Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2008, 09:34 pm
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

Want to remove the half shaft to replace the inner CV boot. Need to remove
the front hub nut on the front wheel, right? This nut is held on the shaft
with what looks like a key slot with part of the nut is crimped into the key
slot keeping it from coming loose. Do you need a special tool to "uncrimped"
it or just grind this portion off and replace with a new nut? My breaker bar
wouldn't budge the nut either way so is the thread clockwise or counter
clockwise? I know its over 200 ft-lb, have to jump on it. Thanks in advance.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2008, 12:35 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

Frank wrote:
> Want to remove the half shaft to replace the inner CV boot. Need to remove
> the front hub nut on the front wheel, right? This nut is held on the shaft
> with what looks like a key slot with part of the nut is crimped into the key
> slot keeping it from coming loose. Do you need a special tool to "uncrimped"
> it or just grind this portion off and replace with a new nut? My breaker bar
> wouldn't budge the nut either way so is the thread clockwise or counter
> clockwise? I know its over 200 ft-lb, have to jump on it. Thanks in advance.


----------------------

I ground a chisel down narrower so I could 'uncrimp' the bashed-in part
of the nut. I wore rubber boots with steel shanks when jumping on the
breaker bar. No joy. Ended up going over to a tire shop and took along
my own socket. Boy took several seconds to loosen it with air tool. I
gave him $5.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2008, 05:52 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
news:546dnS8ElK4B_zPanZ2dnUVZ_oOnnZ2d@comcast.com:

> Want to remove the half shaft to replace the inner CV boot. Need to
> remove the front hub nut on the front wheel, right? This nut is held
> on the shaft with what looks like a key slot with part of the nut is
> crimped into the key slot keeping it from coming loose. Do you need a
> special tool to "uncrimped" it or just grind this portion off and
> replace with a new nut?




Do NOT "grind" ANYTHING, especially a highly-stressed component like a
driveshaft.

It's called a stake nut. Use a small screwdriver and hammer/bend the
stake out until the nut will turn.

Use a new nut when replacing. Grind the end round on an old chisel for
use in re-staking.


> My breaker bar wouldn't budge the nut either
> way so is the thread clockwise or counter clockwise? I know its over
> 200 ft-lb,




NO!

More like 134 lbs. Put "over 200" on it and you may snap the nose off
the driveshaft!



> have to jump on it. Thanks in advance.
>
>



Use a DeWalt DW-293 electric impact wrench. Rentable for about $30/day
from industrial supply houses or buy for $200 at Home Depot.

The DeWalt will spin it off with no effort at all. Wonderful tool. I
love mine.

You should have a shop manual before attempting repairs like this.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2008, 07:02 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

Tegger <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in news:Xns9A403B82DE6B1tegger@
207.14.116.130:

> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
> news:546dnS8ElK4B_zPanZ2dnUVZ_oOnnZ2d@comcast.com:




>> is the thread clockwise or counter clockwise?

>
>



It's a normal right-hand thread on both sides of the car, just like your
wheel nuts.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2008, 11:34 am
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9A403B82DE6B1tegger@207.14.116.130...
>" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
> news:546dnS8ElK4B_zPanZ2dnUVZ_oOnnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> Want to remove the half shaft to replace the inner CV boot. Need to
>> remove the front hub nut on the front wheel, right? This nut is held
>> on the shaft with what looks like a key slot with part of the nut is
>> crimped into the key slot keeping it from coming loose. Do you need a
>> special tool to "uncrimped" it or just grind this portion off and
>> replace with a new nut?

>
>
>
> Do NOT "grind" ANYTHING, especially a highly-stressed component like a
> driveshaft.
>
> It's called a stake nut. Use a small screwdriver and hammer/bend the
> stake out until the nut will turn.
>
> Use a new nut when replacing. Grind the end round on an old chisel for
> use in re-staking.
>
>
>> My breaker bar wouldn't budge the nut either
>> way so is the thread clockwise or counter clockwise? I know its over
>> 200 ft-lb,

>
>
>
> NO!
>
> More like 134 lbs. Put "over 200" on it and you may snap the nose off
> the driveshaft!
>


Didn't find torque specifications on the front from the Chilton manual, but
on the rear hub nut it has 206 lb-ft to which I presumed would be the same
for the front hub nut. I know, I need to get a factory manual. Ok, I use 134
lbs than.


>
>
>> have to jump on it. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>

>
>
> Use a DeWalt DW-293 electric impact wrench. Rentable for about $30/day
> from industrial supply houses or buy for $200 at Home Depot.
>
> The DeWalt will spin it off with no effort at all. Wonderful tool. I
> love mine.


Good to know, I'll check out the DW-293. Didn't know electric has this kind
of punch, my cheap one doesn't.

>
> You should have a shop manual before attempting repairs like this.
>
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2008, 12:06 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
news:U5GdneRbQeEWujLanZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@comcast.com:

>
> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message


>>
>> More like 134 lbs. Put "over 200" on it and you may snap the nose off
>> the driveshaft!
>>

>
> Didn't find torque specifications on the front from the Chilton
> manual, but on the rear hub nut it has 206 lb-ft to which I presumed
> would be the same for the front hub nut.




That figure is certainly wrong (par for the course
for Chilton/Haynes garbage).

I have a number of Integra factory manuals, and 134 ft lbs is specified for
front and rear spindle nuts in all of them.




> I know, I need to get a
> factory manual. Ok, I use 134 lbs than.




Better get a proper factory manual before you go monkeying around with
stuff like this. Chilton/Haynes are not trustworthy.


>
>
>>
>>
>>> have to jump on it. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> Use a DeWalt DW-293 electric impact wrench. Rentable for about
>> $30/day from industrial supply houses or buy for $200 at Home Depot.
>>
>> The DeWalt will spin it off with no effort at all. Wonderful tool. I
>> love mine.

>
> Good to know, I'll check out the DW-293. Didn't know electric has this
> kind of punch, my cheap one doesn't.




The DeWalt makes 325 ft-lbs of torque. I've yet to have mine fail to loosen
anything.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:44 am
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9A40476191A46tegger@207.14.116.130...
> Tegger <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in news:Xns9A403B82DE6B1tegger@
> 207.14.116.130:
>
>> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
>> news:546dnS8ElK4B_zPanZ2dnUVZ_oOnnZ2d@comcast.com:

>
>
>
>>> is the thread clockwise or counter clockwise?

>>
>>

>
>
> It's a normal right-hand thread on both sides of the car, just like your
> wheel nuts.
>


Thanks, got the stake nut out yesterday with an impact wrench. Just
wondering why this nut needs to be crimped down into the keyway, doesn't
seem like its going anywhere with 134 ft lb of torque and the wheel blocking
it from coming off.

Anyway all I could find in terms of the Acura OEM factory manual is in cd
disk form from ebay. Price seems too good for real, are those any good?





>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2008, 05:22 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

Frank wrote:

> Thanks, got the stake nut out yesterday with an impact wrench. Just
> wondering why this nut needs to be crimped down into the keyway, doesn't
> seem like its going anywhere with 134 ft lb of torque and the wheel blocking
> it from coming off.


------------------------

Your head would eventually come unscrewed if it was rotated for 400,000
miles.

The CD on eBay is an illegal copy. It's too good to be true.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2008, 07:18 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
news:IdSdncoOPv0X5i3anZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@comcast.com:


>>

>
> Thanks, got the stake nut out yesterday with an impact wrench. Just
> wondering why this nut needs to be crimped down into the keyway,
> doesn't seem like its going anywhere with 134 ft lb of torque and the
> wheel blocking it from coming off.




1) The wheel is not blocking the nut from coming off, the nut keeps the
wheel from coming off.
2) There has not ever been a single spindle nut ever made (past maybe 1920)
that was not held on with a cotter pin or stake. Time and vibration are
much, much more powerful than you could /ever/ imagine.

Do not fail to stake that nut in place properly.


>
> Anyway all I could find in terms of the Acura OEM factory manual is in
> cd disk form from ebay. Price seems too good for real, are those any
> good?
>



You can find those manuals online for free, if you know where to look.

Confirm with the (reputable) seller that is in fact the complete Honda/Helm
manual in PDF format and you should be fine.

If you find Honda parts catalogs online, that's a different story. Those
will have been stolen from a dealership somewhere.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:38 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1998 integra GSR, how do you remove the front hub nut?

Tegger <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in
news:Xns9A41C4158EF2tegger@207.14.116.130:

> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
> news:IdSdncoOPv0X5i3anZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>
>>>

>>
>> Thanks, got the stake nut out yesterday with an impact wrench. Just
>> wondering why this nut needs to be crimped down into the keyway,
>> doesn't seem like its going anywhere with 134 ft lb of torque and the
>> wheel blocking it from coming off.

>
>
>
> 1) The wheel is not blocking the nut from coming off, the nut keeps
> the wheel from coming off.




Eh, mistake.

The wheel does not block the nut from coming off. But if the nut does come
off the driveshaft can vibrate loose and cause a hell of a mess. The wheel
itself will stay on.




--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you remove front door speakers from a 96 Honda Accord? Tracie S Honda Technical 2 18 Oct 2007 05:42 pm
anyone know how to remove 90 honda accord front seats? vanessa o Honda Technical 3 05 Oct 2007 04:39 pm
how to remove the front bumper on a 03 civic? bigpopaart Honda Technical 7 03 Sep 2007 07:26 pm
How do I remove the front bumper to a 90 accord? saturday@gmail.com Honda 3 7 04 Jun 2006 05:12 pm
How to remove a front bumper cover for a 2001 Civic Curious Honda 3 0 26 Dec 2005 08:31 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.