Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 12:12 am
Johnny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help a newbie

Hello folks...

Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for work
as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much
to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had two
cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo) with
72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both.
He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would
be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am not
expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem near
mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
direction, it would help me out a lot.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 05:53 am
John Ings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:12:40 -0500, "Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello folks...
>
>Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for work
>as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
>drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much
>to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had two
>cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
>89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo) with
>72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
>deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both.
>He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
>wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
>know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would
>be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am not
>expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem near
>mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
>nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
>direction, it would help me out a lot.


I can't tell you about the Porsche, but that GSR was due for a timing
belt just about three years ago. Did it get one? If there are no
service records, it would be wise to change it, and that's not cheap.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 07:02 am
Devils Advocate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie

don't buy the porche unless you have lots of money to maintain it when
things go wrong......not to underestimate the cost of mainenance of the gsr,
but it is much lower than a porche.
"John Ings" <nodamned@spam.org> wrote in message
news:t7faovcnscadchom0vkj5qdev5kbvge207@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:12:40 -0500, "Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello folks...
> >
> >Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for

work
> >as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
> >drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got

much
> >to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had

two
> >cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
> >89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo)

with
> >72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
> >deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed

both.
> >He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
> >wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
> >know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura

would
> >be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am

not
> >expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem

near
> >mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
> >nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
> >direction, it would help me out a lot.

>
> I can't tell you about the Porsche, but that GSR was due for a timing
> belt just about three years ago. Did it get one? If there are no
> service records, it would be wise to change it, and that's not cheap.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 08:53 am
DH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie

In article <bm2qob$d5t$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
"Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello folks...
>
> Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for work
> as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
> drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much
> to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had two
> cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
> 89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo) with
> 72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
> deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both.
> He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
> wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
> know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would
> be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am not
> expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem near
> mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
> nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
> direction, it would help me out a lot.
>
>
>


My buddy spent $5000 in maintenance on his mid 90's 944 last year.
There nice cars, but the Porsche will ultimately cost you significantly
more money.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 10:34 am
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie

On 10/9/03 5:53 AM, in article t7faovcnscadchom0vkj5qdev5kbvge207@4ax.com,
"John Ings" <nodamned@spam.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:12:40 -0500, "Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello folks...
>>
>> Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for work
>> as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
>> drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much
>> to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had two
>> cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
>> 89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo) with
>> 72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
>> deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both.
>> He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
>> wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
>> know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would
>> be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am not
>> expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem near
>> mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
>> nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
>> direction, it would help me out a lot.

>
> I can't tell you about the Porsche, but that GSR was due for a timing
> belt just about three years ago. Did it get one? If there are no
> service records, it would be wise to change it, and that's not cheap.
>
>
>


If this is from a dealer, the think to do would be to negotiate a timing
belt into the deal.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 04:43 pm
Rudy L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie

Smart people buy Porsche. Its zinc coated body will last years and years
longer than the Acura. The Porsche will keep its value. The Porsche has a
250,000 mile water cooled engine that is one of the most powerful four
cylinders ever put into production. The Porsche interior will still be
looking new while the Acuras will be driving you crazy after that plastic
knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time. The Porsche design is
timeless, the Acura is just another car from the Japanese copy cat series
that will rust after 5 years of ownership. Most importantly, buy the
Porsche and you will be able to say you have a car made by one of the
premier automakers on the globe.


"Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bm2qob$d5t$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> Hello folks...
>
> Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for

work
> as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun to
> drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got much
> to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had

two
> cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED) with
> 89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo)

with
> 72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a great
> deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed both.
> He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
> wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really don't
> know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura would
> be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am

not
> expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem

near
> mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just as
> nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
> direction, it would help me out a lot.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 08:27 pm
Mookey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie (troll)

Rudy L wrote:

> Smart people buy Porsche. Its zinc coated body will last years and years
> longer than the Acura. The Porsche will keep its value. The Porsche has a
> 250,000 mile water cooled engine that is one of the most powerful four
> cylinders ever put into production. The Porsche interior will still be
> looking new while the Acuras will be driving you crazy after that plastic
> knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time. The Porsche design is
> timeless, the Acura is just another car from the Japanese copy cat series
> that will rust after 5 years of ownership. Most importantly, buy the
> Porsche and you will be able to say you have a car made by one of the
> premier automakers on the globe.


Psycho, quit arguing with yourself.

What an pathetic troll you are.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2003, 09:26 pm
Rudy L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie (troll)

Why? because I prefer a Porsche over an a Acura? He asked for advise and i
gave it.


"Mookey" <nobuddies@biznus.com> wrote in message
news:3F860B14.1AC248F6@biznus.com...
> Rudy L wrote:
>
> > Smart people buy Porsche. Its zinc coated body will last years and

years
> > longer than the Acura. The Porsche will keep its value. The Porsche

has a
> > 250,000 mile water cooled engine that is one of the most powerful four
> > cylinders ever put into production. The Porsche interior will still be
> > looking new while the Acuras will be driving you crazy after that

plastic
> > knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time. The Porsche design

is
> > timeless, the Acura is just another car from the Japanese copy cat

series
> > that will rust after 5 years of ownership. Most importantly, buy the
> > Porsche and you will be able to say you have a car made by one of the
> > premier automakers on the globe.

>
> Psycho, quit arguing with yourself.
>
> What an pathetic troll you are.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2003, 01:57 am
Paul Spencer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help a newbie (troll)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:27:49 GMT, Mookey <nobuddies@biznus.com> wrote:

>Psycho, quit arguing with yourself.
>
>What an pathetic troll you are.
>

If anyone was trolling, it was the original poster, who cross-posted
to the two groups rather than asking separately.

--
P
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:56 pm
bandabee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Get an Integra!

I own a 94 integra, and i don't know what plastic knob you're talking about
but nothing in my car has broken off or broken down anymore than any car
that is nearly 10 years old. I still get compliments on my car, and it
looks like new. Since gen3 was made up to 99, if kept in good shape it can
look like a young car. i have no major complaints about my car. ask me
anything about it.

Porsche, on the other hand, is Porsche. If you have the money to upkeep it,
then do it. I don't know much about them, but it's true I think in that it
will probably last longer, WITH THE RIGHT maintenance. But 1987, means it's
already 16 years old.

It's like how my mom loves mercedes. Porsche is a different CLASS
altogether with integra. It's about what you love, and what you wouldn't
mind spending time in. My mom tried to get me to sell my car for a 96
mercedes (which she eventually bought herself anyway) but ... i love my car,
that's the bottom line. i have driven the merc a few times, and yes it's
nice and all, but in the end, i prefer to drive mine.

Which also leads me to ask, how's gas consumption on the porsche? my car
gets about 28-36mpg city/highway.

Anyway...
--
http://www.geocities.com/bandabee
b a n d a b e e <at> y a h o o <dot> c o m
"Rudy L" <rudyl233@mailscape.com> wrote in message
news:bm4kqs$ld9$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> Smart people buy Porsche. Its zinc coated body will last years and years
> longer than the Acura. The Porsche will keep its value. The Porsche has

a
> 250,000 mile water cooled engine that is one of the most powerful four
> cylinders ever put into production. The Porsche interior will still be
> looking new while the Acuras will be driving you crazy after that plastic
> knob breaks off in your hand for the millionth time. The Porsche design

is
> timeless, the Acura is just another car from the Japanese copy cat series
> that will rust after 5 years of ownership. Most importantly, buy the
> Porsche and you will be able to say you have a car made by one of the
> premier automakers on the globe.
>
>
> "Johnny" <farmer1969@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:bm2qob$d5t$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> > Hello folks...
> >
> > Let me warn you, I am not a car expert. Right now I drive a truck for

> work
> > as a daily driver, but I am in the market for something sporty and fun

to
> > drive for under 10,000 dollars. Living in a small town, I don't got

much
> > to pick from. I went down to our small used car lot today and they had

> two
> > cars that appealed to me. One was a 1994 Acura Integra (GSR 5-SPEED)

with
> > 89,000 miles. Right next to it was a 1987 Porsche 944 (5-speed, turbo)

> with
> > 72,000 miles. The Acura was priced at $4995 and the Porsche was "a

great
> > deal" at $5500. The salesman let me drive them both, and I enjoyed

both.
> > He told me the Porsche just had a service done 10,000 miles ago, and he
> > wasn't sure about the Acura. I've never owned an import. I really

don't
> > know which car would be the better choice, I want to think the Acura

would
> > be easier to work on but thats a guess. Being as this is my "fun" I am

> not
> > expecting a car with quartz reliability, but that Porsche sure did seem

> near
> > mint for a car that old. Must have good build quality. Acura was just

as
> > nice but wasn't as old. Any pointers that could lead me in the right
> > direction, it would help me out a lot.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much $ are Pilots going for (newbie question) Kurt Honda 3 1 06 Jan 2005 06:24 pm
Newbie car trouble Stephen Bory Honda 2 2 28 May 2004 04:12 pm
newbie questions... Robert Blank Honda 3 8 21 Dec 2003 03:32 am
Some questions from a newbie... Robert Blank Honda 2 4 18 Dec 2003 02:38 pm
NSX Newbie Question Mikeygmoed Acura 2 26 Oct 2003 12:48 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.