Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2004, 12:01 pm
Mikey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Canadian Acura Parts Prices vs USA!!!!

In searching for some sway bar end link bushings ( these are thick little
rubber washers/grommets) for an 89 Legend 4 door, the Candian dealer first
says that he wanted $12 CAD each. I need 8 of them for $96 CAD for all. This
price did not include new bolts, spacers and washers which would be an
additional $24 for a total of $120 CAD plus taxes.

A similar aftermarket part for a domestic car is around $20 to $30. There is
not much exotic engineering that goes into these. I started thinking.

Went online and found that a Genuine Acura Kit that has the same parts can
be had for around $16 US at the list price and the online price is less than
$12 US for the total set of parts.

I phoned up the dealer and enquired why the discrepancy?????? He says
Canadian Honda just sets the prices for whatever they want and he has no
control.

I also noticed in the last couple of years that parts for my car are always
dramatically cheaper in the USA, sometimes multiples. I think Canadian
owners are getting hosed in a big way.

Makes me wonder about my next car purchase.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2004, 12:26 pm
Bruno
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Canadian Acura Parts Prices vs USA!!!!

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:01:01 -0400, "Mikey" <%noospaam)mikling@eol.ca>
waived the right to be silent and professed:

>In searching for some sway bar end link bushings ( these are thick little
>rubber washers/grommets) for an 89 Legend 4 door, the Candian dealer first
>says that he wanted $12 CAD each. I need 8 of them for $96 CAD for all. This
>price did not include new bolts, spacers and washers which would be an
>additional $24 for a total of $120 CAD plus taxes.
>
>A similar aftermarket part for a domestic car is around $20 to $30. There is
>not much exotic engineering that goes into these. I started thinking.
>
>Went online and found that a Genuine Acura Kit that has the same parts can
>be had for around $16 US at the list price and the online price is less than
>$12 US for the total set of parts.
>
>I phoned up the dealer and enquired why the discrepancy?????? He says
>Canadian Honda just sets the prices for whatever they want and he has no
>control.
>
>I also noticed in the last couple of years that parts for my car are always
>dramatically cheaper in the USA, sometimes multiples. I think Canadian
>owners are getting hosed in a big way.
>
>Makes me wonder about my next car purchase.
>


It's the same for Yamaha motorcycle parts.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2004, 02:44 pm
WPWise
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Canadian Acura Parts Prices vs USA!!!!

>On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:01:01 -0400, "Mikey" <%noospaam)mikling@eol.ca>
>waived the right to be silent and professed:
>
>>In searching for some sway bar end link bushings ( these are thick little
>>rubber washers/grommets) for an 89 Legend 4 door, the Candian dealer first
>>says that he wanted $12 CAD each. I need 8 of them for $96 CAD for all. This
>>price did not include new bolts, spacers and washers which would be an
>>additional $24 for a total of $120 CAD plus taxes.
>>
>>A similar aftermarket part for a domestic car is around $20 to $30. There is
>>not much exotic engineering that goes into these. I started thinking.
>>
>>Went online and found that a Genuine Acura Kit that has the same parts can
>>be had for around $16 US at the list price and the online price is less than
>>$12 US for the total set of parts.
>>
>>I phoned up the dealer and enquired why the discrepancy?????? He says
>>Canadian Honda just sets the prices for whatever they want and he has no
>>control.
>>
>>I also noticed in the last couple of years that parts for my car are always
>>dramatically cheaper in the USA, sometimes multiples. I think Canadian
>>owners are getting hosed in a big way.
>>
>>Makes me wonder about my next car purchase.


Also keep in mind that even though it is an American car sold in Canada, the
parts might not be the right ones. I remember when I lived in Japan and had an
American Toyota Corona. I needed some part and tried to it via a Japanese
Toyota dealer, since Toyota is is from Japan. I was politely told that I had
to order the American part from the states as the Japanese version didn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2004, 04:09 pm
General Schvantzkoph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Canadian Acura Parts Prices vs USA!!!!


> Also keep in mind that even though it is an American car sold in Canada, the
> parts might not be the right ones. I remember when I lived in Japan and had an
> American Toyota Corona. I needed some part and tried to it via a Japanese
> Toyota dealer, since Toyota is is from Japan. I was politely told that I had
> to order the American part from the states as the Japanese version didn't work.


I can't imagine that Canadian cars differ from American ones in any
substantial way. The Canadian market is only 10% the size of the American
market so no one is going to build cars specially for Canada. There can be
small differences like daylight running lights but nothing major.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:54 pm
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Canadian Acura Parts Prices vs. USA!!!!

On 8/16/04 12:01 PM, in article BC5Uc.95772$3T5.94849@nntp-post.primus.ca,
"Mikey" <%noospaam)mikling@eol.ca> wrote:

> In searching for some sway bar end link bushings ( these are thick little
> rubber washers/grommets) for an 89 Legend 4 door, the Candian dealer first
> says that he wanted $12 CAD each. I need 8 of them for $96 CAD for all. This
> price did not include new bolts, spacers and washers which would be an
> additional $24 for a total of $120 CAD plus taxes.
>
> A similar aftermarket part for a domestic car is around $20 to $30. There is
> not much exotic engineering that goes into these. I started thinking.
>
> Went online and found that a Genuine Acura Kit that has the same parts can
> be had for around $16 US at the list price and the online price is less than
> $12 US for the total set of parts.
>
> I phoned up the dealer and enquired why the discrepancy?????? He says
> Canadian Honda just sets the prices for whatever they want and he has no
> control.
>
> I also noticed in the last couple of years that parts for my car are always
> dramatically cheaper in the USA, sometimes multiples. I think Canadian
> owners are getting hosed in a big way.
>
> Makes me wonder about my next car purchase.
>
>


I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US, the dealers set their
own prices. If you call two or three different dealers you will get a range
of prices anywhere from suggested list to 3X retail. Sometimes you can get
a 2X price change simply by talking to a different counter guy at the same
dealer. You might try calling a different dealer and see what sort of price
you can get.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best prices on the net for Honda parts? Gary Honda 3 7 27 Apr 2006 08:52 pm
Just called Napa Auto Parts in Langley - Main Relay $104 Canadian Rick Honda 3 10 21 Aug 2005 01:14 am
New Acura Parts, Low Prices, Fast Delivery! excap Acura 1 19 Aug 2005 01:56 pm
What's the best source for good prices on Honda parts? Gordon McGrew Honda 3 0 19 Feb 2005 05:20 pm
Canadian Parts Online TL Honda 3 0 17 Sep 2003 01:46 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.