Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:14 pm
renva
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default overheating Acura Legend LS


Have 92 Acura Legend.

Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
fine again. But it kept repeating itself.

could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
could also be a blown gasket?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!


--
renva
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via RealCarAudio.com - The checkmate of the caraudio community.
http://www.RealCarAudio.com
renva's Profile: http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=2212
View this thread: http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11442

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Oct 2003, 09:23 pm
Elbert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS


on the face of things it sounds like a faulty thermostat...

don't drive the car anymore unitl you can look at it yourself or have
it towed to a shop. You can seriously damage the engine if the
thermostat fails.

What leads me to belive the thermostat is the problem is that you say
one hose is hot while another is cold....

I would replace the thermostat and gasket right off the bat and make
sure the car runs ok...and the thermostat is working properly without
ever leaving the shop...

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:14:40 GMT, renva <renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com>
wrote:

>
>Have 92 Acura Legend.
>
>Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
>Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
>appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
>scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
>When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
>the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
>going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
>refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
>fine again. But it kept repeating itself.
>
>could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
>could also be a blown gasket?
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated!!!


----
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil
remove ** to email

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2003, 10:53 am
Doug Holtz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS

Renva;

Do your fans run when the engine starts to get hotter than normal? They
should both run. I had a problem this summer in the 90 degree weather where
my fans didn't run and the engine overheated. I replaced the fan control
unit and all was well. Of course, this won't happen if you are driving fast
enough to keep air going thru the radiator.30 mph or faster should be enough
IMHO.

Your upper radiator hose is where all the temperatures are; this is where
the water from the engine comes back to the radiator to get cooled. This
hose will fail long before the lower radiator hose, which is cooler because
the water has gone thru the radiator to get cooled down. This cooler water
goes into the engine to cool it off. If you are experiencing hot top hose,
spitting/overflowing from the overflow receptacle, then I'd suspect the fans
don't come on anymore. It doesn't happen all the time (in my case, only
when I was starting and stopping in very hot weather in a downtown city
environment).

Doug

"renva" <renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com> wrote in message
news:renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com...
>
> Have 92 Acura Legend.
>
> Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
> Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
> appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
> scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
> When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
> the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
> going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
> refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
> fine again. But it kept repeating itself.
>
> could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
> could also be a blown gasket?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
>
>
> --
> renva
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via RealCarAudio.com - The checkmate of the caraudio community.
> http://www.RealCarAudio.com
> renva's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=2212
> View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11442
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2003, 04:05 pm
aabush
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS

ill have to agree with the blown [ or warped head] gasket since it was
overheated then you fixed the problem now its spitting it out the over flow.
a blown head gasket can pump compression into the cooling system which over
pressures the cap and sends coolant into the tank which in return your
eventually low on coolant and makes it overheat. their is a test to see if
this is the case I think I would have that test done.also when engine is
shut off the coolant can go into the cylinder and the next time you start it
will burn allot of coolant for a few minutes
"renva" <renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com> wrote in message
news:renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com...
>
> Have 92 Acura Legend.
>
> Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
> Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
> appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
> scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
> When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
> the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
> going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
> refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
> fine again. But it kept repeating itself.
>
> could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
> could also be a blown gasket?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
>
>
> --
> renva
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via RealCarAudio.com - The checkmate of the caraudio community.
> http://www.RealCarAudio.com
> renva's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=2212
> View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11442
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Oct 2003, 09:40 pm
Doug Holtz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS

aabush;

This is not an accurate assessment of a blown head gasket. A correct
assessment is either leaking coolant from the gasket area onto the engine or
burning in the engine, with white smoke going out the tailpipe. It does not
cause coolant to be pushed out of the recovery tank. See my post above.

Doug

"aabush" <aabush@chartermi.net> wrote in message
news:vpllrnpcs1i32e@corp.supernews.com...
> ill have to agree with the blown [ or warped head] gasket since it was
> overheated then you fixed the problem now its spitting it out the over

flow.
> a blown head gasket can pump compression into the cooling system which

over
> pressures the cap and sends coolant into the tank which in return your
> eventually low on coolant and makes it overheat. their is a test to see if
> this is the case I think I would have that test done.also when engine is
> shut off the coolant can go into the cylinder and the next time you start

it
> will burn allot of coolant for a few minutes
> "renva" <renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com> wrote in message
> news:renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com...
> >
> > Have 92 Acura Legend.
> >
> > Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
> > Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
> > appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
> > scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
> > When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
> > the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
> > going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
> > refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
> > fine again. But it kept repeating itself.
> >
> > could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
> > could also be a blown gasket?
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
> >
> >
> > --
> > renva
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Posted via RealCarAudio.com - The checkmate of the caraudio community.
> > http://www.RealCarAudio.com
> > renva's Profile:

> http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=2212
> > View this thread:

> http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...threadid=11442
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:38 pm
walter_e_haller@sbcglobal.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS

I have a '92 Acura that had an overheating problem similar to yours. I
had the thermostat replaced, the radiator and all the hoses replaced
and it still overheated. Finally a technician found combustion gasses
in the coolant. There was no white smoke going out of the tailpipe and
the coolant was blown out of the overflow tank contrary to what Doug
stated in his response. The head gasket on the right side was
deteriorating and causing the problem. Replacing both gaskets solved
the problem. This may be your problem. Have the coolant checked for
combustion gasses.
Good luck, Regards Wallie
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:16 pm
Doug Holtz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS


<walter_e_haller@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:3F9C76B8.591CDFB4@sbcglobal.net...
> I have a '92 Acura that had an overheating problem similar to yours. I
> had the thermostat replaced, the radiator and all the hoses replaced
> and it still overheated. Finally a technician found combustion gasses
> in the coolant. There was no white smoke going out of the tailpipe and
> the coolant was blown out of the overflow tank contrary to what Doug
> stated in his response. The head gasket on the right side was
> deteriorating and causing the problem. Replacing both gaskets solved
> the problem. This may be your problem. Have the coolant checked for
> combustion gasses.
> Good luck, Regards Wallie


Wallie;

I needed a fan control unit for my car. Radiator, heads, thermostat, etc
were all good.

Doug


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2003, 06:52 pm
btolland@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: overheating Acura Legend LS

Renva,

I've got a 93 Legend ... I've had similar problems w/ steam, loss of
coolant, and now oil leakign into radior which I'm told are result of
the head gasket needing to be replaced. Did you get your's replaced,
if so what did it cost, and is it worth getting it done ?

Thanks,

Brian

renva <renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com> wrote in message news:<renva.vrfiz@realcaraudio.com>...
> Have 92 Acura Legend.
>
> Had a cracked radiator that lead to waterloss and overheating.
> Changed radiator and thermostat, blead the system off air and it
> appeared to be running fine. it was running cold as in about 20% on my
> scale. After about 100 hard miles it slowly started overheating again.
> When I stopped Radiator was very hot and so was the upper hose going to
> the engine. Funny thing was that lower hose was cold. I also had steam
> going into the overflow tank. Added a little water (1/2 Gallon to
> refill the radiatort and waited 10 minutes and then the engine was
> fine again. But it kept repeating itself.
>
> could it be the water pump? how do I check it? Friend said that it
> could also be a blown gasket?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acura-Legend.com? ghia01 Acura 1 18 Sep 2005 11:37 pm
92 Acura Legend Intermittent Overheating But No Coolant Loss???? Alan Acura 11 16 Feb 2005 09:15 am
Acura V-6 overheating.. Steve Jones Acura 3 10 Oct 2003 02:59 am
89 Legend overheating Doug Holtz Acura 6 30 Jul 2003 09:26 pm
new used '89 acura legend L Jay Sparks Acura 5 27 Jul 2003 07:24 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.