Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 09:47 am
derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

Here's another one for you...I've had this 94 integra for a couple of years
now, and since day one it has shifted funny. I guess you could call it a
"spike" in the shifting - where the rpms come way up, then drop and allow the
transmission into the next gear...really annoying. Local mechanic couldn't
figure it out, so I more less just drive it like a manual and avoid excessive
acceleration. Other than this the car is perfect, and even this problem
doesn't seem to be the end of the car. love to hear if you've heard of this
before.

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/acura/200704/1

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 11:37 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

"derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com" <u9232@uwe> wrote in
news:708ba1a130d10@uwe:

> Here's another one for you...I've had this 94 integra for a couple of
> years now, and since day one it has shifted funny. I guess you could
> call it a "spike" in the shifting - where the rpms come way up, then
> drop and allow the transmission into the next gear...really annoying.
> Local mechanic couldn't figure it out, so I more less just drive it
> like a manual and avoid excessive acceleration. Other than this the
> car is perfect, and even this problem doesn't seem to be the end of
> the car. love to hear if you've heard of this before.
>




What you describe is known as "flaring".

Drain and fill the fluid at least three times with genuine Honda ATF-Z1.
Drive the car for a minute or so between changes.

If this does not cure the problem, you have sticky pistons inside the valve
body, or shift solenoids that are operating slowly.

Any lights on (or flashing) on the dashboard?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:46 pm
derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

Tegger wrote:
>> Here's another one for you...I've had this 94 integra for a couple of
>> years now, and since day one it has shifted funny. I guess you could

>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> car is perfect, and even this problem doesn't seem to be the end of
>> the car. love to hear if you've heard of this before.

>
>What you describe is known as "flaring".
>
>Drain and fill the fluid at least three times with genuine Honda ATF-Z1.
>Drive the car for a minute or so between changes.
>
>If this does not cure the problem, you have sticky pistons inside the valve
>body, or shift solenoids that are operating slowly.
>
>Any lights on (or flashing) on the dashboard?
>

No dashboard action - I was looking for the "D4" flashing, but that wasn't
the case...However the "d4" on the dash does not light up at all any more,
but that has JUST happened.

I'll try draining and filling 3 times - you say to drive a minute or so
between each time, I am assuming after FILLING each time, take it for a spin.

Also is this fluid specific to dealer or can I find it elsewhere? Thanks

--
Message posted via http://www.carkb.com

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:22 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

"derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com" <u9232@uwe> wrote in
news:708db89bf99f0@uwe:


>
> I'll try draining and filling 3 times - you say to drive a minute or
> so between each time, I am assuming after FILLING each time, take it
> for a spin.



And when you check the level, check it within one minute of turning the
engine OFF. Honda automatics are a bit different from others.

You should check the level now. Is it low? That might be all the problem
is.


>
> Also is this fluid specific to dealer or can I find it elsewhere?




The REAL stuff is only available at the dealer, and is worth every penny.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:31 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

Tegger <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in news:Xns990FB0788E6E2tegger@
207.14.116.130:

> "derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com" <u9232@uwe> wrote in
> news:708db89bf99f0@uwe:
>
>
>>
>> I'll try draining and filling 3 times - you say to drive a minute or
>> so between each time, I am assuming after FILLING each time, take it
>> for a spin.

>
>
> And when you check the level, check it within one minute of turning the
> engine OFF. Honda automatics are a bit different from others.




More precisely:

1) Drive car until engine is fully warm
2) Shut engine off
3) Within one minute, check transmission fluid level.

Yes this is correct. The engine is NOT running when you check the automatic
transmission fluid level.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 10:42 pm
derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

Tegger wrote:
>Tegger <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in news:Xns990FB0788E6E2tegger@
>207.14.116.130:
>
>>> I'll try draining and filling 3 times - you say to drive a minute or
>>> so between each time, I am assuming after FILLING each time, take it
>>> for a spin.

>>
>> And when you check the level, check it within one minute of turning the
>> engine OFF. Honda automatics are a bit different from others.

>
>More precisely:
>
>1) Drive car until engine is fully warm
>2) Shut engine off
>3) Within one minute, check transmission fluid level.
>
>Yes this is correct. The engine is NOT running when you check the automatic
>transmission fluid level.
>

Right on. I'll check her out and post again. Your help is appreciated.

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/acura/200704/1

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light + Odd Shifting (Automatic) wesrog@gmail.com Honda 3 4 20 Mar 2006 10:20 pm
91 Civic automatic transmission shifting Chuck Honda 3 11 15 Nov 2005 09:03 am
HELP!! Shifting problems; 1997 Civic DX Automatic JamiLynn Honda 3 2 22 Jun 2004 07:28 pm
Shifting Difficult on 95 Honda Accord LX Automatic Nancy Honda 2 1 24 Feb 2004 08:24 pm
1995 Honda Automatic Shifting into 4th Dale & Ruth Hinshaw Honda 2 6 09 Jan 2004 10:22 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.