Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2007, 07:36 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Is this a fuel pump relay problem?


My 94 GS-R sat in the parking lot all day in the sun and it was about
90 in Chicago today. So the inside was pretty toasty when I got in.
The engine fired right up and I shifted immediately into reverse.
Before I could let out the clutch, it died suddenly. Cranked and
cranked but wouldn't restart. Opened all the windows, sunroof,
checked the fuses, took a call on my cell phone. Must have been
opened up for 5 - 10 minutes when I tried it again. It cranked for
about 5 seconds and suddenly started. Ran fine all the way home with
the AC on.

Does this sound like a fuel pump relay? (Also called "main" relay?) I
am thinking the car started with residual pressure and died as soon as
the pressure dropped. The relay started working after it cooled down
a little, but it took 5 seconds to pressurize the system before the
engine started. Has anyone else had this experience?

If it is the relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
likely to keep working if it stays cool?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:51 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

Gordon McGrew <gRmEcMgOrVeEw@mindspring.com> wrote in
news:37j0839sq89uhfpbeidg35fi2rll6rg7j6@4ax.com:

>
> My 94 GS-R sat in the parking lot all day in the sun and it was about
> 90 in Chicago today. So the inside was pretty toasty when I got in.
> The engine fired right up and I shifted immediately into reverse.
> Before I could let out the clutch, it died suddenly. Cranked and
> cranked but wouldn't restart. Opened all the windows, sunroof,
> checked the fuses, took a call on my cell phone. Must have been
> opened up for 5 - 10 minutes when I tried it again. It cranked for
> about 5 seconds and suddenly started. Ran fine all the way home with
> the AC on.
>
> Does this sound like a fuel pump relay?


yes.
I'm surprised you had time to even get it into reverse before it died.

> (Also called "main" relay?) I
> am thinking the car started with residual pressure and died as soon as
> the pressure dropped. The relay started working after it cooled down
> a little, but it took 5 seconds to pressurize the system before the
> engine started. Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> If it is the relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
> likely to keep working if it stays cool?
>
>
>


www.tegger.com,see "main relay".
the relay on my 94 GSR failed like this 4-5 years ago,I resoldered it and
have had no problems since. BTW,it fails more frequently over time.
Also,resoldering it saves you $50 or more,and eliminates it as a trouble
source.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jun 2007, 11:49 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> My 94 GS-R sat in the parking lot all day in the sun and it was about
> 90 in Chicago today. So the inside was pretty toasty when I got in.
> The engine fired right up and I shifted immediately into reverse.
> Before I could let out the clutch, it died suddenly. Cranked and
> cranked but wouldn't restart. Opened all the windows, sunroof,
> checked the fuses, took a call on my cell phone. Must have been
> opened up for 5 - 10 minutes when I tried it again. It cranked for
> about 5 seconds and suddenly started. Ran fine all the way home with
> the AC on.
>
> Does this sound like a fuel pump relay? (Also called "main" relay?) I
> am thinking the car started with residual pressure and died as soon as
> the pressure dropped. The relay started working after it cooled down
> a little, but it took 5 seconds to pressurize the system before the
> engine started. Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> If it is the relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
> likely to keep working if it stays cool?
>
>

sounds like relay. don't monkey about - replace, or if you're cheap,
resolder.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2007, 11:30 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> My 94 GS-R sat in the parking lot all day in the sun and it was about
> 90 in Chicago today. So the inside was pretty toasty when I got in.
> The engine fired right up and I shifted immediately into reverse.
> Before I could let out the clutch, it died suddenly. Cranked and
> cranked but wouldn't restart. Opened all the windows, sunroof,
> checked the fuses, took a call on my cell phone. Must have been
> opened up for 5 - 10 minutes when I tried it again. It cranked for
> about 5 seconds and suddenly started. Ran fine all the way home with
> the AC on.
>
> Does this sound like a fuel pump relay? (Also called "main" relay?) I
> am thinking the car started with residual pressure and died as soon as
> the pressure dropped. The relay started working after it cooled down
> a little, but it took 5 seconds to pressurize the system before the
> engine started. Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> If it is the relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
> likely to keep working if it stays cool?

-------------------------

I think you've nailed it. Since you've never had trouble with it, it
will last forever if you just resolder it. A new one will have the same
flimsy solder on it that was on the original. Since we're talking about
a '94, you got good life out of it already. :-)

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2007, 07:31 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

Gordon McGrew wrote:

> If it is the (main) relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
> likely to keep working if it stays cool?


------------------------------------

It's never totally unreliable, since you can always start a Honda that
has a bad solder joint in the Main Relay by turning the key to position
II, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (North
America), and listen to the fuel pump run for three seconds. Honda will
start and vibration will usually keep the relay 'sparkin' to get you
wherever you need to go.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:25 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:31:39 -0600, motsco_ <motsco_@interbaun.com>
wrote:

>Gordon McGrew wrote:
>
>> If it is the (main) relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
>> likely to keep working if it stays cool?

>
>------------------------------------
>
>It's never totally unreliable, since you can always start a Honda that
>has a bad solder joint in the Main Relay by turning the key to position
>II, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (North
>America), and listen to the fuel pump run for three seconds. Honda will
>start and vibration will usually keep the relay 'sparkin' to get you
>wherever you need to go.
>
>'Curly'


Thanks Curly and all who replied.

I am waiting for an opportune time to pull it out and solder it up. I
will probably go ahead and hit all the pins unless there is a reason
not to. Worked fine today but it was cooler.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2007, 10:44 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:31:39 -0600, motsco_ <motsco_@interbaun.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>>
>>> If it is the (main) relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it
>>> likely to keep working if it stays cool?

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> It's never totally unreliable, since you can always start a Honda that
>> has a bad solder joint in the Main Relay by turning the key to position
>> II, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (North
>> America), and listen to the fuel pump run for three seconds. Honda will
>> start and vibration will usually keep the relay 'sparkin' to get you
>> wherever you need to go.
>>
>> 'Curly'

>
> Thanks Curly and all who replied.
>
> I am waiting for an opportune time to pull it out and solder it up.


best results come with de-soldering first. use a good quality higher
wattage soldering tool. some of the terminals you need to solder are
quite big pieces of copper and they'll suck the heat to the point of
uselessness on the usual small stuff. i have a 60W hakko and it's about
right.

> I
> will probably go ahead and hit all the pins unless there is a reason
> not to. Worked fine today but it was cooler.
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2007, 11:06 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
news:avadnQ96jsOMUhzbnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:31:39 -0600, motsco_ <motsco_@interbaun.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>>>
>>>> If it is the (main) relay, is it totally unreliable at this point
>>>> or is it likely to keep working if it stays cool?
>>> ------------------------------------
>>>
>>> It's never totally unreliable, since you can always start a Honda
>>> that has a bad solder joint in the Main Relay by turning the key to
>>> position II, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel
>>> (North America), and listen to the fuel pump run for three seconds.
>>> Honda will start and vibration will usually keep the relay 'sparkin'
>>> to get you wherever you need to go.
>>>
>>> 'Curly'

>>
>> Thanks Curly and all who replied.
>>
>> I am waiting for an opportune time to pull it out and solder it up.

>
> best results come with de-soldering first. use a good quality higher
> wattage soldering tool. some of the terminals you need to solder are
> quite big pieces of copper and they'll suck the heat to the point of
> uselessness on the usual small stuff. i have a 60W hakko and it's
> about right.


And use electrical solder,not plumbing solder.
(rosin fluxed,not acid fluxed.)

Don't "flux" it up! 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a fuel pump relay problem? Gordon McGrew Honda 1 5 26 Jun 2007 10:44 pm
Is this a fuel pump relay problem? Gordon McGrew Honda 3 6 26 Jun 2007 10:44 pm
Fuel pump relay Van Honda 2 8 25 Sep 2005 10:33 pm
1986 Accord - fuel pump relay problem - HELP! saltydad58 Honda 3 10 28 Aug 2005 09:22 am
90 Civic Problem w/Relay, Fuel Pump, or ??? Tony Muller Honda 2 7 17 Aug 2004 04:14 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.