Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 Apr 2004, 04:55 am
Raab Himself
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

When I bought my Acura last May I belonged to AAA because having a 12yo car
made it a wise investment. My new RSX came with Acura's Roadside Assistance.
The AAA membership just came up for renewal and I'm thinking I can toss it,
but I just wanted to check here to see if anyone has ever used Acura
Roadside Assistance and has had a particularly bad experience with them.

I assume that Acura has simply licensed the roadside services of a
third-party company that provides the roadside help. I just can't imagine
that Acura owners, especially those of new cars, would have to use such a
service very often, but in the event that I ever have to use them, I want to
know that they will be at least equal to what AAA provides.

Thanks for any help.

Raab



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Apr 2004, 09:02 am
George in NY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

I am new to both Acura and Roadside Assistance, however, a friend just had
occassion to call Acura Roadside Assistance and he has absolutely NOTHING
GOOD to say about them. I was considering finally getting AAA even though I
always drive a car under three years old. Just because I am at that point I
would not be happy about changing a tire in the snow on some highway at 2 am
and because friends that are AAA members usually rave about them. When I got
the 04 TL with Roadside I figured save a couple of pennies not joining AAA
but now may rethink that.

Friends interaction with Acura Roadside Assistance:

Couple of weeks ago, Putnam County NY, Cold Spring NY. Driving his 03 TL,
18,000 miles on odometer, transmission failed. Felt like had come out of
gear, vehicle would barely move. Many know that previous years transmissions
have been of concern, hoping personally that 04 has corrected the problem.

7 PM on a Friday, calls 1-800 for Acura Roadside. Advised that shows no tow
service listed in that area. Will be happy to dispatch local Cold Spring
Police to Assist. ( Hell can call cops himself ) Okay, this is not farmland!
Not top of some mountain! He is 20 miles from his Acura dealer, Heart Acura
Poughkeepsie. Maybe 40 miles from my Acura dealer Curry Acura Scarsdale. I
point that out because TWO Acura dealers not all that far away. Although
Putnam County is for most part bedroom county his location is well within
reasonable distance of several major metro size areas. I can't believe they
have no contract for tow. Certainly his Dealer 20 miles away from where he
is stuck should have either thier own flatbed or a local contract I would
think. Calls his dealer HEART Acura and is advised that only sales on site
at 7 pm and can't help him accept graciously agree to wait for him to arrive
so they can issue a loaner car. He managed to pray the car into his
dealership slowly but surely and did get crap loaner. Told to come back
Monday and he could get Rent a Car.

So Much for ACURA ROADSIDE in this case. He has already sworn off Acura and
is getting a second Lexus in place of his TL.

This is only one case but one I knew about recently. I too would be
interested in anyone else that has had occassion to use Acura Roadside
Assistance. It was given good play by my dealer during purchase and I would
like to know also if I should consider it BS sales tool and go ahead and
join AAA.

George in NY



"Raab Himself" <Raab@House.of.Raab> wrote in message
news:1dydnapImZi3BfPdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> When I bought my Acura last May I belonged to AAA because having a 12yo

car
> made it a wise investment. My new RSX came with Acura's Roadside

Assistance.
> The AAA membership just came up for renewal and I'm thinking I can toss

it,
> but I just wanted to check here to see if anyone has ever used Acura
> Roadside Assistance and has had a particularly bad experience with them.
>
> I assume that Acura has simply licensed the roadside services of a
> third-party company that provides the roadside help. I just can't imagine
> that Acura owners, especially those of new cars, would have to use such a
> service very often, but in the event that I ever have to use them, I want

to
> know that they will be at least equal to what AAA provides.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Raab
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Apr 2004, 12:18 pm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

Over the course of my 36 month lease and driving 26K miles with my GSR I
needed to call Acura roadside assistance 3 times.

1: At 9:00am I went through a huge pothole at 40mph on a state/city highway
(Grand Central Pkwy for those of you familiar with NYC) and blew out the
left front tire. I pulled off on the shoulder and called roadside
assistance.
The operator to ld me I was on a restricted road and that she can't send
anyone other that the city approved tow service. She made the call for me
and acted as a liaison. After about 30 minutes the roadside assistance
operator called me back to tell me the tow truck would be there in 10
minutes. The truck pulled over while I was still on the phone with the
operator. My 'home' Acura dealer was approximately 40 miles away. Even
though there was another Acura dealer who was closer, the operator told me I
could have the car towed to my dealer and then submit the $229 bill for
reimbursement. I question her about this because it's a lot of money to pay
for towing.
Guess what?? after a couple of weeks a check arrived in the mail from Acura
for $229 . I forgot to mention that the tire was replaced (and I got a FREE
tire rotation) and the car was ready in a reasonable amount of time hand
washed.

2: Developed a loud screeching noise from the left front brake caliper. The
car only had 15K miles on it and I don't beat on the car so I felt there's
no way I am wiping the rotor and would need front brakes. I pulled into a
Mobil station and called Acura roadside and explained the problem. They
dispatched the truck and told me it would be about 30 minutes. The mechanics
were showing up for work at the gas station and I explained the situation to
one of them. I noticed that he was driving the same car as mine so I felt
comfortable letting him take a look. He found a glass shard lodged between
the rotor and the brake pad. He removed it and said "no charge". I gave him
a $20 tip to start his day. I called Acura and cancelled the service call.

3: Someone came into my office and told me my right rear tire was flat. I
took a look and was able to see the large nail embedded in the tire. I
called roadside and they dispatched a truck. He changed my flat tire in 15
minutes and went on his way.

My three experiences were positive with prompt, courteous, and professional
service. - I know a lot has to do with the fact that I've only called from a
major city. Not so sure they can be as good in the 'burbs or country. You
should need roadside help very infrequently, however, you need to feel
confident that someone will be there to help when you need it. I've only
heard good things about AAA. Perhaps AAA is a good backup.

BTW I've owned a 2004 TL 5AT Navi for 1 week / 300 miles. What I don't
understand is if I commute 10 miles each way to work 5 days a week I should
only have 100 miles on the car. The point is this car is a BLAST to drive. I
have been taking the long way home everyday. IMHO, Acura has hit the
bull's-eye with this car.




"George in NY" <georgeny@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
news:OlAbc.6414$W57.19@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> I am new to both Acura and Roadside Assistance, however, a friend just had
> occassion to call Acura Roadside Assistance and he has absolutely NOTHING
> GOOD to say about them. I was considering finally getting AAA even though

I
> always drive a car under three years old. Just because I am at that point

I
> would not be happy about changing a tire in the snow on some highway at 2

am
> and because friends that are AAA members usually rave about them. When I

got
> the 04 TL with Roadside I figured save a couple of pennies not joining AAA
> but now may rethink that.
>
> Friends interaction with Acura Roadside Assistance:
>
> Couple of weeks ago, Putnam County NY, Cold Spring NY. Driving his 03 TL,
> 18,000 miles on odometer, transmission failed. Felt like had come out of
> gear, vehicle would barely move. Many know that previous years

transmissions
> have been of concern, hoping personally that 04 has corrected the problem.


>
> 7 PM on a Friday, calls 1-800 for Acura Roadside. Advised that shows no

tow
> service listed in that area. Will be happy to dispatch local Cold Spring
> Police to Assist. ( Hell can call cops himself ) Okay, this is not

farmland!
> Not top of some mountain! He is 20 miles from his Acura dealer, Heart

Acura
> Poughkeepsie. Maybe 40 miles from my Acura dealer Curry Acura Scarsdale. I
> point that out because TWO Acura dealers not all that far away. Although
> Putnam County is for most part bedroom county his location is well within
> reasonable distance of several major metro size areas. I can't believe

they
> have no contract for tow. Certainly his Dealer 20 miles away from where he
> is stuck should have either thier own flatbed or a local contract I would
> think. Calls his dealer HEART Acura and is advised that only sales on site
> at 7 pm and can't help him accept graciously agree to wait for him to

arrive
> so they can issue a loaner car. He managed to pray the car into his
> dealership slowly but surely and did get crap loaner. Told to come back
> Monday and he could get Rent a Car.
>
> So Much for ACURA ROADSIDE in this case. He has already sworn off Acura

and
> is getting a second Lexus in place of his TL.
>
> This is only one case but one I knew about recently. I too would be
> interested in anyone else that has had occassion to use Acura Roadside
> Assistance. It was given good play by my dealer during purchase and I

would
> like to know also if I should consider it BS sales tool and go ahead and
> join AAA.
>
> George in NY
>
>
>
> "Raab Himself" <Raab@House.of.Raab> wrote in message
> news:1dydnapImZi3BfPdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> > When I bought my Acura last May I belonged to AAA because having a 12yo

> car
> > made it a wise investment. My new RSX came with Acura's Roadside

> Assistance.
> > The AAA membership just came up for renewal and I'm thinking I can toss

> it,
> > but I just wanted to check here to see if anyone has ever used Acura
> > Roadside Assistance and has had a particularly bad experience with them.
> >
> > I assume that Acura has simply licensed the roadside services of a
> > third-party company that provides the roadside help. I just can't

imagine
> > that Acura owners, especially those of new cars, would have to use such

a
> > service very often, but in the event that I ever have to use them, I

want
> to
> > know that they will be at least equal to what AAA provides.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Raab
> >
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Apr 2004, 07:44 pm
Raab Himself
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

"George in NY" <georgeny@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
news:OlAbc.6414$W57.19@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> I am new to both Acura and Roadside Assistance, however, a friend just had
> occassion to call Acura Roadside Assistance and he has absolutely NOTHING
> GOOD to say about them. I was considering finally getting AAA even though

I
> always drive a car under three years old. Just because I am at that point

I
> would not be happy about changing a tire in the snow on some highway at 2

am
> and because friends that are AAA members usually rave about them. When I

got
> the 04 TL with Roadside I figured save a couple of pennies not joining AAA
> but now may rethink that.


(Story omitted for space)
>
> So Much for ACURA ROADSIDE in this case. He has already sworn off Acura

and
> is getting a second Lexus in place of his TL.
>
> This is only one case but one I knew about recently. I too would be
> interested in anyone else that has had occassion to use Acura Roadside
> Assistance. It was given good play by my dealer during purchase and I

would
> like to know also if I should consider it BS sales tool and go ahead and
> join AAA.
>
> George in NY


Thanks, George. This is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about. I
have been with AAA for about 5 years and have always been happy with their
service. I guess I shouldn't look at Acura's Roadside as a 1:1 replacement.
I'll renew my AAA and use Acura's service as a backup.

Raab


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04 Apr 2004, 06:22 pm
-nobody-
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

My new CL was hit in the Home Depot parking lot. Hit and run, front end
knocked off. Not driveable.
Acura Roadside could not / would not help - would not even tell me of a tow
truck company I could call.
They have been real good about arranging a tow for my two failed
transmissions in 50K miles...

"Raab Himself" <Raab@House.of.Raab> wrote in message
news:1dydnapImZi3BfPdRVn-jA@comcast.com...
> When I bought my Acura last May I belonged to AAA because having a 12yo

car
> made it a wise investment. My new RSX came with Acura's Roadside

Assistance.
> The AAA membership just came up for renewal and I'm thinking I can toss

it,
> but I just wanted to check here to see if anyone has ever used Acura
> Roadside Assistance and has had a particularly bad experience with them.
>
> I assume that Acura has simply licensed the roadside services of a
> third-party company that provides the roadside help. I just can't imagine
> that Acura owners, especially those of new cars, would have to use such a
> service very often, but in the event that I ever have to use them, I want

to
> know that they will be at least equal to what AAA provides.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Raab
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2004, 03:52 pm
George in NY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

Hahahahah, for a minute I thought you were going to say that odometer was
off or messed up. Now I know exactly what you are saying. Just came back
from a short 262 mile roundtrip hop to Casino in CT. Loved every minute on
road and for the first time in years got out of the car at home and was able
to straighten out without a moan. In fact started to do my moaning act as I
arose from the drivers seat and suddenly realized nothing ached. That alone
was worth buying the 04 TL !

> BTW I've owned a 2004 TL 5AT Navi for 1 week / 300 miles. What I don't
> understand is if I commute 10 miles each way to work 5 days a week I

should
> only have 100 miles on the car. The point is this car is a BLAST to drive.

I
> have been taking the long way home everyday. IMHO, Acura has hit the
> bull's-eye with this car.




Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2004, 03:56 pm
George in NY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

Obviously a mixed bag. Posted the question on http://www.acura-tl.com as
well, also mixed reviews, but on AAA also. Best answer is to have both I
would guess, as you said. I think I will signup for AAA myself and have
both.

George in NY


> Thanks, George. This is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about. I
> have been with AAA for about 5 years and have always been happy with their
> service. I guess I shouldn't look at Acura's Roadside as a 1:1

replacement.
> I'll renew my AAA and use Acura's service as a backup.
>
> Raab
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need assistance replacing my cracked Windshield! SK Honda 2 4 20 Dec 2005 07:19 pm
Talked with Acura Headquarters re: 2004 Acura TL Tire Problem rll Acura 2 10 Nov 2004 04:24 pm
Roadside Assistance and trip interruption claims dharmadam Acura 0 10 Aug 2004 12:37 pm
Need Assistance on Purchase of Honda Pilot 2004 in California westcoastbeginner Honda 3 12 13 May 2004 08:03 pm
Need assistance from creative types for lic plate. Alan Smith Honda 3 12 17 Dec 2003 07:45 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.