Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Sep 2005, 03:15 pm
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2002 TL-S VSC/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

Once in awhile, when my 2002 TL-S is restarted a couple of times
(e.g., while shopping, stoping in a couple of stores) both the VSC and
ABS dash lights stay on when the car is started. Turning the car off
and then on again causes the lights to go out. This is very
intermittent, and impossible to reproduce... The lights have never
come on at any time other than when the car is started. When the
lights aren't on, both systems seem to function fine.

An Acura dealer checked this when the lights were off, and didn't pick
up any codes. Last week the lights came on and I was able to have the
dealer's tech hook up the Acura analyzer while they were on - still no
codes. The tech said the battery was a little weak and that if the
cranking voltage was a little low it could confuse the computer. This
seemed plausible enough - low voltage can cause digital logic to do
strange things. So I went ahead and had the battery replaced. (BTW,
it wasn't until I checked afterwards that I realized they should have
prorated the price. They gave me a refund and a free oil change...)

The lights came on again, so the battery didn't help. I'm going to
take the car in again to be checked out (they plan to get help from
Acura in diagnosing the problem). However, does anyone have any ideas
about what could be causing this? I don't want to spend more money
trying things, like the battery I probably didn't need.

Also, the dealer wouldn't commint to whether ABS and VSC are covered
by the drivetrain warranty (100K, the car was certified preowned). Any
advice about that?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Sep 2005, 04:01 pm
Humma Kavula
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSC/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

On my 2001, the TCS light would come on intermittently. It was a lot
like you discribe. I had the brake oil changed, and the problem never
came back. Coincidence?

Acura suggests changing the brake oil every 36 months.


--
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
and been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Sep 2005, 07:34 pm
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSC/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the brake fluid changed awhile
back, per the36 months in the maintenance schedule. I didn't notice
any change in this intermittent problem after that... Also, this is
both the ABS and the VSC lights.

Did your light come on when the car was stared, or while driving?


On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:01:11 -0400, Humma Kavula
<hkavula@jatravartid.org> wrote:

>On my 2001, the TCS light would come on intermittently. It was a lot
>like you discribe. I had the brake oil changed, and the problem never
>came back. Coincidence?
>
>Acura suggests changing the brake oil every 36 months.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Sep 2005, 07:52 pm
Humma Kavula
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSC/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:34:08 -0400, Martin <> let slip this dark
secret:

>Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the brake fluid changed awhile
>back, per the36 months in the maintenance schedule. I didn't notice
>any change in this intermittent problem after that... Also, this is
>both the ABS and the VSC lights.
>
>Did your light come on when the car was stared, or while driving?
>

It would mostly just turn on while driving. I'd "reboot" the car and
it would go away for a while. Another possibility with the TCS is
tires. The TCS works by sampling the speed of each individual wheel.
If one tire's circumference is different, due to a difference in wear
or pressure for example, it could confuse the system. Well, anyway,
it's a good theory!

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
and been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Oct 2005, 06:22 am
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

I don't think it's wheel speeds, etc. The VSA and ABS lights just
don't go off when the car is started, before driving an inch...


On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:52:42 -0400, Humma Kavula
<hkavula@jatravartid.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:34:08 -0400, Martin <> let slip this dark
>secret:
>
>>Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the brake fluid changed awhile
>>back, per the36 months in the maintenance schedule. I didn't notice
>>any change in this intermittent problem after that... Also, this is
>>both the ABS and the VSC lights.
>>
>>Did your light come on when the car was stared, or while driving?
>>

>It would mostly just turn on while driving. I'd "reboot" the car and
>it would go away for a while. Another possibility with the TCS is
>tires. The TCS works by sampling the speed of each individual wheel.
>If one tire's circumference is different, due to a difference in wear
>or pressure for example, it could confuse the system. Well, anyway,
>it's a good theory!


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Oct 2005, 11:11 am
E Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

On 10/3/05 6:22 AM, in article ov42k1ljt7qlo3bjp5n9vt9ecbvu55jlee@4ax.com,
"Martin" <Martin> wrote:

> I don't think it's wheel speeds, etc. The VSA and ABS lights just
> don't go off when the car is started, before driving an inch...
>
>
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:52:42 -0400, Humma Kavula
> <hkavula@jatravartid.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:34:08 -0400, Martin <> let slip this dark
>> secret:
>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the brake fluid changed awhile
>>> back, per the36 months in the maintenance schedule. I didn't notice
>>> any change in this intermittent problem after that... Also, this is
>>> both the ABS and the VSC lights.
>>>
>>> Did your light come on when the car was stared, or while driving?
>>>

>> It would mostly just turn on while driving. I'd "reboot" the car and
>> it would go away for a while. Another possibility with the TCS is
>> tires. The TCS works by sampling the speed of each individual wheel.
>> If one tire's circumference is different, due to a difference in wear
>> or pressure for example, it could confuse the system. Well, anyway,
>> it's a good theory!

>


According to the manual for the 2000 TL, when both lights come on (on the
2000, its TCS & ABS) you should first diagnose the ABS problem. If the
lights are on, there is a code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try
your local AutoZone. In most places they will scan it for you free and get
the code.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2005, 07:23 am
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

The problem is that there are no codes stored...

On two occasions the lights have stayed on and I immediately took the
car to the Acura dealer and they hooked up the fancy Acura analyzer
that not only reads codes, but scans the car's barcode. Both times,
even though the lights were on while the analyzer was hooked up,
there were no codes in the computer.

So the question is, what can make the VSA and ABS lights stay on when
the car is started (they only come on then, not while the car is being
driven) without any codes being stored?

Restarting the car resets the lights and, to the extent one can judge
correct operation of the VSA and ABS systems from the driver's seat,
when the lights are off both systems seem to work fine. (I don't know
if they also work when the lights stay on.)

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:11:43 GMT, E Meyer <epmeyer50@msn.com> wrote:


>According to the manual for the 2000 TL, when both lights come on (on the
>2000, its TCS & ABS) you should first diagnose the ABS problem. If the
>lights are on, there is a code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try
>your local AutoZone. In most places they will scan it for you free and get
>the code.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2005, 09:07 pm
E Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

On 10/6/05 7:23 AM, in article s55ak1havb760v0n6ejm5fu82oqeaikf2h@4ax.com,
"Martin" <Martin> wrote:

> The problem is that there are no codes stored...
>
> On two occasions the lights have stayed on and I immediately took the
> car to the Acura dealer and they hooked up the fancy Acura analyzer
> that not only reads codes, but scans the car's barcode. Both times,
> even though the lights were on while the analyzer was hooked up,
> there were no codes in the computer.



I don't know what to tell you -- if the lights stay on, there should be a
code.


>
> So the question is, what can make the VSA and ABS lights stay on when
> the car is started (they only come on then, not while the car is being
> driven) without any codes being stored?
>

Since the ABS is used to operate the other system, certain ABS faults can
cause both lights to come on.

> Restarting the car resets the lights and, to the extent one can judge
> correct operation of the VSA and ABS systems from the driver's seat,
> when the lights are off both systems seem to work fine. (I don't know
> if they also work when the lights stay on.)



When the lights are on, their purpose is to alert you that those functions
are not working.


>
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:11:43 GMT, E Meyer <epmeyer50@msn.com> wrote:
>
>
>> According to the manual for the 2000 TL, when both lights come on (on the
>> 2000, its TCS & ABS) you should first diagnose the ABS problem. If the
>> lights are on, there is a code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try
>> your local AutoZone. In most places they will scan it for you free and get
>> the code.

>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2005, 09:51 pm
Martin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

The age old story of should vs. is!

A sharp diagnostician with schematics of the VSA/ABS system should be
able to figure it out.

I guess the answer is going to be to take it back to the dealer and
then they can call Acura and a subject matter expert can walk them
through the debug process...

The reason I'm trying to find an answer on my own is to avoid having
to pay for bogus non-warranty items that aren't really related to the
problem.


On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:07:01 GMT, E Meyer <epmeyer50@msn.com> wrote:

>On 10/6/05 7:23 AM, in article s55ak1havb760v0n6ejm5fu82oqeaikf2h@4ax.com,
>"Martin" <Martin> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that there are no codes stored...
>>
>> On two occasions the lights have stayed on and I immediately took the
>> car to the Acura dealer and they hooked up the fancy Acura analyzer
>> that not only reads codes, but scans the car's barcode. Both times,
>> even though the lights were on while the analyzer was hooked up,
>> there were no codes in the computer.

>
>
>I don't know what to tell you -- if the lights stay on, there should be a
>code.
>
>
>>
>> So the question is, what can make the VSA and ABS lights stay on when
>> the car is started (they only come on then, not while the car is being
>> driven) without any codes being stored?
>>

>Since the ABS is used to operate the other system, certain ABS faults can
>cause both lights to come on.
>
>> Restarting the car resets the lights and, to the extent one can judge
>> correct operation of the VSA and ABS systems from the driver's seat,
>> when the lights are off both systems seem to work fine. (I don't know
>> if they also work when the lights stay on.)

>
>
>When the lights are on, their purpose is to alert you that those functions
>are not working.
>
>
>>
>> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:11:43 GMT, E Meyer <epmeyer50@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> According to the manual for the 2000 TL, when both lights come on (on the
>>> 2000, its TCS & ABS) you should first diagnose the ABS problem. If the
>>> lights are on, there is a code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try
>>> your local AutoZone. In most places they will scan it for you free and get
>>> the code.

>>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2005, 10:06 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2002 TL-S VSA/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

<Martin> wrote in message news:v5obk1huk3en7j21id3jvroolcmsbvvel6@4ax.com...
> The age old story of should vs. is!
>
> A sharp diagnostician with schematics of the VSA/ABS system should be
> able to figure it out.
>
> I guess the answer is going to be to take it back to the dealer and
> then they can call Acura and a subject matter expert can walk them
> through the debug process...
>
> The reason I'm trying to find an answer on my own is to avoid having
> to pay for bogus non-warranty items that aren't really related to the
> problem.
>



If you want to try a cheap and easy long shot, a check for AC voltage across
the battery (with a DVM) will rule out the possibility that noise from a bad
alternator is driving those controllers wacky. With the engine running, a
good alternator (and good battery) will read under 0.1 volt AC - usually a
lot less. A bad alternator can read over a volt of AC... the last one I saw
read something like 2 VAC. Needless to say, if the AC voltage is elevated it
makes sense to try swapping the battery first, even though it is less likely
:-)

In a similar vein, a quick wiggle of the ends of the engine ground strap to
make sure it is making good connection is a good investment of your time.


Mike
>
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:07:01 GMT, E Meyer <epmeyer50@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>On 10/6/05 7:23 AM, in article s55ak1havb760v0n6ejm5fu82oqeaikf2h@4ax.com,
>>"Martin" <Martin> wrote:
>>
>>> The problem is that there are no codes stored...
>>>
>>> On two occasions the lights have stayed on and I immediately took the
>>> car to the Acura dealer and they hooked up the fancy Acura analyzer
>>> that not only reads codes, but scans the car's barcode. Both times,
>>> even though the lights were on while the analyzer was hooked up,
>>> there were no codes in the computer.

>>
>>
>>I don't know what to tell you -- if the lights stay on, there should be a
>>code.




Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dashboard warning lights - 2002 TL-S Gary Acura 1 06 Dec 2005 10:08 pm
Honda Odyssey: 1 second noise at 5 mph when started (started engine as well). varkiliy_jar Honda 2 9 19 Jul 2004 07:22 pm
Honda Odyssey: 1 second noise at 5 mph when started (started engine as well). varkiliy_jar Honda 3 9 19 Jul 2004 07:22 pm
Slugigsh/ Hard Gear Shift Selector CRV 2002 - Just started ??????? P S Honda 2 1 06 Apr 2004 04:32 pm
Slugigsh/ Hard Gear Shift Selector CRV 2002 - Just started ??????? P S Honda 3 1 06 Apr 2004 04:32 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.