Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Aug 2003, 05:47 pm
Andy H
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 98 integra timing belt

My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it changed? Is
it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What happens
if I skip it and it breaks while driving?

This was my first new car, and I want to make sure I take care of it, but
don't want to throw money away.




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:39 am
Vlad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 integra timing belt

That looks like a very high price to pay even on Canadian dollars, for
a timing belt and water pump change. I can't recall the price of that
change on my Integra 91 , on a Acura dealer , less than a year ago,
but wasn't that much.

Vlad


On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:51 -0400, "Andy H" <athorvath@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
>change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it changed? Is
>it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What happens
>if I skip it and it breaks while driving?
>
>This was my first new car, and I want to make sure I take care of it, but
>don't want to throw money away.
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Aug 2003, 09:37 pm
Dan-O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 CL timing belt

My '98 CL 2.3 manual says replace timing belt at 104,000 miles, but inspect
and adjust drive belts every 30,000 miles. I am confused. Would this check
include the timing belt? My mechanic says Hondas need timing belt checks
(there's more than one, for balance shafts and such) at 100,000 km and that
the labour cost is more than the parts so if it costs money to crack the
engine open to look at it, might as well replace at least the main one.
What is the proper interval?

"Vlad" <Vlad@bla.Bla.com> wrote in message
news:ll6fjvg579gsq3a4nmjdrm036h00abh63k@4ax.com...
> That looks like a very high price to pay even on Canadian dollars, for
> a timing belt and water pump change. I can't recall the price of that
> change on my Integra 91 , on a Acura dealer , less than a year ago,
> but wasn't that much.
>
> Vlad
>
>
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:51 -0400, "Andy H" <athorvath@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
> >change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it changed?

Is
> >it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What

happens
> >if I skip it and it breaks while driving?
> >
> >This was my first new car, and I want to make sure I take care of it, but
> >don't want to throw money away.
> >
> >
> >

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:01 pm
Barry S.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 integra timing belt

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:51 -0400, "Andy H" <athorvath@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
>change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it changed? Is
>it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What happens
>if I skip it and it breaks while driving?


I'd advised getting it changed. If it fails, you risk serious engine
damage.

I've done a couple. See http://timingbelt.soben.com for an idea of
what is involved.

Belt is around $70 USD and the "labor time" is supposedly about 3
hours. My labor time ended up being a little different. I recommend
inspecting/replacing the water pump while doing the timing belt.

Also, $700 is what dealers like to charge for a 90k/105k/major service
or similar -- get a breakdown of what it covers and shop around.

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:24 pm
E. Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 CL timing belt

When they say inspect and adjust drive belts, they mean the accessory belts
- the ones that used to be called fan belts. There is no requirement to
routinely check the timing belt.

Honda lengthened the interval for changing the timing belt from 60,000 miles
(100,000 KM) to 90,000 miles, then to 105,000 miles (130,000 km). Your
mechanic is about 10 years out of date on the mileage.

Some of the four cylinder engines have balancer belts. I believe yours is
one of them. When you change the timing belt, it is a good idea to change
the balancer belt and the water pump as well, since they are all in there
together with the timing belt.

On 8/11/03 9:37 PM, in article gpYZa.1304$yL3.865@nntp-post.primus.ca,
"Dan-O" <dardeline@primus.ca> wrote:

> My '98 CL 2.3 manual says replace timing belt at 104,000 miles, but inspect
> and adjust drive belts every 30,000 miles. I am confused. Would this check
> include the timing belt? My mechanic says Hondas need timing belt checks
> (there's more than one, for balance shafts and such) at 100,000 km and that
> the labour cost is more than the parts so if it costs money to crack the
> engine open to look at it, might as well replace at least the main one.
> What is the proper interval?
>
> "Vlad" <Vlad@bla.Bla.com> wrote in message
> news:ll6fjvg579gsq3a4nmjdrm036h00abh63k@4ax.com...
>> That looks like a very high price to pay even on Canadian dollars, for
>> a timing belt and water pump change. I can't recall the price of that
>> change on my Integra 91 , on a Acura dealer , less than a year ago,
>> but wasn't that much.
>>
>> Vlad
>>
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:51 -0400, "Andy H" <athorvath@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
>>> change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it changed?

> Is
>>> it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What

> happens
>>> if I skip it and it breaks while driving?
>>>
>>> This was my first new car, and I want to make sure I take care of it, but
>>> don't want to throw money away.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2003, 10:09 pm
Dan-O
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 CL timing belt

Yup, looks like I have another 30,000 km to go.. Most people had told me
100,000 km. I think this 2.3 definitely has balance shafts. Incidentally,
I heard that the Acura RSX and Honda Civic SI-R have the same engine but the
RSX lacks a balance shaft.. strange.


"E. Meyer" <e.meyer@ieee.org> wrote in message
news:BB5EA91F.ADF6%e.meyer@ieee.org...
> When they say inspect and adjust drive belts, they mean the accessory

belts
> - the ones that used to be called fan belts. There is no requirement to
> routinely check the timing belt.
>
> Honda lengthened the interval for changing the timing belt from 60,000

miles
> (100,000 KM) to 90,000 miles, then to 105,000 miles (130,000 km). Your
> mechanic is about 10 years out of date on the mileage.
>
> Some of the four cylinder engines have balancer belts. I believe yours is
> one of them. When you change the timing belt, it is a good idea to change
> the balancer belt and the water pump as well, since they are all in there
> together with the timing belt.
>
> On 8/11/03 9:37 PM, in article gpYZa.1304$yL3.865@nntp-post.primus.ca,
> "Dan-O" <dardeline@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> > My '98 CL 2.3 manual says replace timing belt at 104,000 miles, but

inspect
> > and adjust drive belts every 30,000 miles. I am confused. Would this

check
> > include the timing belt? My mechanic says Hondas need timing belt

checks
> > (there's more than one, for balance shafts and such) at 100,000 km and

that
> > the labour cost is more than the parts so if it costs money to crack the
> > engine open to look at it, might as well replace at least the main one.
> > What is the proper interval?
> >
> > "Vlad" <Vlad@bla.Bla.com> wrote in message
> > news:ll6fjvg579gsq3a4nmjdrm036h00abh63k@4ax.com...
> >> That looks like a very high price to pay even on Canadian dollars, for
> >> a timing belt and water pump change. I can't recall the price of that
> >> change on my Integra 91 , on a Acura dealer , less than a year ago,
> >> but wasn't that much.
> >>
> >> Vlad
> >>
> >>
> >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:51 -0400, "Andy H" <athorvath@yahoo.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> My 98 LS 5 speed (96K miles) is nearing the interval for a timing belt
> >>> change (105K). What are the thoughts out there about getting it

changed?
> > Is
> >>> it worth the big price tag ($700)? Has anyone not replaced it? What

> > happens
> >>> if I skip it and it breaks while driving?
> >>>
> >>> This was my first new car, and I want to make sure I take care of it,

but
> >>> don't want to throw money away.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>

> >
> >

>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing belt for 98 Integra GS-R no22 Acura 5 25 Jan 2005 10:15 am
94 Integra Timing Belt BigBadBob Acura 2 29 Oct 2004 03:07 pm
99 Integra Timing Belt tony thomas Acura 1 15 Oct 2004 07:05 pm
Integra timing belt CZ Acura 4 27 Jul 2003 12:58 pm
Integra timing belt CZ Acura 3 11 Jul 2003 08:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.