Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jan 2008, 06:29 pm
Eddie G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default navigation upgrade for '06 system

Hi,

I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something
like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to
find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?

This is for an '06 TL.

Thanks!

Eddie g
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Jan 2008, 06:39 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org> said:

> Hi,
>
> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something
> like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to
> find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?
>
> This is for an '06 TL.


You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or through
the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't been
cracked and copied, but that's the story.

Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi system is
$185.00.

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jan 2008, 06:30 pm
RLL
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Hi Eddie,

I have a 2004 TL and recently upgraded to the new DVD. I am not sure it was
worth the cost of nearly $200. It is quite easy to install. Simply remove
the old DVD and insert the new one. When you start the car, it reboots and
you're all set. I couldn't really see any diffference, escept I suppose
there are some updated roads.

I don't think you can get a DVD from anyone by Honda/Acura. They are
available on the web site. I believe the navigation system is manufactured
by Alpine for Honda.

- Russ in Santa Barbara

"Eddie G" <egoldberg@amh.org> wrote in message
news:167f8449-d3ef-4fdc-8ca0-c07ce4008122@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something
> like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to
> find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?
>
> This is for an '06 TL.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eddie g



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2008, 01:11 am
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Waiving the right to remain silent, "RLL" <rlombardo@cox.net> said:

> Hi Eddie,
>
> I have a 2004 TL and recently upgraded to the new DVD. I am not sure it
> was worth the cost of nearly $200. It is quite easy to install. Simply
> remove the old DVD and insert the new one. When you start the car, it
> reboots and you're all set. I couldn't really see any diffference,
> escept I suppose there are some updated roads.


Generally, you won't see much difference. The list of major updates to the
various disk versions are available on some web sites. Probably not worth
nearly $200 to get one or two new roads in your state listed.

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2008, 02:51 pm
BK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.


"Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A30AD505EBFFthefrogprince@64.74.227.2...
> Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org> said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something
>> like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to
>> find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?
>>
>> This is for an '06 TL.

>
> You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or
> through
> the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't been
> cracked and copied, but that's the story.
>
> Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi system
> is
> $185.00.
>
> --
> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>
> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
> with all the privileges that this entails."



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2008, 09:53 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Waiving the right to remain silent, "BK" <miatabill@charter.net> said:

> Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.


Perhaps, but your Garmin doesn't interface with the car's radio,
telephone, and serve as a control center for other car systems as many
factory Navi units do. It's also got a screen that's one-quarter the size
of the one in my Acura TL.

> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9A30AD505EBFFthefrogprince@64.74.227.2...
>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org> said:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something
>>> like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to
>>> find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?
>>>
>>> This is for an '06 TL.

>>
>> You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or
>> through the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things
>> haven't been cracked and copied, but that's the story.
>>
>> Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi
>> system is $185.00.
>>
>> --
>> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>>
>> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability, with all the
>> privileges that this entails."

>
>
>




--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jan 2008, 02:13 am
akheel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Go to the Alpine/Acura web site here:
https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php
Right now they are on sale, at least for my 2005 TL. I just bought the
update for $149 plus $6 shipping. They are out of stock right now but
anticpate shipping by the end of January. $200 at the dealer is a
definite rip-off.

"BK" <miatabill@charter.net> wrote in
news:0qMnj.1930$nn2.1820@newsfe05.lga:
> Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.
>
>
> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9A30AD505EBFFthefrogprince@64.74.227.2...
>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org> said:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is
>>> something like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I
>>> go on-line to find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be
>>> searching for?
>>>
>>> This is for an '06 TL.

>>
>> You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or
>> through
>> the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't
>> been cracked and copied, but that's the story.
>>
>> Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi
>> system is
>> $185.00.
>>
>> --
>> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>>
>> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
>> with all the privileges that this entails."

>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jan 2008, 08:52 am
Nick Cassimatis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

"Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A34CA6A97FE1thefrogprince@69.28.173.184.. .
> Waiving the right to remain silent, "BK" <miatabill@charter.net> said:
>
>> Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.

>
> Perhaps, but your Garmin doesn't interface with the car's radio,
> telephone, and serve as a control center for other car systems as many
> factory Navi units do. It's also got a screen that's one-quarter the size
> of the one in my Acura TL.
>



None of which effect the information on the DVD - it's just maps with some
metadata. I can't believe the Zagat guide costs that much, but maybe it
does.

--
Nick Cassimatis


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:23 am
Tom Simchak
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Not sure where you got that number from. My '07 TL shows a price of
$185 to upgrade (plus S&H). Perhaps the nav system is different, and
that accounts for the difference.

From what I could see on the Acura/Alpine site, there's not much that
they've updated, which is too bad because there are areas right by where
I live that show no roads, but the roads have been there for like 6 or 7
years.

Tom S.
Houston, TX


akheel wrote:
> Go to the Alpine/Acura web site here:
> https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php
> Right now they are on sale, at least for my 2005 TL. I just bought the
> update for $149 plus $6 shipping. They are out of stock right now but
> anticpate shipping by the end of January. $200 at the dealer is a
> definite rip-off.
>
> "BK" <miatabill@charter.net> wrote in
> news:0qMnj.1930$nn2.1820@newsfe05.lga:
>> Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.
>>
>>
>> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9A30AD505EBFFthefrogprince@64.74.227.2...
>>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org> said:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is
>>>> something like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I
>>>> go on-line to find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be
>>>> searching for?
>>>>
>>>> This is for an '06 TL.
>>> You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or
>>> through
>>> the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't
>>> been cracked and copied, but that's the story.
>>>
>>> Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi
>>> system is
>>> $185.00.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>>>
>>> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
>>> with all the privileges that this entails."

>>
>>

>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2008, 02:13 am
akheel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: navigation upgrade for '06 system

Must only apply to certain years. $149 is definitely the price for the 05
TL. And it just came today, so I guess they got their stock sooner than
they thought. On the 05 they also updated the POI and fixed the daylight
savings problem caused by our gov't's genius move in changing the dates.
With all of the reprograming required akin to the Y2K problem, that
little move probably cost more that it saved.

Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in news:Rv1oj.9801$hI1.6692
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

> Not sure where you got that number from. My '07 TL shows a price of
> $185 to upgrade (plus S&H). Perhaps the nav system is different, and
> that accounts for the difference.
>
> From what I could see on the Acura/Alpine site, there's not much

that
> they've updated, which is too bad because there are areas right by

where
> I live that show no roads, but the roads have been there for like 6 or

7
> years.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>
>
> akheel wrote:
>> Go to the Alpine/Acura web site here:
>> https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php
>> Right now they are on sale, at least for my 2005 TL. I just bought the
>> update for $149 plus $6 shipping. They are out of stock right now but
>> anticpate shipping by the end of January. $200 at the dealer is a
>> definite rip-off.
>>
>> "BK" <miatabill@charter.net> wrote in
>> news:0qMnj.1930$nn2.1820@newsfe05.lga:
>>> Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns9A30AD505EBFFthefrogprince@64.74.227.2...
>>>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Eddie G <egoldberg@amh.org>

said:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is
>>>>> something like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I
>>>>> go on-line to find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be
>>>>> searching for?
>>>>>
>>>>> This is for an '06 TL.
>>>> You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or
>>>> through
>>>> the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't
>>>> been cracked and copied, but that's the story.
>>>>
>>>> Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi
>>>> system is
>>>> $185.00.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>>>>
>>>> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
>>>> with all the privileges that this entails."
>>>
>>>

>>

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to copy a newer DVD upgrade version of the navigation system for an pzcur Acura Technical 4 29 Aug 2007 07:00 pm
I want to upgrade the sound system in my 02 acura cl type-s got any suggestions? <altamonte1> Acura Technical 2 20 Aug 2007 10:08 am
How can I upgrade the Acura TSX navigation DVD without paying the dealer $200? mello Acura Technical 2 19 Aug 2007 02:06 pm
How can I upgrade the Acura TSX navigation DVD without paying the dealer $200? mello Acura Technical 0 19 Aug 2007 01:53 pm
Navigation Upgrade? mopa Honda 2 5 22 Feb 2006 08:42 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.