Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2006, 02:40 pm
Jim Tiberio
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 270 HP vs. 258 HP?

Hi all, I picked up my '06 TL last week and have a question that wasn't
answered to my satisfaction by the sales guy. Why was 2005 TL rated at
270HP while the '06 is rated at 258HP? The dealer says they implemented a
new policy that all car companies will have to adhere to at some point when
disclosing HP, he didn't explaim the policy. Are they rating it from a
point other than the crank? Did they ever measure from the crank. I assume
more than 12 HP would be lost in the drive train.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2006, 04:22 pm
Ghislain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 270 HP vs. 258 HP?

258 HP is certified to SAE J1349.

"Jim Tiberio" <jimtiberio@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
45k2j0F72jh4U1@individual.net...
> Hi all, I picked up my '06 TL last week and have a question that wasn't
> answered to my satisfaction by the sales guy. Why was 2005 TL rated at
> 270HP while the '06 is rated at 258HP? The dealer says they implemented a
> new policy that all car companies will have to adhere to at some point
> when
> disclosing HP, he didn't explaim the policy. Are they rating it from a
> point other than the crank? Did they ever measure from the crank. I
> assume
> more than 12 HP would be lost in the drive train.
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2006, 03:49 am
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 270 HP vs. 258 HP?

Jim Tiberio wrote:
> Hi all, I picked up my '06 TL last week and have a question that wasn't
> answered to my satisfaction by the sales guy. Why was 2005 TL rated at
> 270HP while the '06 is rated at 258HP? The dealer says they implemented a
> new policy that all car companies will have to adhere to at some point when
> disclosing HP, he didn't explaim the policy. Are they rating it from a
> point other than the crank? Did they ever measure from the crank. I assume
> more than 12 HP would be lost in the drive train.


The HP of the car has not changed. Only the way they are allowed to
measure it. ie. using oil that would void the warranty and other
cheating methods to boost the number are no longer allowed. The 2005
would likely be given the same rating on the new system.


--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Please remove the -deletethispart-. section before replying directly.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2006, 07:16 pm
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 270 HP vs. 258 HP?

Good explanation.

However, most Honda models got HP boost from the new measuring system, I
doubt TL was cheating.


"Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL"
<mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message
news:X6gJf.90786$c31.55574@fe08.news.easynews.com. ..
>
> The HP of the car has not changed. Only the way they are allowed to
> measure it. ie. using oil that would void the warranty and other cheating
> methods to boost the number are no longer allowed. The 2005 would likely
> be given the same rating on the new system.
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2006, 03:04 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 270 HP vs. 258 HP?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:16:29 GMT, "Sam" <SNOASPAMM@lycos.com> wrote:

>Good explanation.
>
>However, most Honda models got HP boost from the new measuring system, I
>doubt TL was cheating.


Is that true? I heard that the new Civic Si would have been over 200
with the old method, now it is 197(?)



>
>
>"Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL"
><mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message
>news:X6gJf.90786$c31.55574@fe08.news.easynews.com ...
>>
>> The HP of the car has not changed. Only the way they are allowed to
>> measure it. ie. using oil that would void the warranty and other cheating
>> methods to boost the number are no longer allowed. The 2005 would likely
>> be given the same rating on the new system.
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.