Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2003, 01:43 pm
skydigger123@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

Does anyone know approximately how much horsepower the A/C unit draws?
I notice a big difference going up hills now that I'm using the air
conditioning. Combined with my former 94 Chevron gas down to 87 cheap
crap, the car seems like a slug now.

'02 Premium.

thx!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2003, 01:52 pm
Mikey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

You young uns need to understand this, Take a light car with a small
displacement engine that has enhanced breathing at high rpms to extract more
power, and you've got the wrong formula for air conditioning. Totally wrong.
AC units require nearly the same amount of power regardless of engine speed
this is so because you need the "most" cooling in stop and go traffic. So
that is what it is set up for. Unfortunately at low rpms, engines like the
RSX are at itheir worse. If you had a diesel, it would pull better than an a
RSX in stop and go. Diesels hardly notice the AC load in stop and go- huge
torque at low rpms even with half the Hp of the RSX. Next car, and you'll be
smarter.
<skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
> Does anyone know approximately how much horsepower the A/C unit draws?
> I notice a big difference going up hills now that I'm using the air
> conditioning. Combined with my former 94 Chevron gas down to 87 cheap
> crap, the car seems like a slug now.
>
> '02 Premium.
>
> thx!



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2003, 07:16 pm
Franz Bestuchev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

Mikey wrote:

> You young uns need to understand this, Take a light car with a small
> displacement engine that has enhanced breathing at high rpms to extract more
> power, and you've got the wrong formula for air conditioning. Totally wrong.
> AC units require nearly the same amount of power regardless of engine speed
> this is so because you need the "most" cooling in stop and go traffic. So
> that is what it is set up for. Unfortunately at low rpms, engines like the
> RSX are at itheir worse. If you had a diesel, it would pull better than an a
> RSX in stop and go. Diesels hardly notice the AC load in stop and go- huge
> torque at low rpms even with half the Hp of the RSX. Next car, and you'll be
> smarter.
> <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
>

snip
>


Gah! I was trying to explain this exact point about a/c compressors and
their power draw to a buddy just last night.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2003, 09:25 pm
Bill Freeman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

The term you're looking for is "torque curve" against hp. General
rule-of-thumb is -5% for auto trans, -5% for a/c .. . all other things
being equal. The amount of torque (i.e. pulling power, not the acceleration
or "hp") available is what you'll feel. Remember, horsepower is just the
swiftness at which the torque is extracted from the engine. .. not it's idel
pulling power.

"Franz Bestuchev" <fbestuchev@n05p4m.userealsugar.com> wrote in message
news:bgphd3$mv3$2@peabody.colorado.edu...
> Mikey wrote:
>
> > You young uns need to understand this, Take a light car with a small
> > displacement engine that has enhanced breathing at high rpms to extract

more
> > power, and you've got the wrong formula for air conditioning. Totally

wrong.
> > AC units require nearly the same amount of power regardless of engine

speed
> > this is so because you need the "most" cooling in stop and go traffic.

So
> > that is what it is set up for. Unfortunately at low rpms, engines like

the
> > RSX are at itheir worse. If you had a diesel, it would pull better than

an a
> > RSX in stop and go. Diesels hardly notice the AC load in stop and go-

huge
> > torque at low rpms even with half the Hp of the RSX. Next car, and

you'll be
> > smarter.
> > <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
> >

> snip
> >

>
> Gah! I was trying to explain this exact point about a/c compressors and
> their power draw to a buddy just last night.
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Aug 2003, 10:37 pm
Mikey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

Bill, those are averages over the whole rpm range. At low rpms off idle, the
loading is much more dramatic, necessitating automatic adjustments of the
ECU thru the EICV. While idling, the load is still there and just off idle,
the load is dramatically more, again you don't feel it stall because the ecu
is compensating. The 10% figure is taken off the loading and also results in
an average of 10% degradation in mileage. But again you are underestimating
the load by quite a bit.
"Bill Freeman" <bfree@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:bgpqnu$rfkc5$1@ID-82447.news.uni-berlin.de...
> The term you're looking for is "torque curve" against hp. General
> rule-of-thumb is -5% for auto trans, -5% for a/c .. . all other things
> being equal. The amount of torque (i.e. pulling power, not the

acceleration
> or "hp") available is what you'll feel. Remember, horsepower is just the
> swiftness at which the torque is extracted from the engine. .. not it's

idel
> pulling power.
>
> "Franz Bestuchev" <fbestuchev@n05p4m.userealsugar.com> wrote in message
> news:bgphd3$mv3$2@peabody.colorado.edu...
> > Mikey wrote:
> >
> > > You young uns need to understand this, Take a light car with a small
> > > displacement engine that has enhanced breathing at high rpms to

extract
> more
> > > power, and you've got the wrong formula for air conditioning. Totally

> wrong.
> > > AC units require nearly the same amount of power regardless of engine

> speed
> > > this is so because you need the "most" cooling in stop and go traffic.

> So
> > > that is what it is set up for. Unfortunately at low rpms, engines like

> the
> > > RSX are at itheir worse. If you had a diesel, it would pull better

than
> an a
> > > RSX in stop and go. Diesels hardly notice the AC load in stop and go-

> huge
> > > torque at low rpms even with half the Hp of the RSX. Next car, and

> you'll be
> > > smarter.
> > > <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
> > >

> > snip
> > >

> >
> > Gah! I was trying to explain this exact point about a/c compressors and
> > their power draw to a buddy just last night.
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2003, 06:13 pm
Tom Waugh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?


<skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
> Does anyone know approximately how much horsepower the A/C unit draws?
> I notice a big difference going up hills now that I'm using the air
> conditioning. Combined with my former 94 Chevron gas down to 87 cheap
> crap, the car seems like a slug now.
>
> '02 Premium.
>
> thx!


I have some loss with my Prelude, but not what is described here. Perhaps
the increased torque in the 2.2 ltr engine of the Prelude makes up the
difference a little.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07 Aug 2003, 04:45 pm
skydigger123@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

Thx for the responses, and yeah, it's far more noticeable at a stop
light in front of the hill I have to drive up to to get home.
Sometimes I just turn off the A/C for a minute until I get up to
60-70km/hr as it's an absolute dog with it on.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:37:30 -0400, "Mikey" <%noospaam)mikling@eol.ca>
wrote:

>Bill, those are averages over the whole rpm range. At low rpms off idle, the
>loading is much more dramatic, necessitating automatic adjustments of the
>ECU thru the EICV. While idling, the load is still there and just off idle,
>the load is dramatically more, again you don't feel it stall because the ecu
>is compensating. The 10% figure is taken off the loading and also results in
>an average of 10% degradation in mileage. But again you are underestimating
>the load by quite a bit.
>"Bill Freeman" <bfree@netzero.net> wrote in message
>news:bgpqnu$rfkc5$1@ID-82447.news.uni-berlin.de...
>> The term you're looking for is "torque curve" against hp. General
>> rule-of-thumb is -5% for auto trans, -5% for a/c .. . all other things
>> being equal. The amount of torque (i.e. pulling power, not the

>acceleration
>> or "hp") available is what you'll feel. Remember, horsepower is just the
>> swiftness at which the torque is extracted from the engine. .. not it's

>idel
>> pulling power.
>>
>> "Franz Bestuchev" <fbestuchev@n05p4m.userealsugar.com> wrote in message
>> news:bgphd3$mv3$2@peabody.colorado.edu...
>> > Mikey wrote:
>> >
>> > > You young uns need to understand this, Take a light car with a small
>> > > displacement engine that has enhanced breathing at high rpms to

>extract
>> more
>> > > power, and you've got the wrong formula for air conditioning. Totally

>> wrong.
>> > > AC units require nearly the same amount of power regardless of engine

>> speed
>> > > this is so because you need the "most" cooling in stop and go traffic.

>> So
>> > > that is what it is set up for. Unfortunately at low rpms, engines like

>> the
>> > > RSX are at itheir worse. If you had a diesel, it would pull better

>than
>> an a
>> > > RSX in stop and go. Diesels hardly notice the AC load in stop and go-

>> huge
>> > > torque at low rpms even with half the Hp of the RSX. Next car, and

>> you'll be
>> > > smarter.
>> > > <skydigger123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > > news:qjuvivcsk71cgclnebu44qvqufln65e9s5@4ax.com...
>> > >
>> > snip
>> > >
>> >
>> > Gah! I was trying to explain this exact point about a/c compressors and
>> > their power draw to a buddy just last night.
>> >

>>
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Aug 2003, 04:42 am
Pahsons - Somnolent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: RSX - Losing HP to air conditioning?

Falling asleep through 's post...

> Does anyone know approximately how much horsepower the A/C unit draws?


This is the best thing I've read this morning, thanks

--
"If you can't change a tire, you're not allowed to have a beard. It's the
most basic part of a car: If you don't know that much about a car, you
really shouldn't be driving, should you?" - Jimmy Kimmel
ntlhell rolls a six... deathwind is disembowelled with a chainsaw, run over
with a rhino, fed to the fish and his computer taken away from him such
that he doesn't bore us with that inane rot ever again. - ntlhell - A.G.G-
T-A
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'00 Odyssey Losing Oil, Very Dirty bpm4736-honda@yahoo.com Honda 2 13 24 Apr 2007 10:26 pm
Losing Voltage RandyCamp Acura 6 29 Mar 2007 10:22 pm
Re: i'm losing gears while car is running! yesk13 Honda 2 5 22 Dec 2006 09:18 am
i'm losing gears while car is running! akes Honda 2 7 18 Dec 2006 05:57 pm
Losing RPMs ArthurBrazil@gmail.com Honda 2 6 20 Apr 2006 12:53 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.