Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31 Aug 2007, 08:44 am
Venture Rider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up

Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
$1,500!

My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
wait?

--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31 Aug 2007, 11:18 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up

Venture Rider <dontbother@bogus.dom> wrote in news:46d81b6b$0$7339$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
> $1,500!
>
> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
> wait?
>



Chances are you can probably get one more year out of the belt, BUT.

The big BUT is the probability of very expensive valve damage should the
belt slip. Your engine is an "interference" design, so if the belt should
jump a few teeth, the valves may contact the pistons. It's not a certainty
that they will contact, but more like a 50-50 chance.

Your decision will have to balance the benefits of delaying the expenditure
against the possibility that the belt may fail during the delay and you may
sustain a thousand dollars (or more) in valve damage.

The high cost of the job is probably because the of the amount of labor
necessary on your V6 engine. You may be able to get a better price (still
using OEM parts) at an independent garage.

However, I notice you're replacing a bunch of other parts, not just the
belt. What's the actual rundown from the quote you were given? Where is the
money going?

If it were me, I would not try to get one more year out of the belt, just
because of the potential financial downside. Are you a gambler? I'm not.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31 Aug 2007, 11:29 am
Venture Rider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:18:19 +0000 (UTC), Tegger said:

>Venture Rider <dontbother@bogus.dom> wrote in news:46d81b6b$0$7339$c3e8da3
>@news.astraweb.com:
>
>> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
>> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
>> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
>> $1,500!
>>
>> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
>> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
>> wait?
>>

>
>
>Chances are you can probably get one more year out of the belt, BUT.
>
>The big BUT is the probability of very expensive valve damage should the
>belt slip. Your engine is an "interference" design, so if the belt should
>jump a few teeth, the valves may contact the pistons. It's not a certainty
>that they will contact, but more like a 50-50 chance.
>
>Your decision will have to balance the benefits of delaying the expenditure
>against the possibility that the belt may fail during the delay and you may
>sustain a thousand dollars (or more) in valve damage.
>
>The high cost of the job is probably because the of the amount of labor
>necessary on your V6 engine. You may be able to get a better price (still
>using OEM parts) at an independent garage.
>
>However, I notice you're replacing a bunch of other parts, not just the
>belt. What's the actual rundown from the quote you were given? Where is the
>money going?
>
>If it were me, I would not try to get one more year out of the belt, just
>because of the potential financial downside. Are you a gambler? I'm not.


Thanks for the advice. It turns out the belt/water pump job is about
$850. With the valve adjustment, the plugs and a few other things
thrown in I'll be looking at about a $1000. I can handle that. I'll be
good for another 5 years. My car has not one spec of rust on it (and I
live in Canada!), and I take it to Krown every year, so $1000 is worth
it. And I love that car!

--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Aug 2007, 03:24 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up

Waiving the right to remain silent, Venture Rider <dontbother@bogus.dom>
said:

> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
> $1,500!
>
> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
> wait?


Isn't that more like about 58,000 miles..? I don't believe you'd need a new
timing belt at that mileage.

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Aug 2007, 08:25 pm
Dave L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up


"Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns999D88277E6E4thefrogprince@69.28.173.184.. .
> Waiving the right to remain silent, Venture Rider <dontbother@bogus.dom>
> said:
>
>> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
>> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
>> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
>> $1,500!
>>
>> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
>> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
>> wait?

>
> Isn't that more like about 58,000 miles..? I don't believe you'd need a
> new
> timing belt at that mileage.


He was right. 160,000km = 99419.39 miles
Either way - it's still 7 years old for the belt. I agree with Tegger's
advice. Valve damage is costly.

-Dave

>
> --
> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>
> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
> with all the privileges that this entails."



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2007, 12:39 am
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up

Waiving the right to remain silent, "Dave L" <davelieuREMOVEME@yahoo.com>
said:

> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns999D88277E6E4thefrogprince@69.28.173.184.. .
>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Venture Rider
>> <dontbother@bogus.dom> said:
>>
>>> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
>>> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
>>> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
>>> $1,500!
>>>
>>> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
>>> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
>>> wait?

>>
>> Isn't that more like about 58,000 miles..? I don't believe you'd need
>> a new timing belt at that mileage.

>
> He was right. 160,000km = 99419.39 miles


Yes, but *HE* has 58,000 miles on it.

> Either way - it's still 7 years old for the belt.


Does the age of the belt make more difference than it mileage..?

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Sep 2007, 09:50 am
Dave L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 TL Timing Belt/Tune-up


"Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns999DE645AA1C1thefrogprince@69.28.173.184.. .
> Waiving the right to remain silent, "Dave L" <davelieuREMOVEME@yahoo.com>
> said:
>
>> "Larry in AZ" <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns999D88277E6E4thefrogprince@69.28.173.184.. .
>>> Waiving the right to remain silent, Venture Rider
>>> <dontbother@bogus.dom> said:
>>>
>>>> Acura recommends the timing belt and water pump be changed at
>>>> 160,000km or 7 years. I plan on having that done plus the valves,
>>>> plugs, filters, etc. The cost here in Canada is $1,500. That's right,
>>>> $1,500!
>>>>
>>>> My 2001 TL will be 7 years old in December, but it only has 95,000km
>>>> on it (not quite 100,000 miles). Should I have this done or can it
>>>> wait?
>>>
>>> Isn't that more like about 58,000 miles..? I don't believe you'd need
>>> a new timing belt at that mileage.

>>
>> He was right. 160,000km = 99419.39 miles

>
> Yes, but *HE* has 58,000 miles on it.


You're right! Reading is fundamental. Me thinks I have to start studying
for "hook'd on foniks". I misread the op. Sorry!


>> Either way - it's still 7 years old for the belt.

>
> Does the age of the belt make more difference than it mileage..?


I don't know if it makes "more" difference but it still makes a difference.

Unfortunately I know from experience what happens to an interference engine
when the timing belt goes. Had a timing belt changed on an '89 prelude Si,
around 1999. The odo went up about 30k later, so I was strictly guaging
the mileage from the trip meter. (Picked up the car used, and suspect the
previous person tampered with the odo.) It went up around 2003 and
*approximately* 70k since the tb change. Ended up having a used engine from
Japan put in.

> --
> Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail
>
> "A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
> with all the privileges that this entails."



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Prelude timing belt esh Honda 3 7 06 Feb 2008 02:51 pm
2001 TL Timing Belt Venture Rider Acura 6 09 Oct 2006 06:27 am
Timing belt replacement - 2001 Accord LX precambrian Honda 2 8 24 Feb 2006 12:33 am
2001 civic timing belt & ? James Lewis Honda 2 2 30 Aug 2005 07:35 am
Tune-up and Timing Belt. vze33sg4@mail.verizon.net Honda 2 3 05 Oct 2003 05:48 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.