Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Acura

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2010, 10:10 am
notinthislifetime@company.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

I have a 1990 Acura Integra with a manual tranismissin. There is
about 260,000 Kim (or 160,000 miles).

It still has original clutch & transmission and was working 100% unitl
yesterday with no mech problems UNTIL yesteday. I was ready to
takeoff from a lite and when I let out the clultch nothing happened
even though the Acura was in gear. As I was only about 50 yards from
my home, I did manage to limp back though it "smelled" like something
was burning. Much like the smell of brakes. Clutch?

I thought it would not move because maybe the emergency brake had
stayed on even though it was released. So I tested the emergency
brake with back wheels up & it is working as expected. So no prob
there.

Any ideas?

BIG thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2010, 10:29 am
notinthislifetime@company.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some
slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get
more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that
indicate the clutch is worn out & no longer able to auto adjust?

If the clutch is kaput, any idea of install cost thru a dealer as
almost wothless other than a $400 set of new tires.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:10:41 -0700, notinthislifetime@company.org
wrote:

>I have a 1990 Acura Integra with a manual tranismissin. There is
>about 260,000 Kim (or 160,000 miles).
>
>It still has original clutch & transmission and was working 100% unitl
>yesterday with no mech problems UNTIL yesteday. I was ready to
>takeoff from a lite and when I let out the clultch nothing happened
>even though the Acura was in gear. As I was only about 50 yards from
>my home, I did manage to limp back though it "smelled" like something
>was burning. Much like the smell of brakes. Clutch?
>
> I thought it would not move because maybe the emergency brake had
>stayed on even though it was released. So I tested the emergency
>brake with back wheels up & it is working as expected. So no prob
>there.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>BIG thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2010, 02:35 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
news:8c5mb6p6adu1q9is4knej05sd41r4pg197@4ax.com:

> One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some
> slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get
> more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that
> indicate the clutch is worn out & no longer able to auto adjust?




Your clutch is NOT of the "auto adjust" type.

If you're lucky, all you need to do is adjust it, and all will be well.

Take a look under the hood, towards the front, below (but ahead of) the
distributor. See a black cable with a very large black plastic nut in the
middle? That's the adjusting nut. Pull the cable up with your hand, then
spin the nut UP the threaded shaft with your thumb.

There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words, you
should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You spin the
nut up until that amount is reached.

If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way to
force it off. Just reply back here.




--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Oct 2010, 07:28 pm
notinthislifetime@company.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will attempt that tomorrow. BTW, to my knowledge this has NEVER
been done before as there was no prob. Not bad for 260,000KM....LOL

You are the best.

dewayne on the West Coast of Canada

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>news:8c5mb6p6adu1q9is4knej05sd41r4pg197@4ax.com :
>
>> One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some
>> slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get
>> more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that
>> indicate the clutch is worn out & no longer able to auto adjust?

>
>
>
>Your clutch is NOT of the "auto adjust" type.
>
>If you're lucky, all you need to do is adjust it, and all will be well.
>
>Take a look under the hood, towards the front, below (but ahead of) the
>distributor. See a black cable with a very large black plastic nut in the
>middle? That's the adjusting nut. Pull the cable up with your hand, then
>spin the nut UP the threaded shaft with your thumb.
>
>There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words, you
>should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You spin the
>nut up until that amount is reached.
>
>If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way to
>force it off. Just reply back here.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Oct 2010, 09:14 pm
notinthislifetime@company.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>news:8c5mb6p6adu1q9is4knej05sd41r4pg197@4ax.com :
>
>> One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some
>> slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get
>> more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that
>> indicate the clutch is worn out & no longer able to auto adjust?

>
>
>
>Your clutch is NOT of the "auto adjust" type.
>
>If you're lucky, all you need to do is adjust it, and all will be well.
>
>Take a look under the hood, towards the front, below (but ahead of) the
>distributor. See a black cable with a very large black plastic nut in the
>middle? That's the adjusting nut. Pull the cable up with your hand, then
>spin the nut UP the threaded shaft with your thumb.
>
>There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words, you
>should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You spin the
>nut up until that amount is reached.
>
>If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way to
>force it off. Just reply back here.


Tried this but did not work.

I got a couple quotes for a clutch replacement: costa * $900 which is
more than my car is worth SO I will be holding a WAKE for Suzie this
coming weekend.

dewayne
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2010, 12:36 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

On 10/19/2010 07:14 PM, notinthislifetime@company.org wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger<invalid@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>> news:8c5mb6p6adu1q9is4knej05sd41r4pg197@4ax.com:
>>
>>> One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some
>>> slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get
>>> more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that
>>> indicate the clutch is worn out& no longer able to auto adjust?

>>
>>
>>
>> Your clutch is NOT of the "auto adjust" type.
>>
>> If you're lucky, all you need to do is adjust it, and all will be well.
>>
>> Take a look under the hood, towards the front, below (but ahead of) the
>> distributor. See a black cable with a very large black plastic nut in the
>> middle? That's the adjusting nut. Pull the cable up with your hand, then
>> spin the nut UP the threaded shaft with your thumb.
>>
>> There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words, you
>> should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You spin the
>> nut up until that amount is reached.
>>
>> If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way to
>> force it off. Just reply back here.

>
> Tried this but did not work.
>
> I got a couple quotes for a clutch replacement: costa * $900 which is
> more than my car is worth SO I will be holding a WAKE for Suzie this
> coming weekend.
>
> dewayne


that's crazy.

1. the back of my local paper has independent repair shop ads for import
clutch changes at less than $500. you need to make a few more calls.

2. how many new car payments divide into $900? excluding what deposit?

3. you put an ad on craigslist and see how much the car is worth - a
good deal more than $900 even with no clutch.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Oct 2010, 07:52 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
news:cujsb6pmmoj72hhurfovgcp24fhljeiudb@4ax.com:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
> wrote:



>>
>>There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words,
>>you should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You
>>spin the nut up until that amount is reached.
>>
>>If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way
>>to force it off. Just reply back here.

>
> Tried this but did not work.




You mean you managed to get enough clearance to allow the nut to be easily
pulled off its seat by 5/32", but the clutch still slips?


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21 Oct 2010, 06:25 pm
notinthislifetime@company.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:52:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
wrote:

>notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>news:cujsb6pmmoj72hhurfovgcp24fhljeiudb@4ax.com :
>
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <invalid@example.com>
>> wrote:

>
>
>>>
>>>There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words,
>>>you should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You
>>>spin the nut up until that amount is reached.
>>>
>>>If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way
>>>to force it off. Just reply back here.

>>
>> Tried this but did not work.

>
>
>
>You mean you managed to get enough clearance to allow the nut to be easily
>pulled off its seat by 5/32", but the clutch still slips?


Yes, can gegt even more than this but NOTHING happens when I pop out
the clutch. And the clutch pedal goes down real easy, I can't feel
any pressure at all.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21 Oct 2010, 08:05 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

On 10/21/2010 04:25 PM, notinthislifetime@company.org wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:52:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger<invalid@example.com>
> wrote:
>
>> notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>> news:cujsb6pmmoj72hhurfovgcp24fhljeiudb@4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Tegger<invalid@example.com>
>>> wrote:

>>
>>
>>>>
>>>> There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words,
>>>> you should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You
>>>> spin the nut up until that amount is reached.
>>>>
>>>> If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way
>>>> to force it off. Just reply back here.
>>>
>>> Tried this but did not work.

>>
>>
>>
>> You mean you managed to get enough clearance to allow the nut to be easily
>> pulled off its seat by 5/32", but the clutch still slips?

>
> Yes, can gegt even more than this but NOTHING happens when I pop out
> the clutch. And the clutch pedal goes down real easy, I can't feel
> any pressure at all.


then the cable is broken - that's a $50 part.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21 Oct 2010, 09:20 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:Pt2dnSI6e5Hafl3RnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> On 10/21/2010 04:25 PM, notinthislifetime@company.org wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:52:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger<invalid@example.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> notinthislifetime@company.org wrote in
>>> news:cujsb6pmmoj72hhurfovgcp24fhljeiudb@4ax.com:
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:35:35 +0000 (UTC),
>>>> Tegger<invalid@example.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other
>>>>> words, you should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that
>>>>> amount. You spin the nut up until that amount is reached.
>>>>>
>>>>> If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a
>>>>> way to force it off. Just reply back here.
>>>>
>>>> Tried this but did not work.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You mean you managed to get enough clearance to allow the nut to be
>>> easily pulled off its seat by 5/32", but the clutch still slips?

>>
>> Yes, can gegt even more than this but NOTHING happens when I pop out
>> the clutch. And the clutch pedal goes down real easy, I can't feel
>> any pressure at all.

>
> then the cable is broken - that's a $50 part.
>
>



If the cable was broken, the clutch would never DIS-engage.

OP's last comments are somewhat puzzling. If there's NO resistance to pedal
movement, how did he manage to change gear at all?

I do know that if the pedal-return spring breaks, the pedal will be very
easy to push and release, and will sometimes stick in the "down" position.
The pedal-return spring is a $5 part.

If the clutch is truly worn-out, there will be 1/4" or less of threaded-rod
showing above the adjusting nut.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integra 1990 distributor problem edfr1654 Acura Technical 0 17 Sep 2009 09:11 pm
1990 Acura Integra transmission problem blueeyedbeauty Acura Technical 0 13 Jul 2009 09:39 am
1990 Honda Integra Start Problem ThePump Honda Technical 2 10 Jun 2008 12:24 am
1990 Integra shifter problem jconnley Acura Technical 0 29 Jan 2008 09:00 pm
Question: 1990 Integra LS OEM radio problem dc@aci.com Acura 1 20 Nov 2004 10:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.