Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:16 am
** Frank **
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Integra GSR water pump installation problem

1998 Integra GSR, replacing water pump. The sprocket diameter on the new OEM
water pump is smaller than the existing Honda one. After installation of the
new pump, the existing timing belt now is too loose. Existing Honda belt,
which is fine with the old Honda pump, is used and tensioner adjusted for
maximum tension, but still has too much slack. Is there a trick in adjusting
the tensioner? Does anyone know if the smaller diameter on the new pump is
the problem or is it something else? Thanks in advance.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:48 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra GSR water pump installation problem

"** Frank **" <noemall@xyz.net> wrote in
news:SJOdnYvzDpsTwPjanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@comcast.com:

> 1998 Integra GSR, replacing water pump. The sprocket diameter on the
> new OEM water pump is smaller than the existing Honda one. After
> installation of the new pump, the existing timing belt now is too
> loose. Existing Honda belt, which is fine with the old Honda pump, is
> used and tensioner adjusted for maximum tension, but still has too
> much slack. Is there a trick in adjusting the tensioner? Does anyone
> know if the smaller diameter on the new pump is the problem or is it
> something else? Thanks in advance.
>
>



Maybe you've been sold the wrong part. It happens.

What's the part number?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2007, 02:29 pm
** Frank **
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra GSR water pump installation problem


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9A08820AF5E9Btegger@207.14.116.130...
> "** Frank **" <noemall@xyz.net> wrote in
> news:SJOdnYvzDpsTwPjanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> 1998 Integra GSR, replacing water pump. The sprocket diameter on the
>> new OEM water pump is smaller than the existing Honda one. After
>> installation of the new pump, the existing timing belt now is too
>> loose. Existing Honda belt, which is fine with the old Honda pump, is
>> used and tensioner adjusted for maximum tension, but still has too
>> much slack. Is there a trick in adjusting the tensioner? Does anyone
>> know if the smaller diameter on the new pump is the problem or is it
>> something else? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>

>
>
> Maybe you've been sold the wrong part. It happens.
>
> What's the part number?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/




Yes, we purchased the pump from two different sources, one from the net and
the other from a local parts house, and both provided the wrong part. Turns
out their computer had listed it wrong and the right one is not in stock.
Looks like we need to go to the Acura dealer. Its a 22T, or 22 teeth,
anything different won't work and the tensioner won't take up the slack.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2007, 05:47 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra GSR water pump installation problem

"** Frank **" <noemall@xyz.net> wrote in
news:t7idnbzmn8M7F_janZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@comcast.com:


>
>
>
> Yes, we purchased the pump from two different sources, one from the
> net and the other from a local parts house, and both provided the
> wrong part. Turns out their computer had listed it wrong and the right
> one is not in stock. Looks like we need to go to the Acura dealer. Its
> a 22T, or 22 teeth, anything different won't work and the tensioner
> won't take up the slack.
>




Then it's the wrong part, plain and simple.

If you are buying from parts houses, you are not getting "OEM", but
"OEM-spec", which is the aftermarket's way of covering up shitty quality
and poor fit.

Bite the bullet and spend the extra bucks to get the right water pump --
from the dealer. If you're using other aftermarket parts, ditch them too.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WATER PUMP PROBLEM? don74@adelphia.net Honda Technical 1 13 Nov 2007 04:40 pm
Integra fuel pump installation? sinamotamedi34 Acura Technical 3 27 Aug 2007 06:44 am
water pump angelluvpapito@verizon.net Honda 2 1 30 Apr 2007 06:28 am
Fuel pump installation 1989 Honda Accord LX Judkins142@gmail.com Honda 2 3 01 Mar 2007 06:04 am
98 water pump grobo Honda 2 3 26 Jun 2005 04:46 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.