Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:05 am
Hands
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

I replacced the pads and rotors on the rear of my car and after taking for a
test drive the rotor was glowing red and smoking. I did notice that when I
retraced the caliper the rubber boot on the inside of the caliper came off
and it looks like a lot of rust around the piston. Will replacing the caliper
fix the problem? Will I need a new rotor and pads?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:18 am
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

"Hands" <u20295@uwe> wrote in news:5e074d75caa7c@uwe:

> I replacced the pads and rotors on the rear of my car and after taking
> for a test drive the rotor was glowing red and smoking. I did notice
> that when I retraced the caliper the rubber boot on the inside of the
> caliper came off and it looks like a lot of rust around the piston.
> Will replacing the caliper fix the problem? Will I need a new rotor
> and pads?
>



Did you turn the piston in when repacing the pads? Did it turn this easily
or did you have to twist with all your might with both hands?
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#ScrewIt
(view the WMV video)


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 10:12 am
Hands
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

TeGGeR® wrote:
>> I replacced the pads and rotors on the rear of my car and after taking
>> for a test drive the rotor was glowing red and smoking. I did notice
>> that when I retraced the caliper the rubber boot on the inside of the
>> caliper came off and it looks like a lot of rust around the piston.
>> Will replacing the caliper fix the problem? Will I need a new rotor
>> and pads?

>
>Did you turn the piston in when repacing the pads? Did it turn this easily
>or did you have to twist with all your might with both hands?
>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#ScrewIt
>(view the WMV video)
>

Yes, I turned the piston and it turned easily.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 02:06 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

"Hands" <u20295@uwe> wrote in news:5e08687e1bcad@uwe:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>> I replacced the pads and rotors on the rear of my car and after
>>> taking for a test drive the rotor was glowing red and smoking. I did
>>> notice that when I retraced the caliper the rubber boot on the
>>> inside of the caliper came off and it looks like a lot of rust
>>> around the piston. Will replacing the caliper fix the problem? Will
>>> I need a new rotor and pads?

>>
>>Did you turn the piston in when repacing the pads? Did it turn this
>>easily or did you have to twist with all your might with both hands?
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#ScrewIt
>>(view the WMV video)
>>

> Yes, I turned the piston and it turned easily.
>




Did you make sure the pads were free on their mount bracket, and that the
slide pins weren't stuck?

Did you have to fight to get the caliper back over the new pads? If so,
then you're using aftermarket pads that are too thick.

With the caliper off the mount bracket, does the piston move in and out
easily when the parking brake is applied and released? (pull lever SLOWLY!)

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 02:33 pm
Hands
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

TeGGeR® wrote:
>>>> I replacced the pads and rotors on the rear of my car and after
>>>> taking for a test drive the rotor was glowing red and smoking. I did

>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>>

>> Yes, I turned the piston and it turned easily.

>
>Did you make sure the pads were free on their mount bracket, and that the
>slide pins weren't stuck?
>
>Did you have to fight to get the caliper back over the new pads? If so,
>then you're using aftermarket pads that are too thick.
>
>With the caliper off the mount bracket, does the piston move in and out
>easily when the parking brake is applied and released? (pull lever SLOWLY!)
>

The pads were snug on the rotor. I did not check to see how the piston moved..
.. but I did go to your website and I think I may have a problem with the
parking brake. Oh I forgot to mention that the problem is only on the driver
side, the other side was fine. BTW, that is a great website. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2006, 05:18 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1995 Acura Integra - rear caliper sticking

"Hands" <u20295@uwe> wrote in news:5e0ab083a18ea@uwe:

> TeGGeR® wrote:


>>

> The pads were snug on the rotor.




They ought to be quite loose. Either you didn't screw the piston in far
enough, or there are other problems.

Read this:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html
Lots of pics. It's worth the time to let them load.



> I did not check to see how the piston
> moved.



You should. It will tell you how the parking brake mechanism is working.
There's no other way of testing it. Have a helper pull slowly up on the
lever while you watch the piston.


.. . but I did go to your website and I think I may have a
> problem with the parking brake. Oh I forgot to mention that the
> problem is only on the driver side, the other side was fine. BTW, that
> is a great website. Thanks



You're welcome.



--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake Caliper sticking, not releasing properly causing wheel shake. What can I do? Help appreciated! 85miles Honda 3 16 13 Jul 2007 06:28 am
1995 acura integra suez8226 Acura 3 05 Dec 2006 08:07 am
1998 Integra -- New Rear Caliper won't engage with parking brake gwhitney@ureach.com Honda 3 0 22 Nov 2005 10:10 am
2001 Accord - left rear caliper sticking George Earl Honda 3 0 15 Oct 2005 05:09 pm
Stuck Rear Caliper On 94 Integra frank Acura 10 05 Sep 2005 11:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.