Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Apr 2007, 05:03 pm
Squire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Timing belt question.

My stepson has a '99 TL with about 108,0000 miles on the odometer. I
keep after him to have the timing belt replaced. My question: Is the
Acura engine one of those where several valves are broken when the
timing belt goes or is the worst that can happen is that it will have
to be towed? Also, should the water pump be replaced as well at this
milage? Your comments will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Apr 2007, 06:40 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

"Squire" <rhfrist@verizon.net> wrote in news:1175461402.312537.84310
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> My stepson has a '99 TL with about 108,0000 miles on the odometer. I
> keep after him to have the timing belt replaced. My question: Is the
> Acura engine one of those where several valves are broken when the
> timing belt goes or is the worst that can happen is that it will have
> to be towed? Also, should the water pump be replaced as well at this
> milage? Your comments will be appreciated.
>
>




Your stepson's engine, like just about every Honda engine ever built, is a
valve-bender.

Honda's quality control is such that the belt will travel somewhat further
before breaking than its specified replacement interval, but it's unwise to
tempt fate.

It is also not a given that the valves will get damaged when the belt
breaks. Occasionally people get lucky and no major harm is done. The odds
are rather against you, though.

Valve damage repair can run into the thousands. It would be frankly stupid
to delay a $500 invoice in order to risk a $3,000 one.

The water pump should be replaced at the same time as the timing belt. It's
only $60, but you have to take everything else apart to get to it. Do you
really want to save $60 now, then spend another $200 in labor later to
replace it when it starts leaking or making noise? Besides, the water pump
is turned by the timing belt. If the pump should seize, it will tear up the
timing belt and give you the aforementioned $3,000 valve repair bill.

There is such a thing as "false economy". Do not fall prey to the
temptations of false economy.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Apr 2007, 08:51 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

"karinhall" <ah@nsdap.com> wrote in
news:wJidnZyLHaZMLI_bnZ2dnUVZ_sCinZ2d@usa2net.net:

>
> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
> news:Xns9905BDFDB59F0tegger@207.14.116.130...


>>
>>
>>
>> Your stepson's engine, like just about every Honda engine ever built,
>> is a valve-bender.
>>

>
>
> Tegger, is this true of the 2002 RL 3.5 engine? An interference
> engine?



Yes.


> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt



Why do you post in HTML?



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2007, 08:09 am
karinhall
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message news:Xns9907D42D8D7BCtegger@207.14.116.130...

> "karinhall" <ah@nsdap.com> wrote in
> news:wJidnZyLHaZMLI_bnZ2dnUVZ_sCinZ2d@usa2net.net:
>

>>
>> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9905BDFDB59F0tegger@207.14.116.130...

>

>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Your stepson's engine, like just about every Honda engine ever built,
>>> is a valve-bender.
>>>

>>
>>
>> Tegger, is this true of the 2002 RL 3.5 engine? An interference
>> engine?

>
>
> Yes.
>
>

>> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt

>
>
> Why do you post in HTML?
>
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>

Didn't know I was posting in HTML. My <Tools> <Options> <Send> box is checked for Plain Text in the <News Sending Format> box. ???
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2007, 05:15 pm
NJ Vike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

Unfortunately so:

http://www.gates.com/landing/import/...ocation_id=510

Ken

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie Lackawanna



"Squire" <rhfrist@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:1175461402.312537.84310@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
> My stepson has a '99 TL with about 108,0000 miles on the odometer. I
> keep after him to have the timing belt replaced. My question: Is the
> Acura engine one of those where several valves are broken when the
> timing belt goes or is the worst that can happen is that it will have
> to be towed? Also, should the water pump be replaced as well at this
> milage? Your comments will be appreciated.
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2007, 11:40 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

"NJ Vike" <ErieLackawanna@Scranton.com> wrote in message
news:eAUQh.19546$tD2.3458@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
> Unfortunately so:
>
> http://www.gates.com/landing/import/...ocation_id=510
>


Oddly, there are some definitely non-interference engines that Gates lists
as interference. The Volvo B230 is non-interference in all versions. In this
case I'm sure it's correct.

Mike



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2007, 05:14 pm
NJ Vike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

I have seen some discrepancies.

Ken

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna



"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:quGdnblUp69L8onbnZ2dnUVZ_o6gnZ2d@sedona.net.. .
> "NJ Vike" <ErieLackawanna@Scranton.com> wrote in message
> news:eAUQh.19546$tD2.3458@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
>> Unfortunately so:
>>
>> http://www.gates.com/landing/import/...ocation_id=510
>>

>
> Oddly, there are some definitely non-interference engines that Gates lists
> as interference. The Volvo B230 is non-interference in all versions. In
> this case I'm sure it's correct.
>
> Mike
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2007, 10:30 pm
Sandy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

You're right about the logic of replacing a $60 waterpump. Unfortunately
it's more like $123 for the pump plus labor plus all the associated belts,
fittings, etc. from my Dlr. and so it all ends up a lot closer to a grand
than to $500. Yes, it is a calculated risk to skip the WP but it's not such
a no-brainer when looking at spending $200+ to "maybe" save $300 sometime
later on. I'm still debating.

FWIW, it looks to me like your posts are in text and not HTML.



"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9905BDFDB59F0tegger@207.14.116.130...
> "Squire" <rhfrist@verizon.net> wrote in news:1175461402.312537.84310
> @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
>> My stepson has a '99 TL with about 108,0000 miles on the odometer. I
>> keep after him to have the timing belt replaced. My question: Is the
>> Acura engine one of those where several valves are broken when the
>> timing belt goes or is the worst that can happen is that it will have
>> to be towed? Also, should the water pump be replaced as well at this
>> milage? Your comments will be appreciated.
>>
>>

>
>
>
> Your stepson's engine, like just about every Honda engine ever built, is a
> valve-bender.
>
> Honda's quality control is such that the belt will travel somewhat further
> before breaking than its specified replacement interval, but it's unwise
> to
> tempt fate.
>
> It is also not a given that the valves will get damaged when the belt
> breaks. Occasionally people get lucky and no major harm is done. The odds
> are rather against you, though.
>
> Valve damage repair can run into the thousands. It would be frankly stupid
> to delay a $500 invoice in order to risk a $3,000 one.
>
> The water pump should be replaced at the same time as the timing belt.
> It's
> only $60, but you have to take everything else apart to get to it. Do you
> really want to save $60 now, then spend another $200 in labor later to
> replace it when it starts leaking or making noise? Besides, the water pump
> is turned by the timing belt. If the pump should seize, it will tear up
> the
> timing belt and give you the aforementioned $3,000 valve repair bill.
>
> There is such a thing as "false economy". Do not fall prey to the
> temptations of false economy.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2007, 10:36 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

"karinhall" <ah@nsdap.com> wrote in
news:teGdnWkMmNcaCI7bnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@usa2net.net:


>>> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt

>>
>>
>> Why do you post in HTML?
>>


>>

> Didn't know I was posting in HTML. My <Tools> <Options> <Send> box is
> checked for Plain Text in the <News Sending Format> box. ???
> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.txt
>




Frickin' MicroSquash... <grumble>


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2007, 11:27 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Timing belt question.

"Sandy" <sbeech6@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
news:zhiRh.136965$907.15930@newsfe13.phx...
> You're right about the logic of replacing a $60 waterpump. Unfortunately
> it's more like $123 for the pump plus labor plus all the associated belts,
> fittings, etc. from my Dlr. and so it all ends up a lot closer to a grand
> than to $500. Yes, it is a calculated risk to skip the WP but it's not
> such a no-brainer when looking at spending $200+ to "maybe" save $300
> sometime later on. I'm still debating.
>


I think you are underestimating the costs of water pump failure. If the pump
has to be replaced in the future, it will cost as much then as doing the
whole smash now; what you spend now will be for naught. If the pump seizes
(fortunately rather rare in Honda products) it will strip the timing belt
and wreck the engine. The choice is yours, but I recommend doing the pump.

Mike



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing belt question accord_owner Honda 3 12 17 Jun 2006 02:08 pm
Re: Timing belt question johnin Honda 2 0 15 Jun 2006 02:28 pm
Timing Belt Question RJ Honda 2 18 05 Apr 2005 04:41 pm
Timing Belt Question Kurgan666 Honda 3 7 30 Aug 2004 07:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.