Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2009, 02:38 pm
Tom Simchak
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default TL Type S brake pads

Good afternoon--

I have a 2007 TL Type S. A couple of months ago I had to replace the
brake pads as the original ones were getting pretty thin...or so I was
told by the dealership. Car had 25K miles, and I do NOT drive it like
I'm in an auto-cross.

The car has Brembo brakes, and (so I was told by the dealership)
therefore only Brembo pads can be used on the car.

Just replacing the pads...no turning of rotors, was pretty durn pricey,
so...I'm trying to get so more facts and info at my disposal.

Is 25K miles right? Is the only place I can get replacement pad from Acura?

Info, comments, welcomed.


Tom S.
Houston, TX
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2009, 08:10 pm
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S brake pads


"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:Vaa0m.382$j84.122@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...
> Good afternoon--
>
> I have a 2007 TL Type S. A couple of months ago I had to replace the
> brake pads as the original ones were getting pretty thin...or so I was
> told by the dealership. Car had 25K miles, and I do NOT drive it like I'm
> in an auto-cross.
>
> The car has Brembo brakes, and (so I was told by the dealership) therefore
> only Brembo pads can be used on the car.
>
> Just replacing the pads...no turning of rotors, was pretty durn pricey,
> so...I'm trying to get so more facts and info at my disposal.
>
> Is 25K miles right? Is the only place I can get replacement pad from
> Acura?
>
> Info, comments, welcomed.
>
>
> Tom
> Houston, TX


I have no comparison per se. The 01 Prelude I had was still on its original
pads when I sold it at 67k miles. Our 03 Pilot went 75k on the originals
cost to replace $300 for front and rear with no rotor turning required and I
am still on my original pads on an 06 Accord coupe EX I4 at 52k. I guess
you pay a price when you drive an Acura along the lines of a BMW.
Fortunately, the Acura dealer in our area is over hour's drive away which
makes servicing a problem -- someone has to follow you to drop the car off
and then take you back etc. etc-- at least that was my experience with them
a few years ago. The Honda dealer is just down the street and had great
service. Makes the decision easy.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2009, 07:49 pm
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S brake pads

On Jun 23, 3:38*pm, Tom Simchak <not.to...@thankyou.org> wrote:
> Good afternoon--
>
> I have a 2007 TL Type S. *A couple of months ago I had to replace the
> brake pads as the original ones were getting pretty thin...or so I was
> told by the dealership. *Car had 25K miles, and I do NOT drive it like
> I'm in an auto-cross.
>
> The car has Brembo brakes, and (so I was told by the dealership)
> therefore only Brembo pads can be used on the car.
>
> Just replacing the pads...no turning of rotors, was pretty durn pricey,
> so...I'm trying to get so more facts and info at my disposal.
>
> Is 25K miles right? *Is the only place I can get replacement pad from Acura?


A Google seach would reveal numerous on-line parts stores that sell
Brembo parts. However, your car does NOT require Brembo pads. There
are lots of less expensive alternatives. Time to find an independent
mechanic, eh?

25K miles? Wow, that's not many miles for someone who pays attention
to their driving.

>
> Info, comments, welcomed.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2009, 09:46 am
Tom Simchak
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S brake pads

ACAR wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:38 pm, Tom Simchak <not.to...@thankyou.org> wrote:
>> Good afternoon--
>>
>> I have a 2007 TL Type S. A couple of months ago I had to replace the
>> brake pads as the original ones were getting pretty thin...or so I was
>> told by the dealership. Car had 25K miles, and I do NOT drive it like
>> I'm in an auto-cross.
>>
>> The car has Brembo brakes, and (so I was told by the dealership)
>> therefore only Brembo pads can be used on the car.
>>
>> Just replacing the pads...no turning of rotors, was pretty durn pricey,
>> so...I'm trying to get so more facts and info at my disposal.
>>
>> Is 25K miles right? Is the only place I can get replacement pad from Acura?

>
> A Google seach would reveal numerous on-line parts stores that sell
> Brembo parts. However, your car does NOT require Brembo pads. There
> are lots of less expensive alternatives. Time to find an independent
> mechanic, eh?
>
> 25K miles? Wow, that's not many miles for someone who pays attention
> to their driving.
>
>> Info, comments, welcomed.
>>
>> Tom S.
>> Houston, TX

>


Thanks for your comments. Finding a "good" mechanic is the issue.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2009, 01:15 pm
S/B 954RR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S brake pads


"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:Ia51m.2056$j84.1490@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...
> ACAR wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 3:38 pm, Tom Simchak <not.to...@thankyou.org> wrote:
>>> Good afternoon--
>>>
>>> I have a 2007 TL Type S. A couple of months ago I had to replace the
>>> brake pads as the original ones were getting pretty thin...or so I was
>>> told by the dealership. Car had 25K miles, and I do NOT drive it like
>>> I'm in an auto-cross.
>>>
>>> The car has Brembo brakes, and (so I was told by the dealership)
>>> therefore only Brembo pads can be used on the car.
>>>
>>> Just replacing the pads...no turning of rotors, was pretty durn pricey,
>>> so...I'm trying to get so more facts and info at my disposal.
>>>
>>> Is 25K miles right? Is the only place I can get replacement pad from
>>> Acura?

>>
>> A Google seach would reveal numerous on-line parts stores that sell
>> Brembo parts. However, your car does NOT require Brembo pads. There
>> are lots of less expensive alternatives. Time to find an independent
>> mechanic, eh?
>>
>> 25K miles? Wow, that's not many miles for someone who pays attention
>> to their driving.
>>
>>> Info, comments, welcomed.
>>>
>>> Tom S.
>>> Houston, TX

>>

>
> Thanks for your comments. Finding a "good" mechanic is the issue.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX



I called my dealership when I was nearby asking if they could take a look at
my brakes just because I was nearing 30K and was in the neighborhood. He
told me to call back at 50k. '06 TL non-S.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you please tell me how to change front brake pads on 57 civic type s d 2.2 please justgot2run Honda Technical 0 01 Jul 2008 03:31 pm
What type of brake pads are recommended for a 2004 Acura TL? Da_Kid19 Acura Technical 5 01 May 2008 04:46 pm
FS:OEM Aisin Clutch Kit & Advics Brake Pads and Cross Drilled Brake Rotor J2Performance For Sale / Want To Buy 0 15 Jan 2008 04:47 pm
Pros and cons of duralst brake pads vs honda brake pads? David B Honda Technical 2 27 Oct 2007 11:45 am
honda brake pads(disc brakes) vs. other premium pads Stempis Rhubank Honda 3 10 26 Oct 2003 08:38 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.