Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2007, 11:55 am
Tom Simchak
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default TL Type S

Greetings---

I am considering buying a new TL Type S, and I'm looking for some input.

I've scanned through the messages on this group, but there's nothing
that came up on this particular model.

I'm looking for real-world experiences with this car...build quality,
performance issues, reliability, etc. I realize that Acura only
reintroduced the Type S this model year, but maybe someone on this group
can fill me in.

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:23 pm
Roger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

In article <hltSh.2470$zC.1881@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:

> Greetings---
>
> I am considering buying a new TL Type S, and I'm looking for some input.
>
> I've scanned through the messages on this group, but there's nothing
> that came up on this particular model.
>
> I'm looking for real-world experiences with this car...build quality,
> performance issues, reliability, etc. I realize that Acura only
> reintroduced the Type S this model year, but maybe someone on this group
> can fill me in.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX


I've had one a bit over two months. Overall, I'm quite pleased. About
1 mpg less than my "04, and it had a rattle in the rear going over
bumps. Dealer said this was an issue, and replaced the rear struts with
a factory rev. 2. That fixed 95% of the noise. The factory and dealer
are aware it's not a total fix, and the rev. 3 will be installed when
available - all under warranty.

Esthetic-wise, I'm not a big fan of the red-light dashboard motif
(preferred the blue one), but you get used to it. The back-up video cam
is really nice.

Good luck.

-- Roger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Apr 2007, 03:17 pm
NJ Vike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

Excellent vehicle and Consumer Reports, Motor Tend, Car & Driver have given
their thumbs up on the TL. I just purchased one several weeks ago and cannot
believe the amount of headroom this car offers. It's quick and the seats
provide great support. The car gets great gas mileage to boot.

Take one for a test drive.

Good luck

Ken

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna



"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:hltSh.2470$zC.1881@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net ...
> Greetings---
>
> I am considering buying a new TL Type S, and I'm looking for some input.
>
> I've scanned through the messages on this group, but there's nothing that
> came up on this particular model.
>
> I'm looking for real-world experiences with this car...build quality,
> performance issues, reliability, etc. I realize that Acura only
> reintroduced the Type S this model year, but maybe someone on this group
> can fill me in.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Apr 2007, 04:05 pm
Robert Peirce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

In article <EHQTh.22285$tD2.18615@newsread1.news.pas.earthlin k.net>,
"NJ Vike" <ErieLackawanna@Scranton.com> wrote:

> Excellent vehicle and Consumer Reports, Motor Tend, Car & Driver have given
> their thumbs up on the TL. I just purchased one several weeks ago and cannot
> believe the amount of headroom this car offers. It's quick and the seats
> provide great support. The car gets great gas mileage to boot.
>
> Take one for a test drive.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
> from thirty-third to Buffalo.
> From Broadway bright the tubes run right
> Into the Road of Anthracite"
> Erie - Lackawanna
>
>
>
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> news:hltSh.2470$zC.1881@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net ...
> > Greetings---
> >
> > I am considering buying a new TL Type S, and I'm looking for some input.
> >
> > I've scanned through the messages on this group, but there's nothing that
> > came up on this particular model.
> >
> > I'm looking for real-world experiences with this car...build quality,
> > performance issues, reliability, etc. I realize that Acura only
> > reintroduced the Type S this model year, but maybe someone on this group
> > can fill me in.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Tom S.
> > Houston, TX


I took the car for a test drive and was disappointed in the amount of
torque-steer. It really need SH-AWD. I also thought, that while the
brakes were great, the peddle feel was a bit soft. That could have been
the particular car I was driving. Straight-line it is very quick. Just
don't try to use it for hard cornering.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:57 pm
Dean Dark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:05:12 GMT, Robert Peirce

>I took the car for a test drive and was disappointed in the amount of
>torque-steer. It really need SH-AWD. I also thought, that while the
>brakes were great, the peddle feel was a bit soft. That could have been
>the particular car I was driving. Straight-line it is very quick. Just
>don't try to use it for hard cornering.


It sounds to me like you could be ready for a (gasp! shock! horror!)
*rear* wheel drive car.

Fact is, in anything larger than a very small car, front wheel drive
just doesn't cut it on the performance front. All wheel drive is a
bit better but it's different and at the end of the day all that all
wheel drive on a front wheel drive platform is doing is compensating
somewhat for the shortcomings of front wheel drive scaled up to a
larger and more powerful car being driven by someone a bit more alert
than your grand-dad.

Toyota and Nissan have realized this over the past few years in many
models in their Lexus and Infiniti lines. BMW and Mercedes have known
it for years.

It's time for Honda's Acura brand to catch up. I *really* wish they
would. And don't talk to me about the NSX and the S2000, I'm talking
about the mainstream bread and butter stuff.
--
Dan.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:08 pm
Robert Peirce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

In article <5li2239og1ct0ev410hp4q6rr2vgn9jdtm@4ax.com>,
Dean Dark <ddrake@comcast.notthis.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:05:12 GMT, Robert Peirce
>
> >I took the car for a test drive and was disappointed in the amount of
> >torque-steer. It really need SH-AWD. I also thought, that while the
> >brakes were great, the peddle feel was a bit soft. That could have been
> >the particular car I was driving. Straight-line it is very quick. Just
> >don't try to use it for hard cornering.

>
> It sounds to me like you could be ready for a (gasp! shock! horror!)
> *rear* wheel drive car.
>
> Fact is, in anything larger than a very small car, front wheel drive
> just doesn't cut it on the performance front. All wheel drive is a
> bit better but it's different and at the end of the day all that all
> wheel drive on a front wheel drive platform is doing is compensating
> somewhat for the shortcomings of front wheel drive scaled up to a
> larger and more powerful car being driven by someone a bit more alert
> than your grand-dad.
>
> Toyota and Nissan have realized this over the past few years in many
> models in their Lexus and Infiniti lines. BMW and Mercedes have known
> it for years.
>
> It's time for Honda's Acura brand to catch up. I *really* wish they
> would. And don't talk to me about the NSX and the S2000, I'm talking
> about the mainstream bread and butter stuff.


I have a 1977 MB (RWD), a 1999 NSX (RWD), a 2000 Prelude (FWD) and a
2006 RL (AWD). I have some knowledge of what I am talking about.
Torque steer is pretty well tamed in the RL, and it isn't too bad in the
Prelude. It could be handled in the TL-S as well. The problem is
getting more than about 200 hp to the ground in a FWD car is fairly
difficult, but it can be done. Look at what Real Time Racing has been
able to do, as well as that team that keeps winning in British Touring
Car -- Hareford or something like that.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2007, 08:10 pm
Dean Dark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:08:23 GMT, Robert Peirce
<bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

>> It's time for Honda's Acura brand to catch up. I *really* wish they
>> would. And don't talk to me about the NSX and the S2000, I'm talking
>> about the mainstream bread and butter stuff.

>
>I have a 1977 MB (RWD), a 1999 NSX (RWD), a 2000 Prelude (FWD) and a
>2006 RL (AWD). I have some knowledge of what I am talking about.
>Torque steer is pretty well tamed in the RL, and it isn't too bad in the
>Prelude. It could be handled in the TL-S as well. The problem is
>getting more than about 200 hp to the ground in a FWD car is fairly
>difficult, but it can be done.


So why bother with FWD?

There never has been a *really* good FWD performance car of any decent
size, and IMHFO there isn't likely ever to be one. I'm on my second
NSX now, and it's closest to the most perfect car I've ever driven.
I'm saving up for an F430 (though an F355 may be more within my
reach...) and if that ever happens then I expect even the memory of
the beloved NSX will be eclipsed. I bought an '04 TSX new for a
runabout and it was a damned near faultless car - apart from the
*wretched* FWD yukkiness when you stepped on it. I sold is a year
later with less than 10K miles on it.

The fact remains that FWD sucks big time in the performance car
market. There just ain't no gettin' around it.
--
Dan.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 08:58 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

Dean Dark <ddrake@comcast.notthis.net> wrote in
news:5li2239og1ct0ev410hp4q6rr2vgn9jdtm@4ax.com:


>
> It's time for Honda's Acura brand to catch up. I *really* wish they
> would.



Don't count on it. Honda is run too much by the enviro-weenies these days.

Note their absolute refusal to consider an engine bigger than 3.5L or six
cylinders.


> And don't talk to me about the NSX and the S2000, I'm talking
> about the mainstream bread and butter stuff.



The Ridgeline?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 09:06 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote in
news:bob-7D1B8A.16051214042007@news.verizon.net:


>
> I took the car for a test drive and was disappointed in the amount of
> torque-steer.




You can't ever get rid of torque-steer completely in any vehicle driven by
its front wheels. It's inherent in the design, and the more powerful the
car, the more the torque steer.

My '91 Integra has equal-length halfshafts (for torque-steer reduction) but
you still have to hold on well to the steering wheel on aceleration from a
standstill. That took some getting used to after all the RWD cars I had
previously owned.

Consider a powerful car without equal-length driveshafts or any other
attempt at reducing torque-steer: the Pontiac Sunbird Turbo. I drove one of
these in 1991. This piece of crap had torque-steer so BAD it wanted to
shoot right into the ditch when you floored it. The Integra was much better
behaved.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 09:10 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TL Type S

Dean Dark <ddrake@comcast.notthis.net> wrote in
news:4se523ldoaok144tmq1r0i4dfnluvcb1ii@4ax.com:


>
> So why bother with FWD?



Because it's cheaper and lighter to build.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Type S NJ Vike Acura 5 08 Apr 2007 04:23 pm
RL Type-S Bill Bradley Acura 5 19 Dec 2006 02:12 am
RSX Type-S Pars Honda 3 6 05 Feb 2005 07:18 am
X-type vs. TL Kryptoknight Acura 2 19 Apr 2004 08:25 pm
98 type r mrKRAZY@webtv.net Acura 0 13 Aug 2003 12:31 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.