after a valve job and need to check
> > > the ignition timing. *I've read about some kind of "service
> > > connection" that needs to be grounded. *I suspect this turns off any
> > > computer controlled advance, etc. *But, I cannot find such a
> > > connection. *Does it exist on this car? *Where might I find it?

>
> > You do have a Service Check connector. I do not have the docs that would
> > tell me whether it's in the engine compartment atop the driver's shock
> > tower, or in the passenger compartment at the top of the passenger kick
> > panel.

>
> > Either way, it's a 2-pin connector, blue or gray. You short the pins with a
> > paper clip, then start the engine and do the timing thing.

>
> > --
> > Tegger

>
> Hmm, I've looked and looked and looked all over this car. *The only
> thing I've found is what looks like a two pin white connector that is
> not connected to anything and has a black plug in it. *It is neatly
> secured to another harness by what looks like some sort of factory
> tape. *It looks like it's never been accessed. *It is deep behind and
> just above the glove box. *I can see it through the seam between glove
> box and dash using a flashlight. *I'll need to remove the glove box to
> get at it.
>
> I can try shorting that connector and see if it affects the timing
> when shorted. *I'm just worried about shorting that connector if it's
> not the right one.


Nope, that connector behind the glove box was not the correct one. It
was already shorted by some factory plug, and it was a white three way
connector, not a two way. I never did find the elusive "service
connector" to short out, so I gave up looking. Therefore, I had to
manually advance the timing a bit, because leaving the timing at the
designated mark without shorting that connector resulted in a spark
that was just too retarded. The car did not run well and exhibited
odd behaviors, like surging when put into gear from neutral.
Furthermore, without shorting the service connector I had to retard
the distributor to its physical travel limit to get it close to spec.
Even at that physical limit, it still read a degree or two too
advanced. There is no "bumping the distributor one tooth" on this car
because the distributor does not use a gear. The distributor can only
be installed with the rotor oriented one of two ways: The correct
way, or 180 degrees off.

So basically, I just reset the timing by using the old corrosion
imprints on the housing from one of the distributor lock down bolts
and washer. The car runs well there. Good reason to just mark the
housing with the cylinder head next time whenever removing the
distributor.

This new setting reads at least 10 degrees advanced from where it
should be if the elusive service connector had been shorted. But,
since the service connector was not shorted when measuring the timing
I'm guessing this "eyeball" setting is pretty close, particularly
because the car is much happier there. The car runs well now and
doesn't misbehave. I'm leaving the timing alone at this point unless
that elusive service connector reveals itself.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2010, 06:36 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

shallowpool <shallowpool@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:9bca5cfa-dd49-45e0-81d4-cd296caaaf1a@a30g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:


>
> Nope, that connector behind the glove box was not the correct one. It
> was already shorted by some factory plug, and it was a white three way
> connector, not a two way. I never did find the elusive "service
> connector" to short out, so I gave up looking.




And my docs don't go back that far for the 'Teg.

I don't know how much this car is worth to you, but I'm seeing
genuine Honda shop manuals for as low as $35 on eBay.
<http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=1988+inte gra+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories>

Knowing what I know now, I'd never own a Honda without also
owning a genuine Honda shop manual.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2014, 02:44 pm
peterhatch428@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

Just in case anyone else stumbles on this thread hoping for the answer; theconnector you are shorting is in the engine bay ("main") fuse box. You arejumping a blue / brown wire to a brown wire. Good luck. I found the full manual as a pdf on g1teg.org/Acura/88-89IntegraFSM.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timing on my 1988 integra? Tyler Acura Technical 4 07 Jan 2010 12:01 am
97 Accord timing adjustment 97accordse Honda Technical 0 12 Mar 2009 12:40 am
1988 Accord choke adjustment fesaner Honda Technical 0 02 Feb 2008 03:05 pm
DelSol B16A Ignition Timing out but Cam Belt Timing is correct fish Honda 2 12 12 Aug 2006 10:34 am
1988 Legend Rear Wheel Adjustment TonyDoll2 Acura 1 29 Jun 2003 07:36 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.