Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 01:34 pm
Integra LS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

Good Afternoon everyone,

I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.

Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
as well ?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 04:35 pm
mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

the "whir" could be from the ABS pump? I hear it alot too (94 GSR).

ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote in message news:<3d8082aa.0403061134.7204c1a4@posting.google. com>...
> Good Afternoon everyone,
>
> I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
> ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
> left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
> what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
> that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
> put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
> and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
> information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.
>
> Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
> brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
> as well ?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 09:20 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote in
news:3d8082aa.0403061134.7204c1a4@posting.google.c om:

> Good Afternoon everyone,
>
> I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
> ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
> left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
> what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
> that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
> put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
> and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
> information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.
>
> Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
> brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
> as well ?


When's the last time you had the brake linings checked?
You can look yourself,a Haynes or other service manual has thickness specs.
You could also have a stuck/sticking caliper,if the wear is uneven between
both pads on either side of the rotor.
Best check them out,brakes are IMPORTANT!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 09:51 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

Integra LS wrote:
> Good Afternoon everyone,
>
> I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
> ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
> left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
> what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
> that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
> put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
> and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
> information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.
>
> Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
> brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
> as well ?


===============
The manual describes the noise, but you should read up on it to
determine of it's out of the ordinary. Have you tested your dash lamps
to be sure they are working?

'Curly'

==============

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 11:07 pm
IceCube
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

I had that as well on my 1991. However, it quickly goes away? If
it sounds like a relatively loud squitch-whir it is the pump.

"mike" <imbalzan2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:795f2067.0403061435.3d32525e@posting.google.c om...
> the "whir" could be from the ABS pump? I hear it alot too (94

GSR).
>
> ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote in message

news:<3d8082aa.0403061134.7204c1a4@posting.google. com>...
> > Good Afternoon everyone,
> >
> > I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on

it. When
> > ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as

I turn
> > left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound.

Any ideas
> > what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been

pathetic,but
> > that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens

everytime I
> > put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a

second
> > and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive.

Any
> > information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.
> >
> > Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise

when I
> > brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues

on that
> > as well ?



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 11:51 pm
Lex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

could be the poser steering pump or rack
"Integra LS" <ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3d8082aa.0403061134.7204c1a4@posting.google.c om...
> Good Afternoon everyone,
>
> I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
> ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
> left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
> what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
> that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
> put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
> and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
> information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.
>
> Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
> brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
> as well ?



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2004, 12:49 am
Barry S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:51:30 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Integra LS wrote:
>> Good Afternoon everyone,
>>
>> I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
>> ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
>> left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
>> what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but


ABS modulator.. If it stays on long enough you should see an ABS
light. It would sound like a semi-loud buzzing from the passenger
side engine compartment..Could also be air in the system.

>> that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
>> put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
>> and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
>> information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.


Well, when the car starts up, the modulator pumps up pressure. The
sound is normal.

>> Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
>> brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
>> as well ?


You need to have your brakes inspected immediately.

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2004, 04:41 am
George Macdonald
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

On 6 Mar 2004 11:34:09 -0800, ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote:

>Good Afternoon everyone,
>
>I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
>ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
>left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
>what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
>that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
>put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
>and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
>information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.


It's the ABS pump - every time you start the engine, it'll activate to
pressurize the modulator chambers when your speed gets to 6kph. It should
last only a second or less unless your ABS system has a problem. You'll
also hear it every time the ABS activates, for a longer time, depending on
how long your in a skid condition.

>Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
>brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
>as well ?


Check the rotors for scoring, corrosion or wear. A grinding noise is
normal for the first few applications after being parked in wet/humid
weather. If there is a lip of corrosion around the edge of the rotor
(usual), the grinding can last longer, i.e. more applications. You can try
taking that lip of corrosion off with a Dremel tool to see how much actual
wear of the rotor there is, meaning how big the lip really is on the metal.

I'll add here that the rear rotors on my '99 Integra GS corroded very
badly, first noticed at <20K miles and it got worse with time. Eventually
they became crusty and very badly scored, with only a few streaks of
polished surface area from the pads. At ~40K miles, I recently replaced
them with Brembo OE rotors and discovered that they had been the source of
my "warped rotor" syndrome - surprising, since I'd assumed I had bad front
rotors.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2004, 11:07 am
Integra LS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

Good work guys. The summary of the information each of you provide
would explain why my brakes have had frequent changings. From what
you've shared with me I'd like to ask several other questions on how
to remedy the problem.

1. Jim Yanik
Brake linings... ? I'm not familiar with these and what would need to
be done with them ? Would the mechanic be able to do this without too
much trouble ?

2. Curly Q Links
Would you recommend having my braking fluid flushed to remove any air
that maybe in the system ?

3. Lex
You said could be the poser steering pump or rack. What could be done
about that or how can I check if it is that @ all? My handling has
been sloppier lately,but I assumed from the brakes ? Any ideas on
prices for parts and labor on a job like this ? It's already going to
be a pretty penny for this brake job I seem looming on the verizon...

4. George MacDonald
I like your suggestion of the Brembo OEM Pads. What's a worst case
scenario on a braking job (rotors,pads,calipers,etc) ? I'm honestly
assuming the rotors themselves will need replacement all around. The
back ones are definitely gone from your information you've given. How
much would a job hourly wise be for replacing all the rotors and brake
pads on my 98 Integra LS be ? I figure I'll buy those Brembo products
you recommended and provide them to the mechanic to put on. Any other
products you would recommend. Thanks for your help on this.

Thanks again all for your help with this. You've all been extremely
helpful. Now if anyone can help me get my milage to where it was when
I first got this car I would be in heaven. Would valve adjustments
help this out ? So that'll be my next question after this brake job
has been done. How do I get my throttle response and gas mileage
better to when I first got my car. Many Thanks !






George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote in message news:<tltl40p3892tn7602p12ioapp83b23hfdb@4ax.com>. ..
> On 6 Mar 2004 11:34:09 -0800, ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote:
>
> >Good Afternoon everyone,
> >
> >I have a 98 Acura Integra LS w/ Automatic tranny has 75K on it. When
> >ever I start my car be it a cold start or just restarting as I turn
> >left to pull out to the road I hear a small whirring sound. Any ideas
> >what it could be ? Lately, my milage performance has been pathetic,but
> >that could be due to my driving style. The whir happens everytime I
> >put the car in the DRIVE and pull away and then "whir" for a second
> >and then it stops no more sound for the rest of the drive. Any
> >information anyone could provide would be awesome with this.

>
> It's the ABS pump - every time you start the engine, it'll activate to
> pressurize the modulator chambers when your speed gets to 6kph. It should
> last only a second or less unless your ABS system has a problem. You'll
> also hear it every time the ABS activates, for a longer time, depending on
> how long your in a skid condition.
>
> >Also, unrelated my brakes have been making a grinding noise when I
> >brake lately and my stopping has been mediocre at best. Clues on that
> >as well ?

>
> Check the rotors for scoring, corrosion or wear. A grinding noise is
> normal for the first few applications after being parked in wet/humid
> weather. If there is a lip of corrosion around the edge of the rotor
> (usual), the grinding can last longer, i.e. more applications. You can try
> taking that lip of corrosion off with a Dremel tool to see how much actual
> wear of the rotor there is, meaning how big the lip really is on the metal.
>
> I'll add here that the rear rotors on my '99 Integra GS corroded very
> badly, first noticed at <20K miles and it got worse with time. Eventually
> they became crusty and very badly scored, with only a few streaks of
> polished surface area from the pads. At ~40K miles, I recently replaced
> them with Brembo OE rotors and discovered that they had been the source of
> my "warped rotor" syndrome - surprising, since I'd assumed I had bad front
> rotors.
>
> Rgds, George Macdonald
>
> "Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07 Mar 2004, 11:46 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ?

ramzi_tamimi@yahoo.com (Integra LS) wrote in
news:3d8082aa.0403070907.57d191b5@posting.google.c om:

> Good work guys. The summary of the information each of you provide
> would explain why my brakes have had frequent changings. From what
> you've shared with me I'd like to ask several other questions on how
> to remedy the problem.
>
> 1. Jim Yanik
> Brake linings... ? I'm not familiar with these and what would need to
> be done with them ? Would the mechanic be able to do this without too
> much trouble ?


Disc brake pads are easy to replace,any mechanic should be able to do it.If
your rotors are too deeply grooved,you may need to replace the rotors,too.
Rotors 'can' be lathe-turned to smooth them,BUT only once,then the rotor is
too thin to be legally turned again,and some on this NG would rather just
replace the rotors.
The Haynes or other service manual will have the procedure for changing
brake pads.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We want to hear from Sport Compact tuners and racers - 16 Volt partsmore Honda 3 0 09 Dec 2005 03:56 pm
Ever hear of The Turbonator? MinnesotaMike Honda 2 9 15 Sep 2005 01:11 am
Click sound from wheels, Integra aerorea Honda 3 3 14 May 2005 02:49 pm
What's That Whir Sound I Hear in My Integra ... ? Integra LS Honda 3 9 07 Mar 2004 11:46 am
New Odyssey - first time I apply brakes in morning I hear "clack", "clack" from rear brakes - should I be concerned? BeamGuy Honda 3 7 20 Nov 2003 01:56 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.