Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Apr 2004, 10:46 pm
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Question: What Wax to use

Hi all:

I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint cure.

Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any consensus on what
wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to spend a whole
day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may actually be the
'best' way to go.)

Comments?

Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes, and Glass
Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of these
products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started cracking...)

George


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Apr 2004, 06:46 am
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use


"George" <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
news:1083ufrlkoioh74@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi all:
>
> I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint

cure.
>
> Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any

consensus on what
> wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to

spend a whole
> day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may

actually be the
> 'best' way to go.)
>
> Comments?
>
> Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes,

and Glass
> Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of

these
> products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started

cracking...)
>
> George


Hi George,

I am in the same situation then you. I, too, have a new RSX. How
long did you wait to "cure" the paint would be my first question.

Before I start, I must say that I am a little cheap so I like
value for my money. I have tried a lot of product in the last 10
years. I also subscribe to consumerreports.org and religiously
follow their advice when it comes to cars and products. I live in
Canada, where the weather if often extreme and, thus, I need to
take care of my car very very well.

Ok, for the wax I use two products that I alternate. I clean the
car with a car soap made by Turtle Wax. The cheapest there is and
it works very well (make sure it is is gentle enought and made
for car use). Once clean, my primary wax is Liquid Lustre, I had
had amazing results with it. It is pinkish wax that is really
easy to apply. The nice part, is that it does not smear if I
accidentally put some on the black trims or on plastic. It does
not leave residue either on the trims or in crevasses. It goes on
easily with a wet sponge and then swipe it out. It really last a
long time. I do mine every 3 months but I could wait a little
more if I needed to as the shell is really nice. (That reminds me
I need to buy some more!).

My secondary product is a coloured-wax (blue) made by turtle wax
(I think). It has a pigmentation that hides the minors scratches
I could have. It works very well. I use it when necessary,
probably 3 times a year. Since my car is new, I have no need for
it now.

As for the leather, I use Armour All, but the spray version. I
find it goes deeper in the seats then the wipes. I know about the
leather with our car, and you really need to make sure that the
leather gets a generous amount of protectant. The wipes wont cut
it. And for the windows, I use Bon Ami. Much better then the
wipes as well as it does not streak. In fact, it is the best
window cleaner in the world! Cheap and easy to use. It "foams" as
well, so I do protect my dashboard with a rag just in case. I
apply it, wipe it and then repear once.

On the dash board, which is of a different material, use a wet
rag with soap if I need to clean a stain. DO NOT USE Armor All
on it. If you only have dust to clean, a product to remove lints
on cloths (it looks like a "tape roll" that you roll over the
dash board). It picks everything up.

For the black trim, I use Mother's back to black.

Tires and mags, I use a el-cheapo generic mag and tire cleaner
(no rubbing necessary). It works well enought. Tires do not stay
clean long so whats the point of a super expensive product?

I do also have a product called California Duster. It really
works well when you only have dust on your car. It avoids
cleaning it all out by dusting it. The shine comes back real fast
too!

Frank


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Apr 2004, 09:33 pm
Kryptoknight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use

cured paint?? the water based paints of today need curing time, but by the
time the car is delivered the paint is cured. how odd they spray clearcoat
directly over the base coat without waiting very long for base to cure...

i use TurtleWax spritz in the spray bottle. can be used with very soft rag
to clean the car... after the dirt is off i use some spritz on a rag and i
buff lightly, leaving finish very very smooth.

"Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:dUtgc.111563$2oI1.36062@twister01.bloor.is.ne t.cable.rogers.com...
>
> "George" <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:1083ufrlkoioh74@corp.supernews.com...
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint

> cure.
> >
> > Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any

> consensus on what
> > wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to

> spend a whole
> > day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may

> actually be the
> > 'best' way to go.)
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes,

> and Glass
> > Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of

> these
> > products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started

> cracking...)
> >
> > George

>
> Hi George,
>
> I am in the same situation then you. I, too, have a new RSX. How
> long did you wait to "cure" the paint would be my first question.
>
> Before I start, I must say that I am a little cheap so I like
> value for my money. I have tried a lot of product in the last 10
> years. I also subscribe to consumerreports.org and religiously
> follow their advice when it comes to cars and products. I live in
> Canada, where the weather if often extreme and, thus, I need to
> take care of my car very very well.
>
> Ok, for the wax I use two products that I alternate. I clean the
> car with a car soap made by Turtle Wax. The cheapest there is and
> it works very well (make sure it is is gentle enought and made
> for car use). Once clean, my primary wax is Liquid Lustre, I had
> had amazing results with it. It is pinkish wax that is really
> easy to apply. The nice part, is that it does not smear if I
> accidentally put some on the black trims or on plastic. It does
> not leave residue either on the trims or in crevasses. It goes on
> easily with a wet sponge and then swipe it out. It really last a
> long time. I do mine every 3 months but I could wait a little
> more if I needed to as the shell is really nice. (That reminds me
> I need to buy some more!).
>
> My secondary product is a coloured-wax (blue) made by turtle wax
> (I think). It has a pigmentation that hides the minors scratches
> I could have. It works very well. I use it when necessary,
> probably 3 times a year. Since my car is new, I have no need for
> it now.
>
> As for the leather, I use Armour All, but the spray version. I
> find it goes deeper in the seats then the wipes. I know about the
> leather with our car, and you really need to make sure that the
> leather gets a generous amount of protectant. The wipes wont cut
> it. And for the windows, I use Bon Ami. Much better then the
> wipes as well as it does not streak. In fact, it is the best
> window cleaner in the world! Cheap and easy to use. It "foams" as
> well, so I do protect my dashboard with a rag just in case. I
> apply it, wipe it and then repear once.
>
> On the dash board, which is of a different material, use a wet
> rag with soap if I need to clean a stain. DO NOT USE Armor All
> on it. If you only have dust to clean, a product to remove lints
> on cloths (it looks like a "tape roll" that you roll over the
> dash board). It picks everything up.
>
> For the black trim, I use Mother's back to black.
>
> Tires and mags, I use a el-cheapo generic mag and tire cleaner
> (no rubbing necessary). It works well enought. Tires do not stay
> clean long so whats the point of a super expensive product?
>
> I do also have a product called California Duster. It really
> works well when you only have dust on your car. It avoids
> cleaning it all out by dusting it. The shine comes back real fast
> too!
>
> Frank
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Apr 2004, 11:55 pm
Dave M.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use


I use a descendent of the top rated Prestone Bullet Wax. This wax splashes
and spills easily, so you have to be careful.


"Kryptoknight" <kryptoknight@att.net> wrote in message
news:EZ%gc.5338$um3.142697@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> cured paint?? the water based paints of today need curing time, but by

the
> time the car is delivered the paint is cured. how odd they spray clearcoat
> directly over the base coat without waiting very long for base to cure...
>
> i use TurtleWax spritz in the spray bottle. can be used with very soft rag
> to clean the car... after the dirt is off i use some spritz on a rag and i
> buff lightly, leaving finish very very smooth.
>
> "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:dUtgc.111563$2oI1.36062@twister01.bloor.is.ne t.cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > "George" <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
> > news:1083ufrlkoioh74@corp.supernews.com...
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint

> > cure.
> > >
> > > Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any

> > consensus on what
> > > wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to

> > spend a whole
> > > day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may

> > actually be the
> > > 'best' way to go.)
> > >
> > > Comments?
> > >
> > > Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes,

> > and Glass
> > > Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of

> > these
> > > products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started

> > cracking...)
> > >
> > > George

> >
> > Hi George,
> >
> > I am in the same situation then you. I, too, have a new RSX. How
> > long did you wait to "cure" the paint would be my first question.
> >
> > Before I start, I must say that I am a little cheap so I like
> > value for my money. I have tried a lot of product in the last 10
> > years. I also subscribe to consumerreports.org and religiously
> > follow their advice when it comes to cars and products. I live in
> > Canada, where the weather if often extreme and, thus, I need to
> > take care of my car very very well.
> >
> > Ok, for the wax I use two products that I alternate. I clean the
> > car with a car soap made by Turtle Wax. The cheapest there is and
> > it works very well (make sure it is is gentle enought and made
> > for car use). Once clean, my primary wax is Liquid Lustre, I had
> > had amazing results with it. It is pinkish wax that is really
> > easy to apply. The nice part, is that it does not smear if I
> > accidentally put some on the black trims or on plastic. It does
> > not leave residue either on the trims or in crevasses. It goes on
> > easily with a wet sponge and then swipe it out. It really last a
> > long time. I do mine every 3 months but I could wait a little
> > more if I needed to as the shell is really nice. (That reminds me
> > I need to buy some more!).
> >
> > My secondary product is a coloured-wax (blue) made by turtle wax
> > (I think). It has a pigmentation that hides the minors scratches
> > I could have. It works very well. I use it when necessary,
> > probably 3 times a year. Since my car is new, I have no need for
> > it now.
> >
> > As for the leather, I use Armour All, but the spray version. I
> > find it goes deeper in the seats then the wipes. I know about the
> > leather with our car, and you really need to make sure that the
> > leather gets a generous amount of protectant. The wipes wont cut
> > it. And for the windows, I use Bon Ami. Much better then the
> > wipes as well as it does not streak. In fact, it is the best
> > window cleaner in the world! Cheap and easy to use. It "foams" as
> > well, so I do protect my dashboard with a rag just in case. I
> > apply it, wipe it and then repear once.
> >
> > On the dash board, which is of a different material, use a wet
> > rag with soap if I need to clean a stain. DO NOT USE Armor All
> > on it. If you only have dust to clean, a product to remove lints
> > on cloths (it looks like a "tape roll" that you roll over the
> > dash board). It picks everything up.
> >
> > For the black trim, I use Mother's back to black.
> >
> > Tires and mags, I use a el-cheapo generic mag and tire cleaner
> > (no rubbing necessary). It works well enought. Tires do not stay
> > clean long so whats the point of a super expensive product?
> >
> > I do also have a product called California Duster. It really
> > works well when you only have dust on your car. It avoids
> > cleaning it all out by dusting it. The shine comes back real fast
> > too!
> >
> > Frank
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:19 pm
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use

Thanks to all who posted me. I have a pretty good idea which way to go.

BTW - I gave my car 6 months for the factory paint to cure before posting.

George

"George" <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
news:1083ufrlkoioh74@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi all:
>
> I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint cure.
>
> Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any consensus on

what
> wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to spend a

whole
> day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may actually be the
> 'best' way to go.)
>
> Comments?
>
> Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes, and Glass
> Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of these
> products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started cracking...)
>
> George
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Apr 2004, 05:18 am
Bill Freeman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use

Acura paints have contained epoxy resin for over a decade and need
no curing as such. Epoxy additives (which are $$), produce a hard, durable,
stainless paint surface. Highly recommend using Nu Finish. 1) Have a
clean, dry surface (as with any wax, polish). 2) "Cover" with Nu Finish, do
NOT rub. 3) Let Nu Finish DRY completely (like leave it for 1/2 hour). If
you rub it in thinking you'll get a better shine .. . nope. If you don't
let it dry completely it's difficult to remove and doesn't provide the
protection it should. Product does what it states (i.e. as Consumer Reports
states). Nu Finish stands up to heat, U/V and salt.


George <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
news:108h3co89vtqpe1@corp.supernews.com...
> Thanks to all who posted me. I have a pretty good idea which way to go.
>
> BTW - I gave my car 6 months for the factory paint to cure before posting.
>
> George
>
> "George" <gmenzie@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:1083ufrlkoioh74@corp.supernews.com...
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint cure.
> >
> > Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any consensus on

> what
> > wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to spend a

> whole
> > day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may actually be

the
> > 'best' way to go.)
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes, and Glass
> > Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of these
> > products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started cracking...)
> >
> > George
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2004, 05:29 pm
Pact-9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question: What Wax to use

Check out www.zainostore.com. It might seem overwhelming, but it
lasts a while and the shine is just great!

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:46:02 -0700, "George" <gmenzie@charter.net>
wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>I guess I've had my RSX long enough to let the factory paint cure.
>
>Now, I think I need to put a coat of wax on. Is there any consensus on what
>wax to use? I'm not a lazy person, but I don't really want to spend a whole
>day rubbing out a hard shell type wax. (Although that may actually be the
>'best' way to go.)
>
>Comments?
>
>Also - I bought containers of Armor-All's Leather Seat Wipes, and Glass
>Cleaner sheets. Anyone have any experience with either one of these
>products? (So far my RSX leather seats have not started cracking...)
>
>George
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Yik Yak Honda 3 0 23 Apr 2005 03:23 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.