Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Nov 2005, 01:04 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Integra starter solenoid rebuild experience

My 94 GSR was only cranking intermittently(new battery);Googled and read
that the starter solenoid goes bad and the ENTIRE Nippondenso starter must
be replaced(according to the Haynes manual) for BIG bucks.Then I found a
place that sells solenoid rebuild parts kits;for 24.95 + $5
shipping.Ordered one online Nov 4th,,got it the 16th. It's 3 parts,2
contacts and a new solenoid plunger.


The pipe from the air filter box to the throttle body must be removed to
access the starter.I have a CAI,so that was not as much trouble to pull.

The hard part was getting the starter out;the bottom bolt,a LONG one,did
not want to break loose,and naturally,there was not much room to work in.
After that,it was easy replacing the bad parts. The 2 contacts were badly
eroded (1/2 as thick as original!) and the plunger copper ring was pitted.

If anyone is interested,the company is Nation Bros. Auto Electric in
Missouri.
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html

*Tegger*,you may want to add this to your excellent FAQ.


I just LOVE the Internet 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:14 am
Burt S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra starter solenoid rebuild experience

"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message news:Xns970C84FEDEBBDjyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86.. .

> My 94 GSR was only cranking intermittently(new battery);Googled and read
> that the starter solenoid goes bad and the ENTIRE Nippondenso starter must
> be replaced(according to the Haynes manual) for BIG bucks.Then I found a
> place that sells solenoid rebuild parts kits;for 24.95 + $5
> shipping.Ordered one online Nov 4th,,got it the 16th. It's 3 parts,2
> contacts and a new solenoid plunger.


The plunger and solenoid kits at the site you mentioned aren't
made of copper. Because of the resistance the contacts and
plunger may heat up just a bit and put out less amp to the starter.
And possibly have difficulties starting on an extremely cold
day, something Nippondenso would stay away from.

Because of this issue I reused my old Accord contacts. The
contacts were formed into shape then reassembled with a
washer. The contacts are 100% up to factory specifications and
cost nothing. The Integra solenoid could be done the same way.

Unlike the Integra, the 89 Accord solenoid housing shell is
pressed and sealed. This makes it difficult to open, but
nonetheless very simple. Good job with your rebuild.

> After that,it was easy replacing the bad parts. The 2 contacts were badly
> eroded (1/2 as thick as original!) and the plunger copper ring was pitted.
> If anyone is interested,the company is Nation Bros. Auto Electric in
> Missouri.
> http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html













Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Nov 2005, 10:06 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra starter solenoid rebuild experience

"Burt S." <burtsquareman@gmailcom> wrote in
news:w8eef.20141$dO2.10729@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net:

> "Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message
> news:Xns970C84FEDEBBDjyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86.. .
>
>> My 94 GSR was only cranking intermittently(new battery);Googled and
>> read that the starter solenoid goes bad and the ENTIRE Nippondenso
>> starter must be replaced(according to the Haynes manual) for BIG
>> bucks.Then I found a place that sells solenoid rebuild parts kits;for
>> 24.95 + $5 shipping.Ordered one online Nov 4th,,got it the 16th.
>> It's 3 parts,2 contacts and a new solenoid plunger.

>
> The plunger and solenoid kits at the site you mentioned aren't
> made of copper.


The ones I received were copper.The plunger has a copper ring(just like the
original),the rest is ferrous,otherwise,it would not work as the armature
of the solenoid.

what do YOU think the new contacts are made of? and why?

> Because of the resistance the contacts and
> plunger may heat up just a bit and put out less amp to the starter.
> And possibly have difficulties starting on an extremely cold
> day, something Nippondenso would stay away from.


HA,I live in central FLORIDA!! NO "extremely cold" days or nights!
I'll be thinking of you this winter 8-)
>
> Because of this issue I reused my old Accord contacts. The
> contacts were formed into shape then reassembled with a
> washer. The contacts are 100% up to factory specifications and
> cost nothing. The Integra solenoid could be done the same way.
>
> Unlike the Integra, the 89 Accord solenoid housing shell is
> pressed and sealed. This makes it difficult to open, but
> nonetheless very simple. Good job with your rebuild.
>
>> After that,it was easy replacing the bad parts. The 2 contacts were
>> badly eroded (1/2 as thick as original!) and the plunger copper ring
>> was pitted. If anyone is interested,the company is Nation Bros. Auto
>> Electric in Missouri.
>> http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html

>



--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2005, 09:44 am
Burt S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra starter solenoid rebuild experience

"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message news:Xns970F66D0C566jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84...
> "Burt S." <burtsquareman@gmailcom> wrote in
> >> http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html


> > The plunger and solenoid kits at the site you mentioned aren't
> > made of copper.

>
> The ones I received were copper.The plunger has a copper ring(just like the
> original),the rest is ferrous,otherwise,it would not work as the armature
> of the solenoid.
>
> what do YOU think the new contacts are made of? and why?


You can see that silver has about the same appearance and tends to
oxidize this way. The problem is that silver is many times the cost of
copper. These contacts could be the inclusion of silver and other alloys
to reduce cost, making its conductive property a mystery unless the
website say so.

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/images/66-82761.jpg

Certainly, silver can cost more, about 6-10USD/oz on today's market.
Our high performance silver speaker cables were obtained for 1USD/foot.
This could make it quite possible to form solenoid contacts. Silver has a
slight edge over copper that is why silver cables performs so well. You
will need to crank the amp up fairly high in order to get the sound to
break up. Sound quality is also unbelievable.

Where copper can be “annealed” (heated) to maintain its flexibility,
silver cannot — and it’s also brittle and fragile by comparison.






Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Nov 2005, 07:25 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Integra starter solenoid rebuild experience

"Burt S." <burtsquareman@gmailcom> wrote in
news:nBHef.15369$D13.9991@newssvr11.news.prodigy.c om:

> "Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message
> news:Xns970F66D0C566jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84...
>> "Burt S." <burtsquareman@gmailcom> wrote in
> > >> http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html

>
>> > The plunger and solenoid kits at the site you mentioned aren't
>> > made of copper.

>>
>> The ones I received were copper.The plunger has a copper ring(just
>> like the original),the rest is ferrous,otherwise,it would not work as
>> the armature of the solenoid.
>>
>> what do YOU think the new contacts are made of? and why?

>
> You can see that silver has about the same appearance and tends to
> oxidize this way. The problem is that silver is many times the cost of
> copper. These contacts could be the inclusion of silver and other
> alloys to reduce cost, making its conductive property a mystery unless
> the website say so.
>
> http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/images/66-82761.jpg


IOW,you're GUESSING,you don't KNOW for certain.

I certainly would not depend on a simple digital picture to determine
material of the contacts.

BUT,*I* actually have held the new contacts in my hands,I installed them
myself.
They're COPPER.

>
> Certainly, silver can cost more, about 6-10USD/oz on today's market.
> Our high performance silver speaker cables were obtained for
> 1USD/foot. This could make it quite possible to form solenoid
> contacts. Silver has a slight edge over copper that is why silver
> cables performs so well. You will need to crank the amp up fairly high
> in order to get the sound to break up. Sound quality is also
> unbelievable.
>
> Where copper can be “annealed” (heated) to maintain its flexibility,
> silver cannot — and it’s also brittle and fragile by comparison.
>
>


WHY in the world would they go to the trouble of alloys when they could
just stamp out the pieces from readily available copper sheet?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittent problem with starter solenoid? Den Honda 2 3 03 Apr 2007 05:59 pm
Starter rebuild kit for 97 Honda Accord, where to buy? Walter Honda 2 5 08 Jan 2007 12:59 am
Integra 91 Starter doesn't run John Acura 3 15 Aug 2006 06:47 pm
integra starter solenoid Jim Yanik Acura 0 02 Nov 2005 07:24 pm
Hot tranny -> Hot neutral safety Switch -> Starter solenoid not engage mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk Honda 3 0 04 Aug 2005 05:40 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.