Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2007, 08:59 pm
Oldtimer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What to do with '00 TL

My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty
period will end sometime this year.

I asked the dealer about the trans and was told there is no way to
predict if or when it "might" die. They've even seen one that had 2
replacements in less than a year.

I really like the car and it's in excellent condition. The finish and
interior are good as new. The only thing not working right is the
drivers seat bottom heater.

I don't know if it's wise to do brakes, tires, etc. when they come due
or if it's better to replace the car and avoid the possible Trans.
problem.

Any opinions?

Thanks.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 11:10 pm
Yoda
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On 2007-01-31 20:59:54 -0600, Oldtimer <Oldtimer@home.net> said:

> My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty
> period will end sometime this year.
>
> I asked the dealer about the trans and was told there is no way to
> predict if or when it "might" die. They've even seen one that had 2
> replacements in less than a year.
>
> I really like the car and it's in excellent condition. The finish and
> interior are good as new. The only thing not working right is the
> drivers seat bottom heater.
>
> I don't know if it's wise to do brakes, tires, etc. when they come due
> or if it's better to replace the car and avoid the possible Trans.
> problem.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks.


6 years and only 40k? Keep it if you like it otherwise - you're
worrying about nothing. When and if the tranny sarts to act up, it'll
probably be well after 150k the way you're driving it, which is in 15
some years at this rate. Some cars never get tranny problems before
everything else dies around them. Just because the warranty is expiring
doesn't mean the tranny is going to explode or anything.
--
-----------------------------
I only talk like that in the movies

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2007, 11:43 am
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

Oldtimer wrote:
> My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty
> period will end sometime this year.
>


It sounds like you don't drive a lot. The extra cost to trade in your
nearly perfect vehicle on sometime new would far exceed the potential
cost of an eventual transmission replacement if yours needs one some day.

I would simply make sure that the transmission fluid is properly changed
out once every two years with the drain, fill, drive, etc. procedure
Honda recommends and using correct Honda fluid and then stop worrying
about it. All kinds of bad things might happen to us in life, but there
is little sense overdoing the worries.

JOhn
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2007, 04:12 pm
Brian Yates
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

Hi Oldtimer,
Have you had the transmission replaced yet?
There was a factory recall out on the 2000 TL and I had mine replaced with
no problems. If it has been replaced, then no worries.
Brian

"Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@home.net> wrote in message
news:ral2s2lqrrjjq5gidgracuduisb3c68g3b@4ax.com...
> My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty
> period will end sometime this year.
>
> I asked the dealer about the trans and was told there is no way to
> predict if or when it "might" die. They've even seen one that had 2
> replacements in less than a year.
>
> I really like the car and it's in excellent condition. The finish and
> interior are good as new. The only thing not working right is the
> drivers seat bottom heater.
>
> I don't know if it's wise to do brakes, tires, etc. when they come due
> or if it's better to replace the car and avoid the possible Trans.
> problem.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Feb 2007, 12:37 pm
Oldtimer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:12:14 GMT, "Brian Yates" <bribon@telus.net>
wrote:

>Hi Oldtimer,
>Have you had the transmission replaced yet?
>There was a factory recall out on the 2000 TL and I had mine replaced with
>no problems. If it has been replaced, then no worries.
>Brian
>


Brian,

I believe that recall was for a visual inspection (via fibre optics)
of the second gear. Only those that showed wear/problems were
replaced. The others (mine too) had a retrofit oiler of some sort
added.

As I mentioned, my dealer has seen repeat failures (don't know the
model or year).

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't decided what to do yet, but I
think less worrying would be a good start.

Oldtimer
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2007, 01:10 am
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On Jan 31, 9:59�pm, Oldtimer <Oldti...@home.net> wrote:
> My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty
> period will end sometime this year.
>
> I asked the dealer about the trans and was told there is no way to
> predict if or when it "might" die. *They've even seen one that had 2
> replacements in less than a year.
>
> I really like the car and it's in excellent condition. *The finish and
> interior are good as new. *The only thing not working right is the
> drivers seat bottom heater.
>
> I don't know if it's wise to do brakes, tires, etc. when they come due
> or if it's better to replace the car and avoid the possible Trans.
> problem.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks.


Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the
transmission warranty expiring.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2007, 08:25 am
Venture Rider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On 8 Feb 2007 23:10:38 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw@yahoo.com said:

>Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the
>transmission warranty expiring.


Well, yes, except for all those transmission failures.

--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2007, 09:40 am
Ghislain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

I am in the same situation as the OP (2001 TL with 84K kms). The cost of a
new transmission represents at most 8 months of payments on a new car. If my
transmission replaced at 76K failed within the next 2-3 years, Honda would
probably agree to pay a fraction of the invoice. Should I keep my TL and
take the risk of a transmission failure? Probably.

"Venture Rider" <dontbother@bogus.dom> a crit dans le message de news:
45cc8439$0$29754$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> On 8 Feb 2007 23:10:38 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw@yahoo.com said:
>
>>Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the
>>transmission warranty expiring.

>
> Well, yes, except for all those transmission failures.
>
> --
> "What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Feb 2007, 01:21 am
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On Feb 9, 9:25?am, Venture Rider <dontbot...@bogus.dom> wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2007 23:10:38 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaom...@yahoo.com said:
>
> >Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the
> >transmission warranty expiring.

>
> Well, yes, except for all those transmission failures.


Well I went and looked it up. CR gives the 2000 Acura TL it's worst
reliability rating in the transmission category. However, it does
give the 2000 TL it's second highest rating for used car
reliability(there are only five ratings of course). It's worth about
a third of what a new TL is worth.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:04 am
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What to do with '00 TL

On Feb 10, 2:21�am, iwhtcimtlfmwmaom...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Feb 9, 9:25?am, Venture Rider <dontbot...@bogus.dom> wrote:
>
> > On 8 Feb 2007 23:10:38 -0800, iwhtcimtlfmwmaom...@yahoo.com said:

>
> > >Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the
> > >transmission warranty expiring.

>
> > Well, yes, except for all those transmission failures.

>
> Well I went and looked it up. *CR gives the 2000 Acura TL it's worst
> reliability rating in the transmission category. *However, it does
> give the 2000 TL it's second highest rating for used car
> reliability(there are only five ratings of course). *It's worth about
> a third of what a new TL is worth.


I was looking at the wrong thing sorry...it's not worth quite a third
of what a new TL is worth. A 2000 TL is worth $7,900 to $9,800. A
2007 TL goes for 33-38.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.