Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 01:06 am
Gabriel Afana
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I had
them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
warped again. This is because when I changed my front brakes...I replaced
the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.

I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months back...which I
did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake again!!!!!
WTF is going on? This is crap if I have to deal with warped rotors just as
often as an oil change.

Gabe



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 01:37 am
Don in Phoenix, AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

"Gabriel Afana" <adtomi@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:0u5jb.13610$YO5.6191188@news3.news.adelphia.n et...
> Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I

had
> them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
> warped again. This is because when I changed my front brakes...I replaced
> the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.
>
> I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months back...which

I
> did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake again!!!!!
> WTF is going on? This is crap if I have to deal with warped rotors just

as
> often as an oil change.
>
> Gabe


Gabe,

Make sure that your wheel lugs are tightened to the correct torque. If you
overtighten the lug nuts, it can cause the rotors to warp.

Don


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 02:10 am
Gabriel Afana
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!


"Don in Phoenix, AZ" <DJDixon1@cox.net> wrote in message
news:SX5jb.115$B_2.3@okepread02...
> "Gabriel Afana" <adtomi@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:0u5jb.13610$YO5.6191188@news3.news.adelphia.n et...
> > Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I

> had
> > them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
> > warped again. This is because when I changed my front brakes...I

replaced
> > the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.
> >
> > I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months

back...which
> I
> > did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake

again!!!!!
> > WTF is going on? This is crap if I have to deal with warped rotors just

> as
> > often as an oil change.
> >
> > Gabe

>
> Gabe,
>
> Make sure that your wheel lugs are tightened to the correct torque. If

you
> overtighten the lug nuts, it can cause the rotors to warp.
>
> Don
>
>


But I tightened them by hand and im far from the strongest man on earth.
think I couldn't have still over-tightened? If so....think a turning on
these rotors (brand new brembos) will be alright and have a pro put the
tires on? Also...i've kept the same brake pads through all of it....think
those should be changed (only ask because a mechanic a while back said if
the rotor is warped...the pads are warped and all needs to be change....but
that sounded like BS to me)?

Thanks!

Gabe


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:43 am
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

You don't need to be the strongest man on earth. The lug nuts need to all
be the same torque, around 90 ft-lbs (probably). Assuming that you are
using a lug wrench that is at least a foot long and that you weigh at least
100 pounds, then you are more than able to over tighten them.


>
> But I tightened them by hand and im far from the strongest man on earth.
> think I couldn't have still over-tightened? If so....think a turning on
> these rotors (brand new brembos) will be alright and have a pro put the
> tires on? Also...i've kept the same brake pads through all of it....think
> those should be changed (only ask because a mechanic a while back said if
> the rotor is warped...the pads are warped and all needs to be

change....but
> that sounded like BS to me)?
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 10:12 am
John Ings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:06:52 GMT, "Gabriel Afana"
<adtomi@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I had
>them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
>warped again.


Of course! Never turn Honda rotors. Replace them.

> This is because when I changed my front brakes...I replaced
>the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.


Maybe.

>I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months back...which I
>did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake again!!!!!


Under what conditions? Normal driving? Brakes cold or hot?
Steering wheel shake only? What about pedal pulsations?




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:11 pm
Curtis Newton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:06:52 GMT, "Gabriel Afana"
<adtomi@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I had
>them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
>warped again. This is because when I changed my front brakes...I replaced
>the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.
>
>I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months back...which I
>did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake again!!!!!
>WTF is going on? This is crap if I have to deal with warped rotors just as
>often as an oil change.
>




What kind of pads are you using?

The only reason I ask, when I went with "lifetime" aftermarket pads, I
was experiencing warped rotors on my Acura Integra.

I went back to OEM pads, never happened again.



-
--
Curtis Newton
cnewton@remove-me.akaMail.com
http://surf.to/cnewton
<delete remove-me. to respond to email>
ICQ: 4899169
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:12 pm
Franz Bestuchev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

Curtis Newton wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:06:52 GMT, "Gabriel Afana"
> <adtomi@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Hey everybody.....my rotors on my '99 TL warped several months ago so I had
>>them turned and that solved the problem. Some months after that....they
>>warped again. This is because when I changed my front brakes...I replaced
>>the pads with high-end ceramic pads which killed the stock rotors.
>>
>>I decided to buy the Brembo rotors from TireRack a few months back...which I
>>did....and just today I noticed the steering starting to shake again!!!!!
>>WTF is going on? This is crap if I have to deal with warped rotors just as
>>often as an oil change.
>>

>
>
>
>
> What kind of pads are you using?
>
> The only reason I ask, when I went with "lifetime" aftermarket pads, I
> was experiencing warped rotors on my Acura Integra.
>
> I went back to OEM pads, never happened again.
>
>
>
> -
> --
> Curtis Newton
> cnewton@remove-me.akaMail.com
> http://surf.to/cnewton
> <delete remove-me. to respond to email>
> ICQ: 4899169


I'm running Brembo rotors with stock pads on a 91 'Teg...good brake
response and no warping, FWIW.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:42 am
Gabriel Afana
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

Please refer to my post above "Bad News Everybody"


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Oct 2003, 12:14 pm
Franz Bestuchev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WTF!?!?! Rotors warped again!

Gabriel Afana wrote:

> Please refer to my post above "Bad News Everybody"
>
>

glad you're safe and that you didn't hurt anybody.

now your car's warped, so the rotors match

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warped Rotors(again) Cherokee Honda 2 5 29 Apr 2006 09:50 pm
Warped Rotors? James Silva Honda 3 5 06 Jan 2004 07:15 pm
Warped Rotors Tom Honda 3 41 10 Dec 2003 04:08 pm
95 Accord - 3 sets of warped rotors. Philip Honda 3 1 17 Oct 2003 07:57 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.