Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2004, 01:05 am
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Break-in period recommendations

Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
around Acura's website but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
to go for such information?

Thanks,
Adam
Boston, MA
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2004, 10:50 am
Georgeny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

I have 04 TL - breakin don't nail engine or brakes for first 600 miles. That
was about it!

The http://acura-tl.com/ site is the place to go for information and
forum....

George in NY
Desert Mist - Ebony

"Adam" <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote in message
newsan.2004.06.13.06.05.47.799366@phreaker.net.. .
> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.
>
> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
> to go for such information?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
> Boston, MA



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2004, 06:48 pm
Rick K
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

"Adam" wrote:
> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.
>
> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
> to go for such information?


Many folks say that modern engines don't need much by way of
breaking in, but ... just in case:

Go easy first few hundred miles
Next 1000-1500 miles,
keep the speed down below 75,
keep the revs down,
and VARY the engine speed!

Don't drive a nice steady-state 60 mph for a long time (hours).
Drive 50 for 5 minutes, then 60 for ten, then 65 for 5,
then 55 for ten, then maybe 70, then 55 again, and so on.

It's not as hard as you might think, and easier to do with cruise control
off. The miles will go by quickly enough. The object is to get the engine
used to a variety of conditions and loads, and not let it get "set in its ways".

If I can get a 993cc/3 cylinder Daihatsu to last close to 200Kmi this way,
while hauling three people down the Interstate up and down hill at 75mph,
you can get 300Kmi out of your Acura. Good luck and have fun.

--
Rick K



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:13 pm
Joshua J. Belsky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.


> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
> to go for such information?


Don't worry. It's all in the instruction manual.


> Thanks,
> Adam
> Boston, MA


--
-Joshua Belsky
Email: At yahoo dot com, I am jjbelsky
http://belsky.net

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 04:42 pm
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:17 +0000, Joshua J. Belsky wrote:

> Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
>> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
>> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
>> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.

>
>> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
>> to go for such information?

>
> Don't worry. It's all in the instruction manual.


Well I am actually trying to time the purchase of the car around the
amount of time it'll need to be "broken in". It's a bit of a
push-and-shove trying to get the timing right, but if I knew the exact
manufacturer break-in recommendations and guidelines, I could finalize the
decision. I know it sounds complicated, but it's the situation I'm in
currently ..

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 06:47 pm
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

On 6/14/04 4:42 PM, in article pan.2004.06.14.21.42.43.956827@phreaker.net,
"Adam" <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:17 +0000, Joshua J. Belsky wrote:
>
>> Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
>>> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
>>> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
>>> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.

>>
>>> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
>>> to go for such information?

>>
>> Don't worry. It's all in the instruction manual.

>
> Well I am actually trying to time the purchase of the car around the
> amount of time it'll need to be "broken in". It's a bit of a
> push-and-shove trying to get the timing right, but if I knew the exact
> manufacturer break-in recommendations and guidelines, I could finalize the
> decision. I know it sounds complicated, but it's the situation I'm in
> currently ..
>
> Thanks,
> Adam


It doesn't sound complicated, it sounds totally screwy. What possible
difference could the break in recommendations make to the decision to buy a
new car. All Hondas/Acuras are going to have the same break-in protocol.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:20 pm
asahitoro@nospam.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

In article <BCF3A35A.84F3C%e52.meyer0SPAM@ieee.org>,
"E. Meyer" <e52.meyer0SPAM@ieee.org> wrote:

> On 6/14/04 4:42 PM, in article pan.2004.06.14.21.42.43.956827@phreaker.net,
> "Adam" <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:17 +0000, Joshua J. Belsky wrote:
> >
> >> Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
> >>> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
> >>> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I looked
> >>> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.
> >>
> >>> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the web
> >>> to go for such information?
> >>
> >> Don't worry. It's all in the instruction manual.

> >
> > Well I am actually trying to time the purchase of the car around the
> > amount of time it'll need to be "broken in". It's a bit of a
> > push-and-shove trying to get the timing right, but if I knew the exact
> > manufacturer break-in recommendations and guidelines, I could finalize the
> > decision. I know it sounds complicated, but it's the situation I'm in
> > currently ..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adam

>
> It doesn't sound complicated, it sounds totally screwy. What possible
> difference could the break in recommendations make to the decision to buy a
> new car. All Hondas/Acuras are going to have the same break-in protocol.


I think the OP is just trying to time his purchase. I was in a similar
situation when I got my TSX. My job requires 1.5-3 hour trips daily
back and forth, highway driving that is usually at constant speeds of
75+MPH (I75/southwest FL, any slower and you get run over). I timed my
purchase to when I had about a week off so that I could put at least 500
miles on the car under different conditions (varied speeds, under 75MPH,
etc.).

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:24 pm
Nick Cassimatis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

Makes sense to me. I waited until after the weekend were I was putting 800
miles on my vehicle to trade it in for my '04 MDX. I didn't want the
break-in period to all be at 65+mph.

Both my salesman and service manager told me to take it easy for the first
1000 miles. They said to avoid using the cruise for that period, don't
punch the gas too hard, and try not to hit the breaks too hard (unless I had
to) for that period. I believe the distance in the manual was shorter, but
I don't have it handy to check.

--
The Nickster

Think twice, type once.

"E. Meyer" <e52.meyer0SPAM@ieee.org> wrote in message
news:BCF3A35A.84F3C%e52.meyer0SPAM@ieee.org...
> On 6/14/04 4:42 PM, in article

pan.2004.06.14.21.42.43.956827@phreaker.net,
> "Adam" <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:17 +0000, Joshua J. Belsky wrote:
> >
> >> Adam <blueeskimo@phreaker.net> wrote:
> >>> Next month I will be buying either a TSX or TL (both 2004), and I'm
> >>> wondering what the factory break-in period recommendations are. I

looked
> >>> around Acura's website but didn't find anything.
> >>
> >>> Does anyone know what the recommendations are, or tell me where on the

web
> >>> to go for such information?
> >>
> >> Don't worry. It's all in the instruction manual.

> >
> > Well I am actually trying to time the purchase of the car around the
> > amount of time it'll need to be "broken in". It's a bit of a
> > push-and-shove trying to get the timing right, but if I knew the exact
> > manufacturer break-in recommendations and guidelines, I could finalize

the
> > decision. I know it sounds complicated, but it's the situation I'm in
> > currently ..
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adam

>
> It doesn't sound complicated, it sounds totally screwy. What possible
> difference could the break in recommendations make to the decision to buy

a
> new car. All Hondas/Acuras are going to have the same break-in protocol.
>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:20 pm
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:47:55 +0000, E. Meyer wrote:
> It doesn't sound complicated, it sounds totally screwy. What possible
> difference could the break in recommendations make to the decision to buy a
> new car. All Hondas/Acuras are going to have the same break-in protocol.


If you read what I said again, you'll see it's TIMING that's dependent on
the break-in procedures. I've already decided to buy; I'm just trying to
find the optimal time to do it. There are strong reasons not to buy too
early or too late, but that's not really important. I just need to know
what Acura recommends for the break-in ...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:22 pm
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Break-in period recommendations

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:20:45 +0000, asahitoro wrote:
> I think the OP is just trying to time his purchase. I was in a similar
> situation when I got my TSX. My job requires 1.5-3 hour trips daily
> back and forth, highway driving that is usually at constant speeds of
> 75+MPH (I75/southwest FL, any slower and you get run over). I timed my
> purchase to when I had about a week off so that I could put at least 500
> miles on the car under different conditions (varied speeds, under 75MPH,
> etc.).


Yes I am in a similar position, but throw in that I'm also trying to fix
credit issues, plus waiting for investment income, plus planning a long
trip in the next 2-3 months.

Thanks for your tips (and understanding).
Adam
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Break switch or break stopper piperspost@webtv.net Honda 2 8 01 Nov 2006 11:36 am
If Honda Makes Such a Reliable Car, Why is the Warranty Period RelativelyShort? John Horner Honda 2 9 15 Jul 2005 11:14 pm
New Pilot break in period Jim85CJ Honda 3 22 27 May 2004 04:34 pm
Break in period on tsx Greg Acura 5 05 Sep 2003 12:41 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.